Octatrack with the Digitone & Eurorack - Set up ideas

Hi Folks,
I’m a happy and proud new owner of a Digitone but also an Octatrack I got few months ago.
I wanted to share with you my set up just to know if I’m missing something. Perhaps I could connect them in a more powerful way ? If so, please let me know :slight_smile:

This is a studio set up. That means I have an MOTU (5x5) Midi Interface and a Tascam US 20x20 Audio Interface, both connected to my Laptop using Ableton Live. Here are both set up :

Audio

• Octatrack outpus to my Audio Interface Tascam US 20x20
  • Digitone outputs to my Interface Tascam US 20x20
  • Meeblip Triode Synth outputs to my Audio Interface Tascam US 20x20

Midi

• Octatrack Midi OUT to my MOTU Midi IN
  • MOTU Midi OUT to Digitone Midi IN
  • MOTU Midi OUT to my Yarns (Midi to CV module) to my Modular Eurorack

USB connections to the Laptop

• Arturia Keystep & Push 2 usb connected to my laptop

I’m wondering if it’s better to :

1. Send the sound from my Modular to my Octatrack
  2. Send the sound from my Digitone to my Octatrack
  3. Or so …

I saw different topics such as this one https://www.elektronauts.com/t/digitone-octatrack-partnership/54702 and I’d love to understand the connections. Is is something possible also when you are using a software such as Ableton ?

Thank you guys, always cool to talk about set ups !

One way you can improve: connect the Digitone Outs and your modular to the Octatrack Ins. That way you can use all the sampling goodies, OT-Effects and the scenes (including crossfader sweetness!) to your synth-sounds.

From the OT connect Main Out and Cue Out to our Tascam, that way you can still record multiple tracks (at least 2) of your set to the computer.

And, of course, you could add a CV to midi module to achieve overall madness…

Lot’s of way to do crazy experiments with the stuff you own…

edit: you could, of course, use the internal mixer of your soundcard to do all the routing. that way you get all the flexibility without having to move around cables.

Thank you !
Yes this is exactly what I was thinking but if I do a set up like that, I’ll be able to record only the master in one Ableton Track, no ? I’d like to be able to record each track for each audio or Midi Instruments (notes).

I’m doing techno so for now - to learn a lot - I only stick to loops for now, that’s why I didn’t experiment all the connections to now.

I just don’t understand what a CV to Midi modular could bring me more tbh. If you have the time, can you explain it ? And I didn’t take a look at the mixer part of the Tascam, I - for now - just use it as an Audio Interface.

You can use the cue out of the Octatrack to record single tracks.

I do that quite often to improve on certain aspects in a track. First i record the track as a whole, maybe split up in two parts that i already know to be worth splitting (ie. all drums + percussion -> main out, the rest -> cue out). Later on, if necessary, i can record single tracks over the existing recording.

Sometimes i just lay a foundation in two tracks (main out, cue out), then later on bring in additional elements two by two, or, if you use Main L, Main R, Cue L, Cue R as mono tracks, even four by four.

The cv to midi is just an idea, but not really necessary. That statement has more been the untamed gear slut within me, forget about it :wink:

Well I like the idea tho.
But that means I have to set up my Octatrack in studio mode, right ? :slight_smile:
Sounds like I’m gonna have lot of fun in the next few days !
And next year, I’ll hope I’ll be able to get the AR (MK1 or MK2)

Sounds like a plan to me :cheeky:

Thank you :wink::grinning: