No songmode, what's a nice solution? (digitakt + digitone)

Lobby Elektron to make it possible to save pattern chains.

5 Likes

You really think that’s going to work? People asked for MIDI sequencing in Analog Four for years and they refused to add it. Song mode has been intentionally left out and is not coming to Digi series.

Midi out on the analogs is orders of magnitude away from saving chains on the digis. Some things are too difficult to implement regardless of how many people ask for them. Not to mention, ‘something equivalent to song mode’ has already been promised so it’s natural to expect it.

5 Likes

It was ”promised” a year ago by Simon. And just today Simon commented on the subject with a ”no promises” comment in the main Digitone thread. It’s not coming.

Btw, Simon did comment about A4 MIDI sequencing too a couple years back and said they are aware it’s very much requested etc… still they developed a new revision of the synth without it included.

1 Like

The major difference being the mother of all chain modes was promised for DT while Midi sequencing for the A4 never was.

6 Likes

Elektron doesn’t seem to be aware they have promised this, as Simon commented today on the subject that he ”cannot promise anything”.

things also requested by users that WERE added:

-trig conditions
-fill mode (actually requested separately but added as one feature)
-A4 filter FM
-sampling on Rytm (though it came in the MKII… still, they listened, and acted)
-more Rytm synth machines
-OT OS update

Yes! I do think that if enough users ask for a way to save chains, chains being a feature already implemented, it is certainly more likely to happen than if we all sit here and mope about no song mode. What is wrong with a bit of pragmatism?

My glass is half full because I can actually see the water in it. My optimism is informed by my experiences.

2019 EDIT: Elektron indeed added A4/AR MIDI sequencer output. :thup:

8 Likes

I’m one of the few with a functional digitakt for whatever reason. The only two bugs that have popped up on my machine are the dual encoder midi bug and the program change delay.

The program change delay was first mentioned by someone using ableton as master to a digitakt I believe. Another person on the board gets it what slaving the DT to an ot. I get it when slaving my DT to my monomachine.

No sure if you could have ableton be the slave but still control the digitakt with Program change messages properly. I am not an ableton user.

The problem with this place is that the times when elektron do reach out and give a bit of a heads up, they get met with a tsunami of negativity for reaching out!

It’s a dammed of they do, dammed of they don’t scenario.

An ob hub/mixer type device would be very nice.

1 Like

I get the problem when slaving the DT from my Engine MIDI sequencer. The DT basically needs to change the pattern immediately upon recieving the Program Message, not wait until the current pattern finishes like its current behaviour.

Is there not yet a way to sync the units up via pattern number?

Even when you do this the DT seems to lag. Someone mentioned if patterns are the same length across machines it seems to work. It doesn’t do so in my case.

But with the DT as master the MNM stays in sync using the elektron sync protocol. This of course eliminates using song mode from the MNM at the moment.

1 Like

Why don’t people just buy octatracks if they need more features than the DT has? Seriously, I’m not trying to cause drama but literally anyone who is in a position to buy a DT is in a position to buy an OTmk1 at least, a used OT is currently the same price as a new DT which is ridiculous for how much more you get featurewise. If people buy the DT it’s not enough but an octatrack is too much. Choose what you want, buy what you need and if you don’t then you’ll never be satisfied. This is not aimed at anybody by the way, I just see a ton of threads moaning about DT lacking song mode

5 Likes

This is a large assumption of people’s cash flow and how they purchase instruments.
As well as DT and OT aren’t even really comparable except for the fact they both utilize samples.
Personally i got a DT cause it was exactly what I was looking for.

4 Likes

I don’t need another reason to give OT another shot- I gotta fight off the temptation.

However- if I DID- using the inputs of the DT/DN could suffice for an interface for the outputs…which would be pretty convenient…huge sample bank on the CFD and inputs could be used for audio from my iPhone/iPad… Midi arp…

Nope- don’t need reasons- the DT/DT should be fine

…The Cue outputs could go out for the external processing in the DN…two tier two boxes wouldn’t be TOO much space…

Hmm…

The what?

Yeah it’s not actually called that. But if you activate sync in the midi/program change menu across elektron boxes they will stay in sync pattern wise. Did you not know this?

I don’t think it is, they’re similar price ranges, at absolute worst a couple of hundred more if you’re talking used DT vs used OT. If someone can afford to spend hundreds on an electronic instrument with patience I’m certain they could save up a little more, and if that’s completely impossible it probably isn’t the best idea to put that kind of money into a digitakt. The OT and digitakt are comparable imo, they’re both elektron style samplers, one is the big brother. The digitakt is great though, and as someone who got exactly what they needed you aren’t one of the people I was talking about. You commented before me but I didn’t mean to direct that at you

1 Like

You know what you really want :cheeky:

1 Like

That’s why I bought an OT MKII instead. That and the ability to run a 64GB CF card.

However not everyone can afford the MKII, and for those who can only afford the MK1 used, they may not want to take a risk buying a possibly out of warranty device.

And then there is the learning curve. Many DT users are put off by the OT workflow. And while I believe the MKII went to great lengths to improve this, again, it is not as accessible, financially or “grab&go”-wise as the DT.

I reckon for many, song mode, or at least chain saving is all the DT needs to tick all their boxes. And the OT is perhaps overkill. There is a lot that OT can do that I do not need or utilize, so I imagine that this overkill quality is even more pronounced for a DT user that wants an arranger.

7 Likes