Octatrack and A&H Xone DB4

If its got midi over usb this should be a great option.

You could also use a cheaper usb midi controller

Careful, Xone DB’s don’t work on OSX Mavericks, no date on drivers still, if they’ll ever be released at all… They also don’t work properly on Mac USB 3.0 ports, which all post-2012 Macs have…

As far as channel volume control goes on the OT…there’s already great capability with [Function]+(Track) to mute/activate and also the (push-in)+adjust pots to rapid raise/drop the track volumes.

However, I use this mixer with my OT & AR to mix the units with a DJ deck-based set-up and the built-in features allow you to do amazing things.

There’s much more that you can do with a DB4 but for the OT, I stand by my comments above as you can do a lot in both situations.

If you only have OT, you won’t need a mixer to control the volumes like that. There’s other ways to set-up movement (Amp).

The DB4 allowed my exploration of technologies and possibilities which could have been pure madness if it didn’t have the capability it has…

You have all of all of these ‘things’ you can do once the mixer is at the heart of your sound control.

Personally, I stopped running Thru Machines on OT to mix the other units by converting all synth sounds to samples and once I did that I stopped worrying about A4 because it allowed me to bring back the crucial element of software that was getting neglected as I focused on writing through A4’s tracks. I downed it to two primary boxes doing my own songs, stopped running a track as a Looper because the DB4 has a looper and now they play free with EQ, Loop, FX……no need for a Master on T8 either! -

Add-in a K2 and you have Dry/Wet which makes transitions fluid ~save an OT track….

You will have ways to send MIDI control signals to the Elektron boxes and can map those external controls in Ableton ~ mapped on the DB mixer.

Lastly, Apple may have complicated things for the DB4 but A&H are on it.
At the end of the day, you can run a two deck vinyl or DVS set-up, 4 CDJs, Ableton+Maschine Sets at the same time….all on a DB mixer and still have inputs for two Elektron boxes… no other mixer can beat that. You have all that freedom to find what works for you…

This works for me…and everything depicted there plays nicely with each other…including the laptop (out-of-view)…that I no longer focus on…

1 Like

wow, good to know that it has no midi out — this means all controllers only work over USB - if you are not using latest Maverick - what a shame.
I was testing this mixer and as mentioned it would fit perfectly into my set –

OT, A4, Virus, DCM8 Command Station – and Idea was to use on a Mac Abletone or Trakor for Tracks, but well…

Maybe best would be then to wait if A&H release a new version…

Or I order one for tesing and try to work around throgh ableton … lets see.

A&H DB4 is actually as said the only Mixer which has all thsi capabilities, … which there would be an MID Out

that is awesome if it would work

Running the DB4 from a USB 2.0 hub allows compatibility with Mavericks. I’ve been using this setup for months without any problems.

I still have dropouts occasionally, and have had real nasty system-crashes after long idle-times. No way I’m taking my DB2 on stage like this, consider the Xones strictly for home/hobby-use in this state…

For that pricetag that’s pretty bad, would never recommend anyone using it. Also A&H have the worst support of all companies I’ve ever owned gear from. Unresponsive, vague, unknowledgable, and telling half truths. Awful brand I really regret having bought into…

That’s not happening to everyone…I’ve used mine for 3.5 years and have had no internal system freezes or laptop-based software crashes ever…and I’ve been using the hell out of it over the last 13 months running Ableton Live 9 with Maschine 2.1 as a plug-in + Traktor Scratch Pro DVS in parallel with Wavelab 8 recording all of it over the DB4’s soundcard… in the writing phase with DB4 MIDI assisting deck functions in Traktor and K2s+Push control Live/Maschine. All of that ends up as samples for the OT, and USB MIDI to the analog Elektron boxes because I get back down to vinyls and just the Elektron boxes running my tracks on the analog inputs… I can’t allow software to break the performance so it was “back-to-basics” with the DB4 used without DJ/Live software…the USB cable to the laptop is for recording and just TTs+vinyls and Elektron hardware running my tracks and edits for hours and hours without a glitch until I’m done…that works! I can experiment with the software writing set-up in Live mode but don’t need it.

Another forum, but eventhough some of the users have had issues we all know Mavericks and 3.0USB in MacBooks came after the DBs…so consider that people still use the Xone 92s for the last 10 years…all over the DJ and club industry and a lot of newer technology came afterwards which won’t work on that mixer either… all over the community A&H mixers are considered the best and creativity isn’t hindered by any of that. Again, I’ve done xtreme running of multiple software, plug-ins, and controllers with DB4 at the center of creativity and expression for the last 3.5 so I simply cannot feel those issues if I’m staying away from these issues which can stop you mid-set.

