Octatrack - vinyl rewind effect

Hi, I was wondering if you could help me please. I am trying to work out how could I program a vinyl rewind effect - say my beat sample is playing, then somewhere in the middle of pattern beat rewinds as if it was rewound on vinyl, let’s say at slow speed, so only two snare hits are heard. Something like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8RScFSDvbc - but much slower.

I have tried to manipulate RATE param and tried to use slide trigs. Got some nice effects but nowhere close to my goal.

I was wondering if someone can share their experience if they managed to create something similar?

Many thanks

1 Like

More precise example?
What timing in the video?

Hi, perfect example can be heard here, timestamp 1:26 - 1:27

thanks

1 Like

In a pattern loop?
Maybe it is not exactly what you want but it seems much easier if you slice your loop.
Plock RATE=-63 on reversed slices (example).

1 Like

Ah! I did not think about that… Great idea, I shall try that.

I also have DJ controller, could try load my beat sample in Traktor and then rewind there and sample Traktor outs into OT. But I was more after a workflow so I could use principle on any beat sample without having to engage with more gear.

Anyway, I shall try your suggestion.

Many thanks

1 Like

assign fully reversed rate to scene B then slide over quickly 3/4 of the way through a pattern and flick back to A as the pattern loops

3 Likes

:content:

4 Likes

I wonder if this would have a similar effect, parameter lock rate to -63 on the steps you want backwards then goto trig setting and put slides between all the triggers.

@sezare56 suggestion has worked. As well as @jb. Given the fact that I can automate crossfader via MIDI loop, I shall spend time programming transition and - voila! - beat rewound

All, thank you very much for your help

Regards

3 Likes

this is what I did first. I ended up having something similar to deck stop, then deck start effect. But thank you for your input, much appreciated

1 Like

oh alternatively just put a trigless trig locking rate backwards on the drum track, easier. assuming youre using a sampled drum loop

3 Likes

And assuming it is not in the middle of a loop, because it won’t play at the right point of the loop after (exept with slices or start points). :wink:

@jb - yes, sampled drum loop. I did try this method but it would start reversing from the beginning of the loop and when vinyl is rewound it is moved backwards from the moment when DJ touches the vinyl. I have also tried to change start position of a sample but was struggling so much, that I ended up asking for help here. But never mind - thanks to all of you my issue is now resolved

Regards

@jb - actually, yes, I just tried that - using combination of STRT and RATE a very nice rewind effect is created without much effort!

Just in case, for constant reverse for live recording :

1 Like

@sezare56 - simply amazing, thank you very much

1 Like

Makes my day. :slight_smile:

I do this or a vinyl stop semi regularly. I use the ramp shaped lfo aimed at the rate. Can’t remember off hand if it’s inverted ramp or regular but fiddle around and you’ll hear it

2 Likes