Overbridge [pre-announcement and June 2015 launch]

IIRC Cenk has made mention of the capability to send midi both ways using OB in these videos, yes.[/quote]
My concern wouldn’t be about sending MIDI which is already easily achievable, but about sending patterns.

IIRC Cenk has made mention of the capability to send midi both ways using OB in these videos, yes.[/quote]
The way I heard that is that you can send midi from your DAW to the Elektron boxes, and that’s nothing new.

What I’am expecting about midi control is to be able to sequence patterns from OB. The song mode in the A4 is so weak… It is really not user friendly.

Because of that my workflow is mainly:
-program patterns in A4
-sample multiple time a pattern with live tweaking
-rearrange in the DAW

I’am pretty happy with this but I would like to be able to play a whole track in midi using Ableton Live and my A4.

Also I would totally love a sort of mini OB for my MD and MNM that just control the patterns.

The Virus Ti plug-in is a pain to bounce / freeze / render in Ableton.

I’m really hoping that Elektron get that bit sorted with Overbridge.

Have you tried using multi maps on the A4 for changing patterns from DAW? I find it way more intuitive and flexible then program changes. You can for example control both transpose and pattern changes using midi notes.

Posted this a while back on this topic: Multi Map to transpose and switch patterns

Come. On. Enough already, this is like apprentice trolling folks

Heh, 2011 MacBook Pro here… Hence my total lukewarm reaction to overbridge. Someday I might touch up on digital production again but for now I am sq[/quote]
2014, 2011… try a 2008 Mac pro (The first gen of the steel towers) it’s always on it’s last legs pretty much, drag in an Ozone plugin and the spinny wheel of death deploys for about 2 minutes first. My GAS has always been with external gear though as replacing the Mac with Darth Vaders new Trashcan would be *%$#ing expensive in itself.[/quote]
2008? Word! Mac Pro is an overkill for me, a well dressed version costs as much as a small car. I can barely imagine where I would need that kind of power and what other gear I would rather get instead. I feel like that after seeing professional audio engineers do miracles with old laptops to record and mix classical music thanks to external gear. I hate the force fed updates and long compatibility waits of today’s Operating Systems.[/quote]
My frustration is increasingly with apple on this one, my 2006 iMac was a fine performer, the os was sorted, it worked. I think the finesse is lost at apple on the soft side and i think the architecture of the mini may not help, i honestly haven’t had a worse experience on any apple system and i’m honestly talking about basic uses, i have no daw on it, just max and some vsts. Hoping that overbridge plays nicely on the usb3 port and that the ui won’t trip up the integrated gfx.

Elektron seems to like using Ableton (good for you) but there might be limitations to what features you can use since the plug-in is tightly connected to hardware under the surface.

I’m using Cubase but I’m expecting the best workflow for me will be multi tracking to regular audio channels and not using the cubase freeze and render. (Features that, at least in Cubase, are based upon the assumption that the plug-in is software and not hardware.)

Have you tried using multi maps on the A4 for changing patterns from DAW? I find it way more intuitive and flexible then program changes. You can for example control both transpose and pattern changes using midi notes.

Posted this a while back on this topic: http://www.elektronauts.com/t/multi-map-to-transpose-and-switch-patterns/4815

[url=“Multi Map to transpose and switch patterns”]Never tried on the A4, but I tried to use midi notes to change patterns with my MD and It was to difficult to manage…

I will take a look, I hope it is better handled on the A4.

Thanks LarsErik

starting to really dig the possibilities that overbridge will bring, so if I just want to run a cheap PC tablet for running a few VSTs , Not recording or outputting audio, I mean just to use the screen as an editor for the A4 as well some effects plugins & say Reaper DAW…
Does anyone know of such a tablet? with USB? I really have no idea about this type of device, are tablets even powerful enough to do this?
is 2gb ram and 1ghz quad core enough for this?
something like https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/hp-10-plus-101-inch-diagonal-multi-touch-wide-viewing-angle-display-hp/

also hoping the audio inputs can be routed through the overbridge but i guess probably not…

Would be great if it was possible to program the a4’s cv track from within the daw (making overbridge & a4 a usb -> cv/gate interface). Anyone knows if it will be possible to use the elektrons through/midi/cv ports to arrange other gear via daw?

really?, i’ve got a feeling its bug city and they’re struggling to get a 1.0 beta working platform.

when you look at the recent history, there has been a lot of “ohwell” moments for them with their os’es

but they cant afford to release an overbridge in early beta form like they did with the OT os and get away with it

hope to be proven wrong,

i dont think anyone knows the answers to your questions at this point

Oh yeah i’m expecting a bug or two as well but after watching all the namm demos, features im into are nearly already there. it seems like a great way to stop straining the eyes on the mini screen and add a shitload of new effects. A bit suspect on the ableton sync control and id like to know in which circimstances the 10ms latency applies but I dont see why they would not come up with a stable release in time… after such a long announcement / development period that is. If a cheap tablet can run reaper and a few fx plugs, i’m in.

Bring forth the public beta…please :angry:

At least you waited till the second day of Feb…

Should could be any day now! Going to be a pretty big deal! Really excited to see what powers it unlocks in the RYTM!

errr when? its been a while now

Twiddles thumbs

I think Friday 13th would be an auspicious day for the launch.