Octatrack like a synth WIHTOUT external sampling etc

Hi guys.
Some time ago I set out to make OT synthesize sound without sampling.
Everything turned out, the results below.

1. Set Lo-Fi in both FX slots of any track.
  2. Set parameters of both Lo-Fi FX’s:
    DIST - 127
    SRR - 127
    BRR - 0
    AMD and AMF parameters will act as a oscillators.
    NOTE: in first FX slots the AMF-parameter must be set at 100 or higher.
  3. Set VOL parameter in MAX . Enjoy.
    Tune your sound with AMD and AMF, switch up a NEIGHBOR-track and sampling results with SRC3 - MAIN on any track.
    Of cource, normalizing, channel manipulations etc. because the sound of the recorded sample is quiet. It is also necessary to sum up the channels, because in the resulting sample one channel sounds louder. Summation, Normalizing, Saving. Ready to work with MONO-sdample.
    But its really allows you to synthesize sound using only the internal resources of the device.
    (From my original post http://soundmechanics.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1673)
13 Likes

I’m doing this too, and these days with jacks.
Compressor with max gain after LOFI is really efficient.
I’d rather use sample length, retrig, comb filters than AMF.
You can get a nice white noise and make drums with it. No need for normalizing. I use it for realtime purposes.
Max Comp with Filters distortion is good too.

You can also use feedback with Cue, resampling, use self oscillation. I’m gonna make an album with OT only ! :loopy:

Realtime weird self oscillation

14 Likes

I LOVE this!! Really awesome, kinda like no-input mixing on the Octatrack. Great for noise music!! Would love to see other people’s tricks for doing experimental stuff on the Octatrack!!

2 Likes

Remembering this phrase :smiley: :heart_decoration:

2 Likes

Depending on whether you consider sampling the inputs unplugged to get a snippet of A/D noise cheating or not, here’s a workable way to synthesize a 4-part harmony from one single track.

The voices are (added) as follows:
Noise sample: 5th
LFO (BAL): Base
Comb filter: 3rd
LFO (COMB FILTER FB): Octave

Since I only used one effect slot, I threw in a short delay at the end to even out the funky panning.

10 Likes

I love this, man! Any way to shed some more light on the process?

First, record Input ABCD (all) with a rec trig max Mixer GAIN.
Play the recording with a Flex. Max VOL, LEVEL. Maximise it with filter DIST, compressor GAIN or lofi DIST.
Add another fx, Neighbor track. Send it to CUE.
Record and play CUE, add fx, send CUE for feedback.

1 Like