Octatrack mk2 - The new high res encoders are amazing!

Just curious to know if anyone can speak to the “hi-res encoders”… How many params are benefitting from the increased resolution?

To clarify - I just want to know if there is an actual increase in resolution? So far I’m not sure I’ve seen it in the videos I’ve seen thus far.

So, you mean they are not high resolution and they are not encoders and its not a ball? :new_moon_with_face:
Mind = blown

Also curious about this :grin:

Is this a good thing? The old encoders seem better when dialing precise values. And that’s what precision is about, it’s not about dialing filter sweeps.

Sounds like the OT mk1 is better for live performance then as your audience will perceive your greater struggle with your knob twists

4 Likes

Check out my recent post. I replaced the original encoders with indented ones! They work wonderfully and now allow you to feel! every value. Very good for live!

1 Like

I asked @CarlMikaelBjork, apparently, it is still 128 values max. Different from DT.
Maybe difficult to change in OT’s OS.

The new-style knobs in the DT and the OT MkII (assuming they’re the same; I only tried those on the DT) behave almost exactly like regular potentiometers (except that they’re continuous).

The benefit of this is that you can now “play” smooth and fast parameter changes live that are still precise and free of large value jumps. Think twiddling the pots on a TB-303 while an acid line is playing. :slight_smile:

The downside is that it might be a bit harder to dial in specific values. This might be annoying if you’re one of those people who likes to set everything to even numbers or multiples of 8…

Is there any chance OS has a part to play in any of this as well? Thinking more in relation to the smooth press and turn behaviour.

That was in relation to the sample start value… Haven’t done a systematic check of all parameters.

2 Likes

I love it, I still overshoot on the MK1 because it’s so long between values that i start to spin as fast as i can. On top of that you have to asign everything to the fader to make smooth changes in a live performance. On the Mk2 you can just play the knobs without stepping.

Because the there is no decimal values on the Octatrack Its still easy to dial in what you want.

2 Likes

Can you please do so, soonish?

I’m used to MkI knob behavior, not to A4’s. Not easy to use similar knobs with different behaviors…

I was looking at that the other day and might do it to mine when it’s off warranty.

Not likely. That does not sound like fun.

2 Likes

Alright. Let me rephrase. Are there ANY params you have noted as having an increased resolution?

Damn, you mean there are others that do this, too? I feel a little less bad about being so anal now.

3 Likes

Taking that as a no, then.

All the time. This is one of the reasons I love the Boutiques so much; they force me to just use my ears instead of trying to get nice values on the display… :confused:

1 Like

No.

But to be fair - I don’t approach a new instrument in a comparative, researching fashion. :wink:

The software (firmware/OS) side of things is unchanged as far as I know. But the feel and precision (not in added decimals or resolution) might very well be perceived av increased.

I think.

2 Likes