Octatrack MKII issue discovered

There is a balance to be struck though. In the short term, releasing an unfinished product might retain more preorders (and therefore cashflow) but in the long term if the company gains a reputation for broken / unreliable products they will lose their core customer base.

In software development especially though, short term pressures usually win out.

2 Likes

Well you would have been happy in the 90s and early 2000s then, because relatively gutless releases were the norm.

Not sure if a bug or not but I noticed that nothing would playback when I changed record/playback from 16 bit to 24 bit until I did a hard reset of the machine. Not a big deal at all, was just going to give it a bash after @previewlounge mentioned it on another thread.

Without meaning to derail things, I would say that build quality is a step in the right direction from what I experienced with the DT I bought. No issues found at all with the buttons. I also purposefully left the OT on for ages playing the same two patterns. No issues at all. I never play live but I thought I’d see how stability was for me and no issues so far.

1 Like

something to mention - always use standard letters or numbers when naming Projects, Parts, Samples or a Set.

years ago the mkI started acting up when i named a Set with something other than standard letters and numbers.

3 Likes

I’m very happy on the whole with my mk2. One thing I e found is xvol on scenes doesn’t work consistently. Anyone else found this?

probably the same as the XLV bug addressed at Octatrack MKII (MK2/2nd Gen) specific bugs thread

1 Like

That’s a left over bug from mk1, after changing mem config you need to power cycle or save project before making changes then reload project after…

2 Likes

Happened 2x today. On the Sample AED screen. If you let it sit too long, whole machine locked up.

In 25 years I didn’t buy any buggy machines. That’s new to me. Release before properly working Os too.
That said, if it works almost perfectly at the end, with original functions, musical and sound possibilities, why not.
First buyers = beta testers ? So be it.
I won’t pay to be a beta tester.

2 Likes

Just a reminder : this thread was a notification about a specific and notable issue

General Mk2 bug reporting/discussion should be done on the thread listed a few posts back, it’s more likely to be picked up there by Elektron and also other users wondering about an issue they’ve also found

3 Likes

The only thing holding me back from an Octa MK1 is the power needs. I have sourced portable battery units that work great for my AR and A4 (12v 2A), and the new Octa appears to be the same. Portability is a must have, unfortunately it’s gonna cost me a fair penny.

Excellent points for me to consider!

I’m just excited MK1 Is finally getting an update

1 Like

Must be a really nasty bug for it to take this time to solve :weary:

They do?? Awesome. Hope that will apply to mkones too… its easy to forget to save recordings

Are you sure of that ? Recordings are still there after reboot, without saving ?

1 Like

Are there any news?

The response to my ticket indicates that the developers are working hard and with priority to provide a fix and it doesn’t seem a trivial one. Usually Friday is patch day in Elektron land. Other than that, no.

1 Like

I also somehow got the impression that they were, but I’m a complete noob so I thought I should test it out to be sure. So I just tried two things:

1. record to a recorder buffer, stop, look at it, yes there’s audio there, and power cycle - the recorder buffer was empty on boot.

2. do the same, but do a “save proj” first, then power cycle - the recorder buffer was empty on boot.

Maybe in the past, I had pressed play after powering up, which of course hit the now-armed record trigger and filled my recorder buffer again.

1 Like

Also curious to confirm this, big if true