Push 2 vs. Elektron gear

Have a look here, they have third party max editors for loads of different gear, as well as lots of other interesting stuff:

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/index.php

I paid for my Blofeld max editor, but got the rest on that site.

Wow, thanks! Been on that page before but never noticed “hardware control” :+1:

I think we’re of similar minds, just prefer using different gear. I love Ableton and my vsts like Diva, Microtonic, OBXD, Dexed, TAL Sampler, etc. But I also want to keep a few simple bits of hardware for color, hands-on knob-per-function factor, variety, whatever. For me, I just find I can part with my Elektrons before I part with other bits like MS20, Sherman filter, Juno 106, etc.

I also want to get something to color samples, in hardware form. Cheap though! Rytm is great for this obviously, but too $$$ for me to justify hanging on to. I was thinking Volca Sample, but I am also looking at an old Akai, maybe S950? Or an Emu or something? Gotta say I like the simplicity and portability of the Volca Sample though. Good for couch jams. Rack samplers? Not so much. But… maybe TAL Sampler is enough for me.

Edit - Nevermind. I won’t be getting any old Akai samplers. Just checked ebay prices. Holy moly. I thought these were going for 100-200 bucks a few years ago. Seemed like people were practically giving them away. Now I see S950s and S1000s priced at well… $950 and $1000. Ha. TAL Sampler plus Volca Sample it is, for me!

Some great stuff in there. One of the best things I ever used from there was the Nord Lead 2x editor. Was like OverBridge before OverBridge. Wish they made one for the Nord Lead A1.

Yup. That’s where I found the aforementioned panels. I just wish Live didn’t filter out sysex messages, although there’s some funky workaround for the Alpha Juno and a few TX81Z M4L panels I think, so there must be some way to do it.

i put together a drum rack with max4live patches to help control elements of the rytm with push. the drum rack component allows you to sequence with push/ableton. i posted it on here a while ago.

here’s the link again. hope you find it useful.

and also a version for those not using overbridge or multiple outs.

No you aren’t.
A cheap s950 will serve you well, but have you also considered s770, s612, mirage, asr10r, or an emax?
What will you use the sampler for? If just as a color box then you’ve got a lot of options…

For cheap color boxes, think Mirage, EPS16+, s612. All of these will give you what you want for $150-$250.
:wink:

The Push 2 is really cool. Still learning it though.

One thing I really prefer with Elektron over Ableton is the A4’s note designation into the sequencer. Just pushing a sequencer button and then tap the key on the keyboard to select it. Is there any way to do this on the Push, even using a midi keyboard to select the notes/chords?

You can step sequence melodic notes with Push 2. See 28.6 in the L9 manual for more detail, but in a nutshell, you are essentially entering notes in the currently selected scale directly in each step.

I just find myself getting lost in that huge grid mode, if that’s what you’re talking about. If there’s an alternate way, that would be awesome. I’ll look into that more tomorrow.

Thank you

Hi gang,

i just found a nice post from our “Ex- Octa -Demigod” / Now - Ableton Forum Administrator Tarekith.

Nice read, great music.

I wrote an entire album in one month with Push 2

https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=219202

Have fun.

Just a colour box - I have all the sequencing I’ll ever need already.

I’ve just started doing a sample-based project, lots of my biggest inspirations - KDJ, Theo Parrish, MAW - did loads of sample based stuff, but I’ve always been more into synths, very possibly because I started off working in Live.

Plus, I’ve never quite been able to get a bunch of disco/soul loops to gel properly - I suspect that part of the problem may be that modern DAWs are too good at faithfully reproducing audio in minute detail … aside from my own lack of skill, obviously.

I had been wedded to the idea that only a 12bit 60/12/1200 would do, presuming that it was only the file handling that’s important, I’m now coming around to the idea that maybe a s3000 or something might help, having factored in converters. Could get one for a third of the price of a s950 - s5000/s6000 are around the same. Mirages are pretty hard to come by around here for decent money, funny enough. Out of the Ensoniqs, the ASR-X seems to be the easiest to pick up cheaply where I am, any thoughts?

Although, in the Rytm I already have a beast character box in my setup, will be doubly so when the OB update lands allowing for easy routing of audio out of my daw (presuming it works). Did a quick and dirty experiment this morning that you can get here with audio examples if anyone’s interested.

Still hasn’t quelled the GAS, but I’m certainly going to wait until I’ve bedded in with OB 1.1 and see if this rumoured Roland sampler actually materialises at NAMM before moving on it.

