Octatrack MII dawless sample loading - ways you do this?

Sweet that’s cool to know, be cool that I can invite friends over with their guitar/intstruments etc and whack them into the input and record some weird sounds and develop it into some textures. But mostly the idea will be outdoor field recordings of the City surrounds and embed them into the track molded up with my machinedrum

I think for guitars you’ll need a proper preamp in front of the OT inputs.

1 Like

well consider that, doing it that way, you’re restricted by the max. sampling time on the buffers… if you connect it to a computer, you can load much longer files into the card.

You don’t need a computer for xferring SD card audio… a phone will do it with an appropriate accessory like a mobilelite wireless

2 Likes

It’s pretty decent length for a lot of uses…

Max rec time without samples in Ram :
16 bits : 8m28s (508s)
24 bits : 5m39s (339s)

3 Likes

Preamp is better but it can record. Anyway you can sample a cable buzz, the inputs without nothing to make white noise, the metronome!

Guitar straight in OT without preamp :

Internal recording without samples or inputs, nothing plugged self oscillation :

Metronomes topic :
Octatrack Metronome Only Warp Experiment Science Lab

Or record your Machinedrum !

2 Likes

with the OT preamp ramped up a bit to capture guitar from microphone, it may help to experiment with the Noise Gate.

to find this menu setting goto Project-Control-Input.

go subtle at first and try a couple of settings higher … could help to gain a cleaner guitar or field recording.

Contact mics make great food for the OT.

2 Likes

oh, it’s much more than I remembered… RAM includes the flex list right? in that case I probably don’t have as much, since I have multiple sample chains there (nowadays is pretty much the only thing I use that list for)

I think there’s a way to know exactly how much time you have remaining, somewhere in the flex recorder setup

Don’t need Flex for recorders. :slight_smile:
It’s in Recording Setup 1 and Memory Config

396 Seconds
2933 Steps

1 Like

correct I tried to sample my guitar direct into the OT and it did not record any level of sound. What preamp do you recommend for someone on a budget?

1 Like

this guitar track sounds fantastic

1 Like

You can plug it in straight, max the mixer GAIN, use compressor.

I’d recommend an amp simulator. I’m quite happy with a Mooer Ge200, not too expansive. I plug an Analog Drive before and it does the job.

Check Mooer Radar too, with one of their preamp.

Torpedo Cab is a good cab sim (power amp option), need a preamp too.

The cheapest can be a SANSAMP like, emulating Tube Amps with FET transitors.

Apps, Guitar Rig…

If your making samples to use later you can make a simple sampling project to access all the ram and just load that when you want to make samples… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cool yeah I’ve a pre amp so that’s no worries

no sampling just field recordings. The only sampling involved will be one shot hits loaded into the drum machine when I’m at a friends studio. I’ll load it up with some 808 kicks other than that I want the cold texture the machinedrum offers me when required.

their will be no tech like apps/software avail or involved in my studio. I’ll stick to a simple pre amp as I’m not looking for super sharp recording the dirt and crackles are fine by me 0)

1 Like

Why not fill card with tons of samples elesewhere from a pc?

Then in studio you can be totally ITB

Also record from places like, phone, dj mixer/vinyl, mp3 players, other synths/boxes etc…Anything with an audio out.

I think it’s been mentioned a bunch of times that it’s really not advisable to move the CF card from the slot, since it tends to break easily.

3 Likes