Overhub Issues

I´m done with Overbridge and Overhub and “you have to buy x or y to get things proper working”

Mac Os Sierra 10.12.4 update broke my overbidge on Macbookpro 2011 and overbridge doesn´t recognize my overhub anymore. “Bandwidth to low … please use an MTT hub”. So not more then 1 Analog device.
Elektron support said maybe fix with new update - expected to be out with shipping Digitakt in May. May is nearly over. No word of a new update.

Now happy with Expert Sleepers Usamo for Sync and soundcard for recording. Yeah it´s a bit of a shame because overbridge is a great idea. But I´m tired of all the technically issues. I want to make music and not spending hours just updating this or that and becoming frustrated.

2 Likes

FWIW I had a slightly similar experience with Sierra but in my case the Overhub appears to have resolved the problem.

Last weekend I upgraded my early 2009 MacPro from OSX 10.9.x -> 10.12.

Overbridge was working for me on OSX 10.9 in Ableton.

On OS 10.12 I could see my two A4’s connected fine in the Overbridge Control App, but when trying to view either VST in Ableton I would get an error along the lines of “We are having communication issues, you may need to reconnect the cable”. This was with both A4’s each connected directly to a USB port on the macpro.

After a bit of faffing around (and almost resorting to downgrading to OSX 10.11 on a separate partition) I took the plunge and bought and overhub yesterday. Both A4’s are now working fine in Ableton now via Overbridge (I’m only returning the stereo L/R channels on each), and I’m also able to sync my MD to ableton with 100% rock solid timing (provided I return the MD audio back to ableton via the A4 inputs).

As a few ppl have mentioned above (and in other threads) it would seem that a big part of the problem is on apple’s side of the fence - some of their recent updates have really messed things up wrt usb…

My next problem is how to resolve the latency issues if I return audio from my MD / other gear directly back into my mixer, but that’s another story…

2 Likes

Sorry to hijack… should I get Overhub or will any USB3 hub with MTT do? The price is rather steep!

From what I understand Overhub has MTT, or STT for each of its 7 USB input, which is not necessarily the case for all USB 3.0 hubs.

1 Like

Ah, thanks! That makes some sense. I’ll have a good look around and if I fail, I 'll just fork out more money and get an Overhub :sweat_smile:

Yep … mine was £6

2 Likes

Thanks!

I read up on what MTT actually is and it seems that if plug in the same class of devices you don’t need MTT. It’s only used when certain devices are slower/faster. Like plugging in a usb 1.1 mouse will cause all ports to go at usb 1.1 speeds on a hub without MTT. But if you only plug in usb 2 devices it’ll be fine.

I conclude for it that Overhub is needed if you want to plug you usb 1.1 devices in the hub as the Elektron boxes. Correct me if I’m wrong though!

The Analog machines act as 1.1 devices due to electrical considerations, that is the issue.

Thank you! I wasn’t aware of that! I don’t have any OB machines except for the DT for now. But planning to expand. I tested my USB3 hub and it doesn’t slow down when plugging in mixed devices. My guess is that is has MTT.

The bDeviceprotocol is 0x3 on my hub. On usb 2 hubs 0x2 means MTT and 0x1 mean no MTT. My hub is usb 3 though. We’ll see how it behaves if I buy one of the analogue machines. Can always buy Overhub if it doesn’t work out.

My Overhub fell apart, that is the USB connector thing just came out when I took the cable out, and it was careful. Really shoddy build quality that’s for sure.

My Overhub is hosting 7 devices (USB3 connection to my MacPro): A4, Rytm, Octatrack, Tempest, Line6 HD500X, Steinberg dongle and VirusTi.

Overbridge is working simultaneously with the Virus and all the other devices.

Took Apple a couple of goes to get Sierra’s USB system solved, but it’s now all working OK for me.

Obviously, your mileage may vary, depending your system, but in my case - I’m happy.

3 Likes

Update: just tried the latest MacOS update and yes, over bridge is sadly broken.

…but this does at least demonstrate that it’s a software issue, rather than a hardware issue.

3 Likes

…and another update.

I’ve now got everything working again!

Seems that the update has meant I’ve had to shuffle things around on various busses.

So, I now have A4 and Rytm on the Overhub (plus a few more low bandwidth devices) and have the VirusTi on a Sonnet Thunderbolt USB3 adapter.

It’s all working fine. Looks like VirusTi was hogging the bandwidth or something…?

3 Likes

IIRC Virus TI is most happy when it’s on it’s own bus without a hub at all. I ran into so many problems using it since 2006 that it just became a rule for me when I had it - had to have it on it’s own directly connected USB connection. Once I did that I rarely had problems (unless an OS update was a stinker).

2 Likes

Yeah, I knew that was received wisdom. The Sonnet adapter didn’t work at all with Virus Ti until now.

I am having problems with my overhub, my external mouse and keyboard stop working in cubase all the time…

Do you have it powered?
USB 3.0 mobo drivers updated?
Mobo updated?

I run overbridge and overhub on my PC without out a single issue in cubase. Smooth as a butter with low latency settings.

So, since I recently got hold of an AK, I did a few experiments on Overhub.

It looks like the maximum number of channels I can get, using AR, A4 and AK is 8. Any more than that and one of the units stops streaming audio altogether. USB3 should be able to stream more than that.

This is using my 2013 cylinder-style MacPro (6 core) and the new 10.12.6 MacOS. Ableton 9.7.3 (although I can see the problem just using the OB control panel). All the Elektron parts of the system are up-to-date as of today. I’ve tried USB3 cable and a USB2 cable to the Overhub.

Wonder if my MacBook Pro (2011), which is USB2 only, would do any better? Might give that a go.

My overhub died. The usb3 port to my computer came loose. Opened it and there’s no protection for the port inside the hub. Just soldered on. Mine broke with a rather small amount of pressure. Anyone else with the same problem?

My MacBook is about the same, but I can get 10 channels going on there. If I try to allocate any more, I get an error. I don’t get errors for over-allocation on the Mac Pro.

I guess I could use 16 bit instead of 24 bit and get a few more channels that way…