Overbridge [pre-announcement and June 2015 launch]

just think of the OT as an FX send in your chain, or atleast that’s how I plan to do it.

It will be nice to record through overbridge -> digitally sum/submix A4/AR audio streams inside DAW-> convert to analog through interface/DAC and then process with OT -> record back into DAW through interface/ADC

Wow OB looks super cool, let’s hope and trust in Elektron’s ability to pull this off. running a hybrid ITB and OTB setup and have been thinking of adding the usual Innerclock or Acme SND4 or waiting for ERMs new clock for access virus ti, Minotaur, microbrute, OT and AR.

Now with OB I just have to consider getting an A4 too!

I wonder if we will still be able to sync via MIDI whilst streaming through the DAW? Great if my elektron gear is all in sync, but how to sync other gear too? Any insightful thoughts?

I wonder how many streams of audio we will get? They say 10ms of latency, what about start lag?

We saw 4 streams from the A4, but will be also get 8 concurrent from the AR?

I’m very impressed with their own ‘technology’ for this; no need for a shitty aggregate! Nice move! Presumably then we’ll be able to use any sample rate we choose. (Sold my TR8 as could only run on aggregate at 96Khz)

If in fact I can use USB from the AR and future A4 I’ll save a stereo pair of inputs on my interface too. Mmm, wonder what those can be used for…:slight_smile:

i see no conflict with regards getting an OT, if the lure of computer integration is strong then the OT may have less pull, but as a device in its own right, it still stands, even in comparison to a DAW, particularly as a performable instrument, each to their own, but i can’t imagine that conflict, the AR is feckin’ amazing, but the OT is something else in terms of scope and mystery, overbridge looks amazing too, but for me it’s a complementary bonus to eminently usable machines and the creative prospects of harnessing 4/8 analogue circuits in MaxMSP is super exciting - a future OT with OB (if ever) would be a far tamer beast to me, it forces creativity and is endlessly flexible[/quote]
That’s just it. The OT isn’t suddenly useless but for a lot of users or potential buyers it may start to look a little long in the tooth or, as always, obtuse in it’s operation. If they take the plunge though, they’ll realise there is an awful lot more to an OT than what is immediately obvious.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I love my OT. I got it at a crazy price too so not in any rush to flog it and to deal with instant regret but I kind of hope I can find a use for it in my flow once OB appears and is, fingers crossed, stable in my set up.

I do think there is a conflict of sorts though. Of course, as a device on it’s own it is still fabulous but for those who use an OT in a computer set up it does seem a little less compelling. Absolutely comes down to how you use it. If you’re the sort who chucks dozens of random samples in to mangle, twist, and experiment on then OB makes not a jot of difference. If using it, as nirun suggests, more as a FX unit then it will make you stop and pause.

Personally, I had it is my main control hub. Despite Live use I was limiting myself to 16 patterns, all hooked up and controlled via the OT. Push has been gathering dust a little as a result but, OB drags everything laptop bound and puts a different spin on things for me.

A lovely problem to have when a free upgrade delivers these options and I can’t wait to get in about OB with my units to see what bears the most fruit for me!

This is it, is not that the OT has gotten worse or anything, just that the AR now looks an even better prospect than it did before - forcing me to reevaluate everything again. With my DAW’s (Live and FLStudio mainly), my various midi gear, my AK controlling my ms20 mini and an AR I would have quite a killer combo (have a tr-8 too right now but will sell that soon too, I dont hate it just isnt my kind of thing)… That said, I really do like the OT for what it can do (is a pretty unique instrument), and having been lusting after it for a while have already kind of planned where it would sit in my workflow (pretty much front and centre, being fed by my other gear)…
And wouldnt you know it, just got back from the mrs’ place to find the bank have upped my credit card limit for me being a good little boy and paying them back on time for my last gear splurge - so is a decision to be made sooner than I had thought. :smiley:

Another kiwi in Australia here, but I can’t raise anything on Australia Day, except a few groans towards the compassionately distrophied white population.

Invasion DAY 2015

Please elektron invade Australia with over bridge and an AR update

I didn’t see an answer to this earlier question in the thread.
Can anyone confirm audio inputs from the A4/Keys are ported into the DAW?
I haven’t seen anything in the NAMM update video or otherwise that confirms this potential feature.

I didn’t see an answer to this earlier question in the thread.
Can anyone confirm audio inputs from the A4/Keys are ported into the DAW?
I haven’t seen anything in the NAMM update video or otherwise that confirms this potential feature.[/quote]
Yes it can act as an audio interface for the 2 inputs
you can also back and forth audio too so you can send DAW audio to it and run filters on the sounds and return them.

this looks amazing and if it is released Q1 it would be awesome. would love to have some sort of funtionality to help sort whats on the +Drive and what sounds/samples etc you have in specific projects.

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2015/01/23/namm-2015-elektron-overbridge-progess/

1 Like

Sorry this is not for me. I have been involuntary moving away from drawing music with a mouse inside a DAW to trying to make it more musical and live with hardware instruments. I still bought Octatrack just 2 days ago knowing at full hand what Overbridge can do. Octatrack is a live concert for me and DAW is the recording studio type of deal.

I am glad they made this though, because a lot of people have been needing this feature. So koodos to Elektron for that.

it looks really good so far

for all those chomping at the bit hopefully they will take their time and release a solid product

it’s inconsequential for me since I’m pretty much all OTB…even when I record something, I’m usually just dumping it straight to a recorder (not into a DAW)

I do hope they get it out though…I would like them to get back to working on a RYTM firmware update and maybe even an OT firmware update :slight_smile:

Maybe I’ll post that video for the forth time, just for the hell of it…

Seriously. Wtf.

… and this makes for the fourth consecutive nugatory post !

It’s a different video Bruce.

Hey- I learned a new word today- “nugatory”. Thanks! That makes this thread actually useful…

Holy shit! Yeah. Nugatory.

okay, coupla facetious 'nauts on form here :wink:

this vid was ‘buried’ elsewhere, and like the other, offers nothing that the sonicstate run-through already had

thread back on track