I admit, I am holding out against Mavericks with an older MBP but it doesn’t mean I’m not able to do it…that free update has been in my App store for over a year now and mine could handle it but it all comes down to mine being solid and a little patience while things work themselves out helps me avoid the headache some are experiencing. The OP is considering the mixer for their set-up and we should give both sides for consideration.

***Apple’s decision to introduce the advancements is natural but overcoming the issues is not the fault of A&H - those guys are working on it but you don’t see Elektron worrying about this kind of stuff. 2.0USBs are in the black boxes these days so one day we could all be *€£¥’ed…yet that mixer in its rawest form is still a Pro option and worthy of the positive reputation it has as itself (without any other software things people are trying to use with it).

After the writing phase I use it with vinyl only and the OT+AR to allow that ability to change directions and the only thing I add-on is one K2 paired to control the loopers…no need for software, you play-in the hardware on beat and in time with an Elektron box as the Master for the other hardware slaves and it can work flawlessly until you are done…if the OP considers this just know that a lot of work into the track set-ups within the Elektron boxes goes a long long way…the DBs have the FX, filters and loopers in standalone mode…got all that onboard and you won’t be needing a laptop, DVS, software MIDI controllers, etc. connected there…no need to cry about that stuff when the show goes bust… in the rawest form the things I’ve just listed will work…it’s the best mixer with and without software and adding hardware made by Elektron is a great idea.

I’m simply stating Mavericks is unsupported, as are USB 3.0 ports on macs. Something someone wanting to buy one might want to know, as a 93 is prob a better choice then. Not being on Mavericks on an old Mac does not really give a relevant opinion about this matter, so your no problems are great but mean nothing to anyone on a post 2012 Mac other than nostalgia.

Other than that I agree, I like the core sound and mixer. Otherwise I would not have bought it. The USB 3.0 problem was not communicated to customers properly until it exploded on the forum and mavericks killed all osx support.

Bad support, sorry, but there’s no excuse for that.

Anyway, back to the game, 5-0, Jesus…

Hi,
I’m looking at a Xone DB4 as a mixer for my Elektron boxes. Having no background in mixers: how do I get the sound from my Elektron boxes of joy into a mixer. I currently plug instrument cables into my soundcard but I don’t see similar inputs on the DB4?

Any advice/obstacles/thoughts would be gratefully received.

Cheers,
Adam

Also, anyone with this setup using Elektron boxes and Ableton, I’d love to hear from you!

You don’t say which instruments you have, but the main outs on your instruments are probably 1/4" jack sockets. The line inputs on the DB4 are RCA jack sockets. Therefore you need a cable that has suitable plugs.

You could look for something like this:

or you could buy cables with RCA jacks at both ends, plus adaptors:

1 Like

Just posted this, the DB4 is fantastic for mangling Elektron boxes and for transition tricks with or without the K2 combination.

Works also great in combination with Ableton using the 4 usb channels. When using ableton you can sync midi, if you are not using ableton, but have your laptop connected and running, I’m using Midipipe to keep my Elektron boxes 100% in sync with the mixer.

Edit: it’s the other way around, I use Midi pipe to keep the mixer 100% in sync with all my other instruments. The DB4 does not have a class compliant midi interface, so you need to use a computer to sync, via Ableton, Midisync or other programs.

Cheers Peter.
Yeah, neglected to mention the boxes specifically. I’ve got my Octatrack and A4 that I need to connect.

I best get ordering some lead then.

Cheers

Cheers Vandamme. Your post is really helpful.

I was a little worried that I’m making an impetuous decision. The DB4 looks incredible and I thought would be an amazing machine to have. Seems to bring so much possibility to a setup.

I’ve read some old posts with rare complaints about it working with OSX and also it’s beat detection ability.

Do you find out reliable and that the looping all stays synced?

Cheers for your insight.

Adam

No OSX compatibility issues, A&H still seem to update the drivers, hope they will keep doing this for a long time still! Given that the 92 is also still sold, I have some confidence in that.

The beat detection is very good if there is a beat in the pattern you play. For melodic patterns only it might go off quite a bit, that is why I use midipipe or Ableton sync, those are fed in turn by the R-ME multiclock keeping everything tight in sync.

I got my inspiration from @DaveMech btw watching his recent Youtube movie, in case you are not convinced yet :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cheers. That’s good news.

I too was inspired by this video.

I’ll be running it with Ableton so I’m hoping everything will be tight.

Hi guys,
The DB4 can generate its own clock so simplest way to keep loops in sync is matching this with whatever your using eg OT etc.

As far as i know, loops won’t change speed/time stretch to match any changes in bpm after the loop was captured, whatever the clock source.

Great mixer i’ve had for years & still love the transition options for djing. Can really sculpt with it.

Temporary fix until the PX5 arrives.