OT and Ableton and NanoKontrol

Greetings,

I have a NanoKontrol 2 lying around and I look for a way to control the mute / unmute / solo and other settings of the OT…

The solutions I have found so far all incorporate an external midi USB Hub.
As I understand the need for an USB Hub is necessary if you want to use the OT without a computer connected.
Like in Korg NanoKontrol to control OT

But, as I have a setup with ableton is there a chance to route the midi through the computer from the NanoKontrol to the OT, without the need for the HUB?

Has anybody experience with that?

regards

F.

OK… I advanced a bit

Should also mention that I gave each channel on the NaniKontrol the required Midi Channel from 1 to 8 and the auto Midi was set to 11…

Setting the Midi Input to Mackie within Ableton resolved the general communication between the NanoKontrol and the OT
I mapped the transport Controls and that worked.
I mapped a fader and it controls the volume of track 1
And that is where I am stuck

1.) There is CC 07 or CC46 for the Track Level and I am not sure which one to use?

2.) Appendix tells me I could use Note values 68 and 69 for track control… But I am not sure if this is the way to select the track I want to control with the Nano… In Appendix C2 I did not find another value to select a track.

1. The Volume faders do only control the first track, even if I select the T2 on the OT…

So some stuff is working but on other topics I am stuck…

Can you point me in the right direction?

regards

F.

You can use either.

What happens if you try it?

Which MIDI channels are the faders set to use?

What happens if you set a fader to use the MIDI channel number (11) that corresponds to the OT’s Auto Channel number?

Both work , yes
cc 07 and 46…

But it does not matter if I set the channels to 1 - 8 or to the autochannel 11.
Only the first volume - Track 1 - is controlled or, depending on my attempts, the other extreme is that all tracks are controlled by the first level.

I don’t get it managed that every track is controlled by its own channel…

Concerning the track selection: The note values I mentioned above do work.
I can step through the tracks, but again I cannot control the levels…

regards

F.

I made two screenshots with the CC Settings for transport and volume sliders and the midi channel assignement… Does anyone see the error i make?..

It is possible that Live is changing the channels on which messages are sent. I don’t use Ableton Live, so I cannot give you an answer. How have you set up Live: is it only sending MIDI messages on channel 1?

thank you for your resonse

within live I set it to “all channels” …
I suspect live as well to alter the midi information but I have no way to work around it…

I will check tomorrow if the incoming midi bars are flashing. They should for each channel I try to control in the OT…

The midi information is transmitted through ableton

When I move a slider the assigned channel 1 to 8 light up within ableton…
For the moment I would say the messages are received in ableton.
It seams they are not transmitted…

As I route the OT audio through ableton via external instrument and I have to assign a midi channel, I suspect here is the problem…

What do you think?

regards

F.

Can any forum members who are users of Ableton Live help faktoid solve this problem?

Id not used the external instrument, I don’t think its adding anything for you.

not quite sure your experience level with Live, so sorry if this is a bit basic.

ableton can only send on one channel for each track, it doesnt just pass thru midi channel info, it defaults to channel 1

I would simply create a midi track for each midi channel,
setting the midi in to nano/channel N, midi out to octatrack/channel N
e.g. nano/1 to octa/1 , nano/2 to octa/2
(press the little I/O button to reveal the routing info)

then create an audio track for your audio input, set to external 3/4.
(you can create more audio tracks for each output on the octatrack)

not sure if this helps, if not perhaps you can post a screenshot which shows all the tracks you have created and their routings.

1 Like

I think you nailed it :slight_smile:

I will try the one track per midi channel workaround… haven’t thought of that yet…

I will report back

tegards!

F.

That did not work as well …
It is not possible to assign several tracks to different midi channels…
I have to use the external instrument within live to put the OT into the mix.
And by this I cannot assign more than one midi channel…

I tend to buy the octakontrol or a usb host and than try to get this to work :slight_smile:

thank you for your help but I give up with this effort :slight_smile:

regards

F.

?
sure you can, ableton has completely free routing of midi channels. just create a track, assign its midi input, and then output in the I/O routing…
perhaps take a quick look at this :
https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/routing-and-i-o/

I have to use the external instrument within live to put the OT into the mix.
And by this I cannot assign more than one midi channel…

use an audio track, and just set its input to your audio device input… (you need to set the from to external, then you can set the input channels

I tend to buy the octakontrol or a usb host and than try to get this to work :slight_smile:

thank you for your help but I give up with this effort :slight_smile:

regards

F.

sure, but perhaps worth a quick read on the manual…
the routing in the ableton is completely open, so you will be able to do what you ask…

if you don’t want to run ableton, you could also use something like MidiPipe, which would just let you route the midi data through… depends if you want ableton in the mix or not :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for the helpful information.
I will take a look into that in the evening…

That is the point with software solutions… there is a million things to do before one gets its music started…

There is a lot that can be done but that comes with a price…

regards

F.

I want to thank you all for your help.
I am glad that with your assistance I finally managed it to get it up and running.

As you suggested I created midi tracks 1 - 8 and another with channel 11. Each midi track talking to the corresponding channel of the midi interface connected to the OT.

The Basics are setup on the nanoKontrol2 and I can mute / solo / control volume and the effect level by now, which is a real improvement.

Again thank you all!

regards

F.

1 Like

:+1:

glad its working, have fun.

btw: as i mentioned before, if you just want this routing, and don’t need a DAW, then Id recommend MidiPipe (its free, but you can donate)
http://www.subtlesoft.square7.net/MidiPipe.html

great tool, for your purpose - just chuck in a midi input and a midi output, configure each and your done :slight_smile:
(but its swiss-army knife for handling midi on the mac, can do lots more if you need it too)

1 Like

I will take a look into that.
Thank you for this hint. Never heard of that software before.
regards.

F.

1 Like