Need help :Looping-different chord progressions per pattern

Hey, so i’mtrying to figure out how to set up a project where i am going to be livelooping on a few flex tracks and switching between 3 patterns. The buffers are maintained within patterns. Is there a way to use parts or some other trickery to record a loop on one track, move on to a second pattern and record a new loop and then when moving back to the previous pattern, have the original loop? Apart from saving and assigning, because i want to do this live.

Crossfader Transition Trick, or Plays Free, or One shot?

Thanks but i think that way i lose a track (for sampling) and still have to write over my current loop or deal with the current recorded buffer use it or mute it). I want to build a song live with no pre-recorded melodic instruments and have at least two chord progessions. I could just prerecord and populate bass patterns and something else, and when i loop stuff in make sure it works in all contexts, you know, make it easier on myself,…or arrange the song so i arm ; play live and record the bass on the first past of the transitions.

i guess my question is explained better as: is there a way to make a track able to read a second buffer apart from it’s own? Can track 4 read track 6’s rec buffer etc?

Use Flex slots ‘Recorder 01 to Recorder 08’ ?

2 Likes

Yep if you use Flex, recording buffers are independent from track recorders.
If you use Pickups, they are linked. I guess you still don’t use them.

You’d have to change the active track for each recording / pattern. 8 recordings max.

For the bass, what about a longer recording, and plock different start points for different patterns ? That would save 2 recordings.

Pickups have overdub.

1 Like

Hmm ok. Wasn’t realizing that j could access the other buffers. Will try it later today.

The issue with the longer p locked bass would be how to record it live where it sounded like it made sense.

The buffers are maintained until you delete, re record, or power cycle. The assignment of buffers to flex tracks is stored in the part. Any buffer can be assigned to any track, only PU’s are linked to the buffer. You can do what you’d like using parts, or you can sample lock the buffers which would be saved in the pattern… Either way you’d use a different active track to make the recording as the recorder controls are linked to the track number, but the playback can happen on any track.

All manner of live looping can be achieved without ever saving the buffers, there’s nothing you can’t do with a buffer that you could if it was saved except maintain it after power cycle. The buffers exist just as any other samples in th flex list, you can assign the same one to all 8 tracks for example if you wish…

3 Likes

Parts can store different Sample Assignments. You can use them to swap out Samples in real-time while keeping the Pattern of the Samples intact. You can also use them to prepare different Patterns with different Samples since the Parts are tied to the Pattern. Parts are exactly the way how the Digitakt handles its Sample Assignments by the way. Without actually using Parts though :wink: You are limited to 4 Parts on the OT though, so choose wisely.

1 Like

@Open_Mike

Awesome, thanks guys. This is one of those things i just realized i knew…and forgot.

1 Like

4 parts per bank = 64 parts per project. :wink:

Per Bank? Really?! Mustve missed that! If i werent too lazy i would put the OT out and double check if youre right. But i know you are :wink: I assume it. I think so … im tired today :frowning: sorry.

1 Like

Me too ! Otherwise I would have done a 128 steps loop with 64 parts in Arranger to prove it ! :smile:
(Pattern / Arranger minimum length is 2 steps)
Actually I planned since a few months it but too tired to do that kind of things at night !

1 Like

Blasphemous!!! @sezare56 ‘s word is the gospel. :laughing:

2 Likes

Im a DRTFM guy you know :wink: So im still learning the OT :smiley: This is so great about it: You always find out something you missed after years - even if it takes other people to put your nose onto it first :smiley: Guess how long it took me to find out that the Filter actually has an Overdrive … not before i read it somewhere here on Elektronauts! :slight_smile:

Time for bed now. Gn8 everyone!

1 Like