New Guy...Made A Sample, but Can’t Trig It

Looked at another noob thread and just started a new project. Went fine! Having other issues though. I just haven’t developed the muscle memory with this thing yet :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s a short but tricky road you’ve started on

2 Likes

Man, it feels like Groundhog Day with me and this machine…still completely in the dark, but determined

1 Like

I guess you placed a trig in Rec Setup : that’s a recording trig, so it records again.
Press NO if you want to go back to regular Grid Recording mode.

Thanks! Thought I did, but…

You didn’t describe how do you proceed. Is it a bass guitar? Do you want to record synced with the sequencer ?
Why don’t you like Pickups ?
Did you try One Shot rec trigs? (FN+trig)

Once recorded with a recorder RX (X=track number), you need a Flex machine with RECORDING X recording buffer assigned. These are at the beginning of FLEX SLOTS list.

Place a trig, done.

May I add : take your time. I advise to take the manual, read a chapter, do some practical exercises on the unit to make sure you understood everything, then do the same for the following one.

Reading @Merlin’s famous “Thoughts On OT” is a fabulous experience when you struggle to see how OT different parts can be used in a coherent workflow.

But skipping the manual is just not an option.
Be patient, the reward is immense.

1 Like

Thanks for the encouragement fellas! Tonight was a mixed bag. Started a clean project, made one sample of a bass guitar I had looped elsewhere and added a kicked and mellotron sample I already had loaded into the CF card. Tried to make another bass loop sample…nothing!!!
Broke down and bought the macprovideo course with Thavius Beck. Followed his instructions to the letter (as best as I could figure)…and nothing! No samples…over and over again. Now it’s 4:30am and I’ve wasted another day…fuck, this is getting old fast!

1 Like

When I started with all this I used pickups, but got pretty random results…quite a few folks told me not to bother with em…just sample. Just as random and messed up as pickups for me so far

Probably that day wasn’t wasted at all. You have learnt a lot, but it is too soon to embrace - connect the points, look overall . Audio/midi path has multiple small details we overlook or bypass, every day…
Here you can still read posts like: “Check SCENES!” that solves everything.

Give yourself some time to acquire knowledge and know where mistakes can appear. Then you are able to search and find.
When I lost sound I usually search from the end and check:

• scenes (they overwrite parmeters and p-locks)
  • p-locks (they overwrite parameters)
  • parameters (they can hide sound, RATE, HOLD/REL)
  • recorder settings and trigs (IN, RLEN, QREC, OneShot)
  • playback trigs (conditions, OneShot)
  • effects settings (BASE/WDTH)
  • mixer routings (MUTE, VOL, CUE)
  • cables, connections…
  • not mention midi…

These and many more are often overlooked at the beggining.

Years ago my friend decided to jump into MIDI world. He bought midi keyboard, midi interface and connected everything to PC. Easy? Weeks later, after replacing midi cables twice and still hasn’t any connection, he called me to come and look before he throws everything out of the window. Well, everything worked properly but he followed “colours school” from childhood (cameras, decks, RCA) when you connect red jack to red input, black to black, yellow to yellow. So MIDI IN to MIDI IN and OUT to OUT. Right? :ecstatic:
Sometimes a simple thing drives me crazy before I tap my head - “f…k! of course, amp page!”.

Please understand that there could be a lot wrong guessing if it’s unknown how exactly your recording process looked like, what have you tried, checked, what is connected and how is it set…
And keep trying!

4 Likes

How are you doing the sampling?

Last night, I was just freezing a few bass guitar loops on a Montreal Assembly Count To Five pedal, then attempting to sample into one of OT’s inputs…no record trigs (messed up trying that the night before!)…just made samples and put them into a sequence…a couple anyway until I hit another wall :slight_smile:
Funny, I purchased a tutorial series which keeps messing up and telling me I need to purchase it (I did and got a receipt). So even trying to watch tutorials about this pain in the ass machine is a pain in the ass :slight_smile:

Lol. The OT works on the quantum: spooky action at a distance.

So you were able to sample and then you weren’t? And You’re manually sampling (doing sone kind of action with the red REC trigs)?

So you were able to sample manually, put the samples in the sequence (static or flex?) and then all of the sudden the same thing that was working didn’t work?

MKI or MKII?

2 Likes

shhhh…

2 Likes

It’s an MK2.

I was just doing manual sampling because I was really screwing up trying to set live recording trigs :slight_smile:

That was me around 5am :slight_smile:

1 Like

Had very little free time today, but I spent about an hour with the OT. Still couldn’t make a sample on track 4, for some crazy reason I can’t figure out. Any other track everything was smooth sailing. I was able to load a sample, so I just said screw it and started putting together a jam…figured I needed to just have some fun and unwind before the gig tonight :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I found that lack of sleep has a terrible effect on my resistance to frustration, on how well I handle that frustration, as well as on how bad I become at finding solutions to my problems.
The OT is a very complex machine, I only started approaching sampling a few weeks in (as part of my plan to ease up on the otherwise steep learning curve, I concentrated my efforts on sample edition and project management) and most importantly, I almost always shut down the machine and move on to another synth or something when I start becoming frustrated with it (which almost never happens anymore thanks to muscle memory). Stopping your experiments to unwind with a jam is an excellent example of handling it well :+1:
Your efforts will soon pay off.

3 Likes

Lack of sleep has certainly played into some of the frustration, for sure!

I managed expectations yesterday and it helped. Just gonna play with this jam and try a few things. Have a fly date tomorrow, so I’ll be stepping away for a few days…that may help :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Its easy to mess up settings on the OT at first and then not know what’s going on. In the beginning when learning things it’s always best to start on a new project so you know that nothing you’ve done is getting in the way of it working. Also when following instuctions or tutorials, it’s important to follow them exactly and do nothing more or less than what they say… In my post history I’ve explained how to sample manually, using pickups, and recorder trigs a bunch of times, I’m too lazy right now to type again or link them though… Once you get it it’s easy and works really well… Good luck! :rofl:

4 Likes