History is: I have used Live quite a bit but never owned a Push before. I own a Virus TI and Rytm.
I sold my Octatrack and bought Push 2 recently and sold it within the week. Nicely built hardware though. I just found it pointless trying to learn a controller in detail. Not being Push literate I found myself reaching for the mouse anyway. I like Live 9.5 and it goes well with Rytm and Virus but thought it pointless having soo much money tied up in a controller which I would have to upgrade along with Live software and OS software.
For some reason I can easily find the motivation to learn standalone hardware but couldn’t bring myself to learn a controller when the actual software is there in the background where I can quickly dig down to a feature with a mouse.
I might buy an APC mini down the track to fire off sequences in session mode and currently looking at a Pyramid sequencer to replace Octatrack midi sequencing.

For cheap color boxes, think Mirage, EPS16+, s612. All of these will give you what you want for $150-$250.
;)[/quote]
Thanks for the suggestions!
Hey, did you ever get around to trying out the TAL Sampler? I’m interested to hear your impression of it.

Just a colour box - I have all the sequencing I’ll ever need already.

I’ve just started doing a sample-based project, lots of my biggest inspirations - KDJ, Theo Parrish, MAW - did loads of sample based stuff, but I’ve always been more into synths, very possibly because I started off working in Live.

Plus, I’ve never quite been able to get a bunch of disco/soul loops to gel properly - I suspect that part of the problem may be that modern DAWs are too good at faithfully reproducing audio in minute detail … aside from my own lack of skill, obviously.

I had been wedded to the idea that only a 12bit 60/12/1200 would do, presuming that it was only the file handling that’s important, I’m now coming around to the idea that maybe a s3000 or something might help, having factored in converters. Could get one for a third of the price of a s950 - s5000/s6000 are around the same. Mirages are pretty hard to come by around here for decent money, funny enough. Out of the Ensoniqs, the ASR-X seems to be the easiest to pick up cheaply where I am, any thoughts?

Although, in the Rytm I already have a beast character box in my setup, will be doubly so when the OB update lands allowing for easy routing of audio out of my daw (presuming it works). Did a quick and dirty experiment this morning that you can get here with audio examples if anyone’s interested.

Still hasn’t quelled the GAS, but I’m certainly going to wait until I’ve bedded in with OB 1.1 and see if this rumoured Roland sampler actually materialises at NAMM before moving on it.[/quote]

Man if you dig Parrish and KDJ then do yourself and spend $400 on an emax or a s900. Don’t be scared by the high auction prices, they don’t sell at that price, mostly.

You won’t really get that sound on the Rytm - you’ll get a different, great sound though, but not quite that Detroit thing.

I struggle with the one filter on the Rytm - one filter on a drum machine? It’s the biggest flaw on the machine, I think, bottom end kicks are meaty!

Don’t worry about how many bits your sampler is. ASR or EPS16 will give you something pretty special :wink:

1 Like

Ah, my laptop died three weeks ago, and I just picked up a new one.

I will try it - I’m sure it’s very good and useful and not as good as the real thing. Now, the difference between the two is totally subjective… :wink:

I’ve been watching your thoughts on samplers and preamps vis-a-vis color while simultaneously realizing that one of the things behind my love for hip hop is how colorful it can be due, I think, to the fact that by sampling they’re dipping their brushes into an infinite number of colors as their samples were originally recorded in all sorts of different ways with all sorts of different signal paths, instruments, so and so on (all while using a single sampler/process to Put like a finishing shine on it) I think it’s ruined me, actually. I find myself these days more able to listen through a hip-hop record than other genres. Ive also enjoyed the music you’ve posted so take seriously what you have to say about things.
I’m going to wait until after NAMM to see if this rumoured new Roland sampler is for real. Whatever happens, I’m going to dive head first into cheap samplers, preamp colors (In doing research on this I discovered the api 500 system…droooool) and that TAL Sampler looks bad ass.
Thanks for your input on the matter. It’s got me buzzing.

No problem bro.

Good luck with those endevours! Dropping $400 for a nice 12 bit sound isn’t for everyone, especially if you can get halfway there with software.

But, I feel that you should pursue what you love and be honest about the elements which you love which are lacking in your own music.

So, good luck with your pursuit! My advice, try everything! :wink:

Nuts? Nah. Its important to have a configuration of tools that are both productive and inspiring.
Push 2 together w/ Overbridge devices brings a wonderful workflow that gives you the best of everything.

I have an OB/Live template setup right now for tracking that includes Waves API 550 EQs across 16 channels and damn does it sound good. I can get a great mix balance prior to recording, and since I record in realtime, making decisions based on instinct and feel, it influences the composition greatly to have an already polished mix going in during tracking. Push 2 just adapts a world of software (and other hardware, if using M4L editors for other gear) to the Elektron-ish workflow. Hard not to be inspired by that.