New Elektron Box 2016

Same here. don’t need a copy of existing stuff…

I hope Elektron does NOT join the modular nonsense.
I would appreciate some FX unit or any totally new idea :smiley:

Cenk said they were not interested in modular, and it would not be an OT V2 or A4 V2.
He said it would be something new and completely different to what they have done int he past. This to me suggests it may not be a direct MD / MNM replacement.
The mixer / fx unit might still be on the cards. He seemed to indicate that the new unit does not even have the same form factor as current boxes. I have no clue what it could be after what he said, but I am getting less interested / excited as I would have liked to have seen a new synthesizer black box, possibly something digital - hybrid based. A new mixer based unit is not really that interesting for me.

Cenk said right at the end that it would be for ‘the studio people’, and he said before that that it’s not a replacement for any existing Elektron hardware, it’s nothing like they’ve ever released before, and he was getting excited about the suggestion of a mixer.

So my guess at the moment is a mixer/sequencer with a unique flavour that can be the ‘Elektron hub’ of your setup. Connect everything up to it, feed Ableton into it too, etc etc.

It was a good demo as usual… was amazing when Cenk discovered what happens when you start LFO’ing the compressor, which I’ve never tried either. I reckon he spent hours experimenting with that afterwards!

1 Like

Im hoping it can add something to my setup. Im dawless at the moment, so that is not a factor at the moment.

1 Like

whatever it is, I hope Apple drops their new MBPs before it, this would make purchase decisions a bit easier.

Though tbh I’m not a recording artist. If it’s a piece of kit specifically for studio use, for people who have several things they want to mix together, it’s not for me.

1 Like

void, Im feeling the same way. i would rather more sound producing boxes.

1 Like

yea… well Cenk said he’s excited about what’s coming, I don’t think he’d say that about a mixer…? well who knows, PR talk blablabla

2 Likes

For studio use, a rack mounted sound module? :grin:

2 Likes

btw, Elektron are not listed as exhibitors for summer NAMM

btw, Elektron are not listed as exhibitors for summer NAMM

well, then we all need some

1 Like

i was thinking the whole idea of the Overbridge technology was to allow USB multitrack INSIDE some kind of upcoming Elektron box/device… like something with a bunch of USB inputs, a master device or hub or something

my theory is that the computer functionality was the secondary intention…

of course, i could be dreaming but i do that a lot

btw at the end of that video with dataline, he says “we have new machineS coming” … as in, plural

so, could be a whole series of boxes/devices… and it seems like they already confirmed its not modular… but he also said “not like these machines at all”… which makes me think it may not even be a sequencer style box

2 Likes

Yeah when he says machineS it leads me back in the direction that they’d do several smaller pieces (à la Teenage or Korg) perhaps with a powerful interconnect/sequencing/mixing between them. I hoped this wouldn’t be the case, but I’m intrigued. The shift is to smaller, more affordable pieces of gear you can buy one of each paycheque rather than monolithic once-a-year purchases that represent an uneven and risky revenue source for the business.

When he said machines I thought he was referring to rytm updates.

2 Likes

Yes exactly what I thought when I watched that video. Some type of hardware multitrack recorder. He talks about how frustrating computers are… Have to worry about computer updates etc…he then says it will change how you make music

I could be reading too much into it but a hardware standalone multitrack recorder is my guess as well

It was a good video to watch as well, I picked up some tips, thanks for posting it

Yeah, a multitrack recorder with USB inputs. For studio use, for making music, digital, with a mixer + FX for tracks.

Seems to be a logical step forward :thup:

Didn’t Elektron say they won’t overlap on current products though? Octatrack is still in production/selling well as far as I know… Would really like to see an OT2 but not sure it’s going to happen any time soon.

I’m hoping it’s a kind of pumped up OP-1 with 3 octaves mini keys, portable/battery, 8 tracks, digital synth/sampler hybrid, multisampling functionality, digital/sampler drum machine, Elektron sequencers/arp etc, +drive, standard din midi, imaginative fx and timestrech… I could sell half of my gear if someone made that box…

1 Like

This idea would be good too.

Fingers crossed for OT-II

They’ve been saying they need to replace that old midi interface (TM-1) for years, so I am putting my money on it being some kind of in / out box. Maybe an audio interface or even just a straight up overhub / midi in out device. Any kind of synth / drum machine / mixer / fx unit would overlap with current gear.

I’m such a sucker for joining the hype train lol

2 Likes