MPC to Octatrack... Thoughts?

This is EXACTLY what I’m talking about. SUPER DOPE! :fire:

1 Like

I saw that you posted on here after a while. I hoped it was a confirmation of you ordering the OT…

My favorite piece of gear. I want my joy to be yours(but, you know, with your own OT and not mine)

:joy: I will definitely be ordering an Octatrack very soon. I’m refurbishing my MPC first, and then purchasing a unit VERY VERY shortly after. It’s an amazing machine I see. I’m looking forward to going thru the growing pains with it! I will definitely post a pic when that happens.

My best guess would by the end of October. :+1:

1 Like

That is exciting! I’m happy for you! Learning the OT was the most fun I’ve ever had learning. I’m still not a master at it, but that with the MPC and you’ve got an endless array of what sounds you can squeeze out of a sample. And both pieces of hardware harbor a very intimate relationship with the sound. I can’t wait to hear what you come up with!

(Also, I tend to take my samples on a more experimental course, so if you come up with any tricks on how to make sample magic while remaining on Earth, I’d greatly appreciate it!)

overtimechris, I’ll reiterate that combining the MPC and the Octatrack would be killer. I’ve had my MV-8000 for 11 years at this point and I’m looking forward to performing live with the 2 boxes together. The work flow and theories behind the designs of the two couldn’t possibly be different but I think they compliment each other.

Be prepared to invest time in learning the Octatrack. Luckily the current manual is better than any before it IMHO and you’ll get a lot of mileage out of sitting down with it in front of your Octatrack.

1 Like

What about the sound? I’ve not used and mpc (had an SP for while) but interested for the sound and timing. How do they compare against an Octa, which I think has slightly mushy smooth kind of sound. I often run it through an analogue filter to give it a boost.

I have an OT now and had an MPC before. I can’t tell no difference but also I am not an expert on the subtle differences between different dac chips and I don’t have no 10k monitoring system to detect them nor do I care much. But if a sample on the OT sounds the way you describe make sure you have time stretch turned off. It is on by default and it makes samples sound like you say.
Also for recording I usually bounce tracks and export them instead of using the Main Out.

1 Like

If you are intereseted in both octatrack and MPC, on the software side I recommed to check Fxpansion Geist 2.

Geist 2 combines the sequencng abilities of the octatrack + the sampling and playing immediacy capabilities of the MPC.
It also features outstanding FX engines.
It’s sequencer is not polyphonic, though you can quickly trigger multiples pads at the same time via PUSH and geist pad mode set in “64 tunings” mode (similar to 16 tunings mode in the MPC).
you can also use the brand new PUSH 64 pad mode to sequence the 64 pads of Geist within push!

Besides i’m pretty sure I saw Push user mappings for this software, but i don’t know how deep these mappings are.
For sure, defining a custom mapping for Geist using ableton or max for live would be diificult, but not as difficult as reading and understanding the octatrack manual :wink:

1 Like

As far as sound is concerned … you should try to listen to one. The models are different and the sound is different on an MPC 60 (12 bit @ 40 kHz) and an MPC 5000 (16bit @ 44.1 kHz) . There is a huge difference between 12 and 16 bit resolution … it’s 4096 vs 65536.

The timing of an MPC is not that tight that it fits as a midi master clock for any setup. It’s not bad but it’s not excellent also. There are better clocks around … from what I have heard, the OT would serve better as a master clock.

Ive owned different mpc models since 2002 (2000xl, 2500, 4k). Bought an octatrack a month ago. Getting past the learning curve by now and i love it! OT opened up a whole new approach to making music for me and all beats start in the OT at the moment.
But im keeping both machines. Main reasons for keeping my MPC - polyphony! and having all filters etc per pad. Unlimited tracks! Now i start my beats in the OT and when things grow too big, i move some to the MPC. Also i love sculpting kicks, snares and hihats in the MPC, the sound is by default fatter!

And midi overdub, linear cc recording !

3 Likes

I respectfully disagree. When I owned an MPC 4000, I considered its clocking and timing to be better than anything else I’ve ever tried. The legacy MPCs had great timing, post-nuKai MPC’s however have mediocre timing.

1 Like

I do agree! Never selling my 4k! :smiley:

Has anyone tried using mpc pads to trigger and record OT samples? Is that hard to setup?

Just set / use the right notes.

With Mpc1000/2500 JJOS2XL, you can even trigger slices. Also doable with any midi controller sending notes + a midi processor.

Harder. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, tge MPC is a muffuggun JOKE with the recording and automation is just a theoretical tease. The mpc Live is not at all made fir creation. What it does it actually does very poorly, with a truthfully narrow scope of option. I’m very depressed I fell fir the gimmicks it is.

2 Likes

why not just sell it then? AFAIK the live holds its value OK on the 2nd hand market

2 Likes

Octatrack and push is literally sooooo much already. I wouldnt add a thing except utility stuff

sorry but i respectfully disagree. You can say it’s not a friendly jam machine as the octatrack but for creation, in the right hands, it could be as powerful as the Ableron, Logic, FL or any other musc gear

4 Likes

My problem with mpc live
Is that it doesnt amaze me.
I just push my sounds in the sewuencer
Really relaxed, good for long patterns
But it doesn’t suck me in

Octatrack has always been frustrating
Bought and sold too many times
But might be the best solution