Novation // Circuit

Hé… Thats a nice jam! I bought a circuit this weekend… sold the Rytm eventually… I like the Rytm very much but use it less then the A4.
I jammed a little bit with the circuit and I like this little funny box, I think its a great jam and live tool! I’m gonna try out the sampling this week, maybe the volca sample has to go too :imp:
I’m glad that you find yourself again (musically) in a little music box of trics. Maybe not the octatrack anymore but you have fun with your circuit![/quote]
Thanks, that’s very nice of you to say :slight_smile: I do like the places the Circuit takes me.

Here is what I read :
[ul]
[li]If several MIDI tracks have been assigned the same MIDI channel, [color=red]only the active track will record notes or CC data. [/li]
[/ul]
It doesn’t mean you can’t record simultaneously on two different tracks assigned to different MIDI channels.
But I may have overlooked something.[/quote]
Please go ahead and investigate, and report back here with your findings.[/quote]
Just wanted to report back on this : as stated in the manual, one can record notes/trigs only on active track…
Seems obvious now.

1 Like

As someone who likes the Elektron Machinedrum and Monomachine (mmm, FM+), is it possible for the Circuit to act like a portable ‘lite’ version of those? I’m not expecting it to be nearly as rich, but wondering if it can do wild metallic / “p-lock the LFO on this step and then reset it” kind of things?

Or is the Circuit really more straight-up virtual analog style / ‘normal’ beats and rhythms kind of thing? How experimental can it go?

Yes. It has its own version of p-locking and a deep sound engine for the synths. The drum sections allow for custom samples and some of the delays are weird enough.
Also, the workflow itself will genetate stuff you’d never come up with on another instrument. You’ll enjoy it for sure.

Hello,

I have this little box of tricks a couple of weeks now, and I like it! And now with the components update its a little sample box too. A couple of months ago I did a track on the Analog Rytm with only my voice and it was so much fun that I did the same with the Circuit… But now a whole live set (why not)… Because I didn’t use the 2 on board synths I had only 4 tracks available, but hey… I had fun! (sorry about the little pops once in a while, its the sample mangling in the circuit that causes it) I recorded it live, no audio editing afterwards. Its al my voice and the circuit filters and fx.
https://youtu.be/cHLO24wFbBo

1 Like

18 posts were split to a new topic: Novation Circuit sequencing Analog Four

Ahaha a misreading made me think I should try filling a Volca Sample with vocal samples.
:tongue:

I had missed your video, @YloopZ… Interesting sounds with this interesting machine that I try not to GAS on too much…

1 Like

My new wet dream - A Novation Circuit with Monomachine synth engines instead of Nova. :yum:

2 Likes

Thanks lyingdalai… Yes it was a bit of a challenge to make a liveset with only vocal samples (and only 4 tracks) and not touch the two onboard synths. I like to do a bit of sounddesign with my own voice and the limitation on the circuit made me think creative. I’ve learned that from the Elektrons :wink: I was gassing for the Circuit before the sample update, now that you can use samples it was a nobrainer for me and I like it, its a funbox! So now when I get to choose one synth To take to the park, the circuit or the OP-1… Pffff… Difficult choice…

Made me think… I’ve got a Volca Sample… Maybe lets try something with some vocal samples… :smile:

I have absolutely no GAS for this little thing, no I don’t.

Yet, better is coming, as they say in Betterfell…

Glad I kept it. This is like real time sample change recorded straight into the sequencer. Pretty amazing.

My friend loaded her Circuit up with Analog Rytm drum samples.
BIG SOUNDS!!!

This new update looks interesting, can anyone explain exactly what are the new features in that vid? Circuit looking more and more interesting.

If Novation manage to allow user samples for the synth voices then I will be forced to pull the trigger on this, it’s fantastic as it is but my wallet would open up itself if I could use samples on all parts.
I’m just trying to talk myself out of buying one now!

Circuit has four drum tracks - one sample per track.

Until now.

Any note within any drum track can now trigger any sample, and you input this as you play live into the sequencer.

Pretty powerful.

Are you trying to empty my wallet?

I’m having a conversation with your wallet right now. It’s opening up quite nicely.

1 Like

Hah! Nice…
Then it really is out of my control.

My wallet is all ears.

Yeah, I mean, it’s not your decision, you just have to go along with what your wallet decides, or there’ll be unnecessary conflict.

Fantastic updates keep coming to Circuit. The external midi sequencing in lieu of 1 or 2 Circuit internal Nova synth engines is powerful as well.
I am purchasing a second one to give to my Godchild, for posterity reasons. She is now only 6 months old but think she will grow into it eventually:wink:

3 Likes