OT users, do you sample with OT or Daw?

Is there any advantage with sampling audio with OT? Been using it for a month, at the beginning I thought I can work completely dawless, but in reality sampling slicing and filing are so much easier in Logic Pro X. Am I missing something? Or actually most users samples with a daw and then fire it up to the OT?

Mostly DAW here since it’s fast and precise.

1 Like

I don’t use a DAW, but sometimes I will bring samples from other sources, however sampling on the OT can be fast and efficient once you get the muscle memory in place, naming is probably the slowest part of the process, but can be done pretty quick after a while. I’d suggest concentrating on using the OT to sample for a few more weeks to see how you get on, it does get faster IME, if you don’t jive with it switch back to using the DAW.

5 Likes

Straight into the OT for me.

If I’m sampling via a daw then I figure I’m just as well staying in the saw. Using the OT gets me away from things.

5 Likes

Sampling in OT. Recordings are quantized most of the time, with synced gear (including me with human jitter), so I don’t need audio editing.
Mixdowns recorded in OT.
I use a DAW for precise audio editing, timestrech following a grid, in order to have perfect slices in OT, or quick mastering.
No serious projects for the moment.

2 Likes

I sample with the OT, primarily.
The more interesting phrases that I want to “mangle” with the OT and really let it do its things, are sent straight out from the gear into my OT.

It also keeps me in practice, as when I go a few weeks without sampling on the OT, I quickly forget how to do it. :slight_smile:

DAW is used more for recording longer multi-track recordings from my gear, or short drum single shots that are triggered from OT’s MIDI tracks.

6 Likes

Depends on what you want to sample. OT absolutely shines at loop recording. Instantly usable, bothing to polish or do.
Vocals I’d do in a DAW unless you have some nice outboard deesser and comp.

2 Likes

I sample into whichever one my hands happen to be on at the time. No preference, since I have OT and DAW both routed to/from one another.

1 Like

Almost exclusively NOT the OT. I prefer to whittle things down over a few sessions. I take a lot of big recordings on a Zoom, or record a whole record and snip it apart on the laptop. PLus then I have the rest of the record if I ever want to go back and pick at it again.

1 Like

Key point here, for this the OT is very precise and efficient. Also if wanting to sample a bunch of notes from a synth like for chains, sequence the synth on the OT whilst sampling it, and you can even do upto 4 synths at a time.

Also be sure to experiment with realtime live sampling, set up a record buffer on a spare track lay out some note trigs and record trigs, sample from any mix of inputs, add some fx, use conditional trigs, how far down the rabbithole do you want to go? :wink:

5 Likes

That’s actually next OT’s challenge I’m preparing : realtime live sampling / mangling of only 2 jacks plugged in OT.
No audio editor. Live recording, no DAW. :slight_smile:

1 Like

2 jacks? - You feeling generous? :joy:

1 Like

My jack’s buzz is tuned in D, I can get realtime nice kicks with it. :smile:

3 Likes

Ha, sounds like fun!

Make sure you turn up the level on those swing trigs! For EXTRA JACK!

3 Likes

And don’t use old jacks, they must be new :rofl:

2 Likes

Okay, we got way off topic there. Apologies to the OP.

I can certainly see the organizational benefits of sampling through a DAW. I might have to give it a shot. :slight_smile:

I’m uploading an example and create a topic in a few minutes…:slightly_smiling_face:
It’s not off topic, it’s about sampling jacks. :wink:

I’m hoping you did a new jack swing track now :joy:

Bonus points for a smooth and suave French rap over the top :wink:

3 Likes