OTmkII: Printed Manual?

It would be nice if it was just made available as a pdf to be printed how and wherever the user chose than at a specific company. Im not saying I wouldnt want to pay for said manual just prefer a choice of where I got it printed. :slightly_smiling_face:

PS I bought the pdf of the MPC Live /X Bible and asked the author if he had any plans to offer a printed version he replied no but fine if I had the copy I had paid for printed wherever I chose. Which was nice!

1 Like

PS the MPC live bible to have printed is 500 pages so will cost aprox Ā£70. But as the book is pretty much a step by step in almost every aspect of composing on the Live to me its worth it. I havent had it printed yet but am considering breaking it into aprox 5 aprox 100 page manuals, keeping the orig page numbers for index ref of course and simply print on the cover/spine which page Noā€™s each part is and chapter names on the cover too perhaps. I understand Im talking about a book for a diff device to the prig poster but nonetheless itmis an idea that could be used for most large books.

Its especially a good idea with the mpc bible as its a book you work through sequentially though of course you can just jump for reference but while Im waiting to afford the next printed part I will always have the pdf for reference. Just for me like has been mentioned before in this thread I tend to learn way faster from printed material.

2 Likes

*orig :smiley:

yes, very cool idea re/ five 100 page manuals vs 500 page manual

1 Like

Thanks, I have a cpl of 5-600 page coding books and theyā€™re too large to handle comfortably if not at a desk!

1 Like

after 150 pages in size the enjoyability of a printed manual reduces inversely exponentially.

1 Like

the hyperlinked numbers in the OT pdf manual are cool ā€¦ very useful.
but then i was wondering ā€¦ how to return to where one was?

Command Left Bracket returns the reader to the place where they were.
(on a mac)

or go next-level power user and right-click on the top toolbar, select ā€˜customiseā€™ then literally drag the ā€œPage Historyā€ left right arrows up from that window onto the toolbar.

Will you change your mind ? :slight_smile:

i still like the idea of a community-sourced extension of the Merlin Manual for potential print or simple download.

the hyperlinks though do make things much better, especially with the newfound ability to return to previously read page.

1 Like

I used printme1.com to get a spiral bound, double sided printed copy of the PDF manual.

The page #s at the bottom are slightly cut off but still legible. If I had to do it again, I would have saved a copy of the PDF scaled down to 95% to prevent that.

$14.55 shipped with the spiral bind option.

8 Likes

If you need printed manuals printed try out www.morethanjustprint.co.uk , they provide manuals at a really cheap cost too.

3 Likes

$20 but totally worth it.

3 Likes

I got ones printed for the OT and A4 last year, money well spent indeed, provided nice bedtime reading. :slight_smile:

Looking for a cheapish place in Berlin
to get a printed copy of the updated OT manual.
I do have a traditional copy center around the corner but that joint is very, very expensive.

@hausland any ideas or other Berlin residents can help out?

EDIT: like the @joeyfivecents version for a twenty!

EDIT: job done, couldnā€™t wait ā€¦ ordered at https://www.kopierladen-berlin.de/
= 15,14EUR

Hey, which service did you picked exactly? Iā€™m also in Berlin an look for an affordable solution.
Thanks

1 Like

updated ^

1 Like

Couldnā€™t find any printing service in Norway that would do less than 5 copies. After checking out a lot of options online, I just ordered several manual prints (among others OT, DN and MD) from https://www.doxdirect.com.

OT mkii 1.40 manual with spiral binding, color-printed 300gsm card front/back and 160gsm black-and-white inside pages was Ā£14.35. They do free international shipping for orders over Ā£20 (Ā£10 inside the UK).

I had to insert a blank page in the pdf after the cover because their card cover print is one-sided and would throw off the page layout otherwise. If you go with a foil cover you wonā€™t have to do that, and itā€™ll be slightly cheaper.

Iā€™ll let you know how it goes once I have the prints in hand.

I just sent a print order out to my uni/campus copyshop (about 7.50ā‚¬ for the manual in b/w A4 with ring binding, no hard front/backcover).

I added a blank page after the cover and before the back page. In my opinion the design of the new manual (OS 1.40A) should now fit better to the ring binding, as I want the offset on the binding side. Without the second additional blank page the back would end up on the wrong face of the last sheet. The numbering now doesnā€™t add up anymore, but thatā€™s not as important to me :grin:

Iā€™ll pick it up tomorrow, will report back if it didnā€™t work out.

My prints came in:

Really satisfying to have edge-to-edge covers, quality paper and perfectly printed illustrations!

8 Likes

How much were they? And after brexit, wonā€™t you get charged VAT etc. when delivered to Norway?

They do look really good though.

/thomas

Digitone: Ā£10.34
Octatrack: Ā£14.35
Machinedrum: Ā£12.64
Cs-L: Ā£8.69 (this one was fully colour printed)

Books are actually exempt from VAT, so I doubt Iā€™ll have to pay anything. But weā€™ll see. Technically I guess this is a service, which should have VAT. DHL is pretty slow with charging for tax processing, so I wonā€™t know for sure until a few weeks have passed.

2 Likes