Mysterious Midi Channel 1 problem

I want to use OT to sequence some eurorack via Yarns but midi channel 1 doesn’t send anything. I’m hoping someone (@PeterHanes) can help me troubleshoot.

What MIDI channel did you have set up on OT track 1?

I can set it to midi channel 1 and nothing comes out, I can change it to channel 2 or whatever and it can send midi notes on that channel.

Did you have any other OT tracks set to the same MIDI channel?

No, tracks 1-4 are mapped to midi channel 1-4

Were you able to set the other OT tracks to use that MIDI channel?

No, if I reassign another track to that midi channel, no midi is translated.

Are you able to use other MIDI channels on OT track 1?

Again, yes.

Does the problem persist if you start another Project on the OT?

Yes, I started a new project because this was happening and the problem persisted.

Is this a problem with Yarns?

No, this is my default load file on yarns and it works with both the digitone and the digitakt.

I know I’m missing something, I just need a little help.

Not sure im reading this right, but are any of the audiotracks set to channel 1 also in the midi settings, so that there could be a conflict?
But if so midichannel 2 or 3 would also not be working. Might be a long shot, but always good to check project settings.

2 Likes

So i go into project settings and check which submenu?

Project > MIDI > Channels

Hopefully, that’s what you were asking. I’m sort of new to the OT as well…especially MIDI…

speaking of MIDI though, can you answer a question for me as I might get 1 row of Eurorack for monosynth duties.

This Yarns you are using, this can set 4 different VCO’s to 4 different MIDI tracks on the Octatrack? If so, that’s great…I’ll have to look into that.

2 Likes

I have switched them all off and it makes no difference.

1 Like

Ah, okay…I had a tough time with the settings when using Ableton Live so I am definitely no expert on the MIDI side…when I get some hardware to sequence it’ll be better, I’m better if I can be hands-on when learning stuff.

1 Like

That’s definitely one of the reasons I find myself drawn to analog modular gear. It either is connected or it isn’t :laughing:

Unfortunately there is no analog module that will live time stretch and slice a sample while sequencing at the same time.

Yarns it pretty sweet. Even though it only has a two character display, it’s super easy to set up and ends up being a great way to debug midi issues away from a computer, since it reliably displays whether or not it is receiving midi on any given channel.

1 Like

Update:

I opened a third project and it seems to work now. I opened up the previous proj and it still wouldn’t trigger on midi channel 1.

:man_shrugging:

2 Likes

it’s often a good idea to start with a fresh project to test things out, so many settings that are easily overlooked can screw everything up!

3 Likes

Whatever the PROJECT menus are, OT can send midi with MIDI tracks with any channel, as long as it is set in MIDI NOTE SETUP page.

If a midi channel is shared between AUDIO and MIDI tracks, AUDIO tracks won’t SEND midi, and MIDI tracks won’t RECEIVE midi on that channel.

2 Likes

Check T1 settings again, T1 can be muted, track 2-3-4 soloed, VEL can be set to 0…
Eventually change part to set parameters again, pattern notes / plocks would be kept.

Thanks for the patient replies.

how do I know when something is soloed. If that is the case I definitely did so on accident.

Check midi tracks leds in mixer mode.
Solo tracks are green.
Cue + Trig to solo / unsolo.

2 Likes

Deep breath…so, does this mean I can sequence my RYTM using Midi channel 1, to mute/unmute the RYTM kick, the THRU machine on audio track 1 will still play, even when set to midi channel 1?
I have RYTM, OT and 2 synths I want to sequence from the OT and my previous understanding meant I was leaving Midi channels 1-8 for the OT and running out of channels.
Sorry for still not getting this!

Apparently no problem. What are you afraid of?

Whatever channels are, midi data can be sent by midi tracks, and received by audio tracks. No problem to receive audio on a Thru track.

For audio tracks? (MIDI > CHANNELS page)
Do you need to control audio tracks or send midi with the crossfader, knobs, trigs ?
Do you want to record external midi with midi tracks?

Ok, i’m wanting to control mutes, volumes etc. of the RYTM which will take 12 Midi channels, I also want to sequence 2 synths.
I thought that if I used MIDI channels 1-8 on the OT to control external RYTM Midi this would affect the sequencers of OT audio tracks 1-8 - so placing a trig on step 1 on a thru machine (to hear audio) might effect Midi on Midi Channel 1, or a sequence/trig on Midi Track (channel) 1 would effect trigs on the Thru machine sequencer.
From what I have read today this is not the case and I need to action several, painful face-palm manoeuvres…

You can’t use audio tracks to sequence external midi gear. Midi tracks only, hence 8 channels max.

You can set some AR tracks on the same channel and control them by groups (T3/T4=Channel 3, T5/T8=Channel 4, etc).

I’d use Perfs, scenes…

Have fun! :content:

It’s so weird seeing this old thread again. I am happy to report that I have not had an issue with the midi tracks in the subsequent 2 years. 100% user error, although I still am not quite sure which error it was.

Starting a new project and being very conscious of the set-up was the best diagnostic advice though.

2 Likes

:content:

1 Like

I need more Midi Channel Control and I cant afford any more gear.
I don’t suppose anyone has a spare Cirklon going spare, that they want to give away?
Thanks for all your help Sezare56.
I might have to use my laptop with my novation sl mk2 which has 2 midi out ports (very useful)

1 Like