Moog mother or behr model d sound

To be honest the Mother sounds better ( to me ) than almost anything else out there, period. Patch at least 2 together & …wow… I mean, it sounds
better to me than my Voyager did. It sounds better than my Macbeth Micromac-D did.
It’s my fave Moog sound ever I think, with the possible exception of the Moog Source I had, but that was so long ago that it could be a trick of memory.

For the Beh - D, well I haven’t used one, but I will say the side by side demos I’ve heard next the Moog re-issue are very impressive.

But there’s still one problem - it’s not a Moog is it. That may not be a problem for you, but synths are more than just the sound, or build quality, or the features even…
& that’s why some people will always pay 4 times the price, & get a Moog. It’s a brand. And whilst the ‘D’ will fill a lovely gap in the market, I think hand on heart, if money wasn’t the issue,
most people would always take a Moog over a Behringer.

2 Likes

There’s also the form factor. The Model D packs the Minimoog sound in a really small box.

Fwiw, I had an SE-02 and my Boog D arrived. I did a little side by side and ended up selling the SE-02. It was a combination of scale (that thing is miniature) as well as usability. That being said, the SE-02 sounded phenomenal and it also has some nice touches like patch recall and a built in sequencer but neither of those did much for me. The SE-02 can be seen as an evolution of the original whereas the Boog is a direct clone. Neither is a wrong choice, I just went with the Clone.

1 Like

I got both, and I agree with an earlier post, they are totally different.To me the Model D has an own sound. Built quality really good. Nothing flimsy about anything. Highly recommended ! (I got the Voyager as well)

best// T

OK I’m going to say something here but first off if you all haven’t noticed, when it comes down to it I put everyone as equal and don’t think anyone or anyone’s opinion is worth more than anyone else’s… I am not a synth snob, I’m always supporting making music with anything you can get your hands on, and always trying to tame down any sort of “I know more” or “I’m da shit because I use x gear” and any of that… Further more I’m completely financially irresponsible and don’t even know what “disposable income” means. This last summer I would live on just rice for more than a week sometimes… If there are any doubts about this just look back at the hundred times I’ve said such things in my post history…

OK, now that we got that out of the way…
Does anyone else feel like Mom and Pop got a nice wholesome family business that they worked super hard to make and are extremely devoted to the products they designed, and then a big kind of “Wal Mart” company comes in on the other side of town that has the big cooperate umph to create the products cheaper than Mom an Pop could ever imagine, copies Mom and Pops exact design, and sells grips on the other side of town taking tons of Mom and Pops business that they worked so hard for, even selling an exact copy of their product… ?

I have very mixed feelings about all this. A lot of people on the forum are absolutely convinced that all music companies care nothing about your music and are just in in for the money. I don’t think that’s true. Whomever started a synth company had more than money on their mind or they would be a fool to not just start something more lucrative… I think there’s actually people at moog that want your music to be better. I don’t know about Behringer, but to me it seems they are the ones that want your money, and using their corporate umph and shaving off of ol Mom an Pop… Does moog care? Did they ask Moog if it was alright? That might seem silly but what if this happened to you and tomorrow a big cooperation is offering whatever your product or job is at a fraction of the cost, and literally used whatever your thing is and copied it exactly? If it was just fine and not shady thing to do then why not ask Moog? Reminder that if you read about Moog they traditionally don’t make that much money at all, and now they are a cooperatively owned situation, very Mom and Pop…

Maybe I’m completely wrong, I’m just thinking about this out loud… I think there’s more to it…
Don’t get pissed at me, if people are rocking Behringer D’s and having fun, good on em, I have no doubt in my mind they can’t make top notch music with it and I don’t want them to feel because of what I just said they shouldn’t like it or something. I am quite sure people can make better music on Behringers than Moogs or vice versa, it’s not the synth that will be the determining factor… I’m pretty f***ing neutral when it comes down to it…

Anyone else have these thoughts? Just me?

P.S. My opinions are not etched in stone either, they can change with each reply…
And a reminder I sometimes live off of rice and cabbage for a week or two…

6 Likes

very interesting thoughts here, thanks. Not sure that I agree fully with this, especially with the presumptions about the creators of Behringer D, but it does not matter. What I deeply agree with is the ethos of supporting the products made by real ppl who care about the world the way we do. I can name about only few companies from the top of my head and Moog is on the top of that list. I’m not huge fan of eurorack but most of that universe is organised exactly like this and this is very appealing to me. Also some resellers deserve kudos for building the community. If we want to spend money in synths, I think these people deserve to get our hard earned cash more than anybody else in this industry…

btw rice and especially veggies are also main part of my diet but maybe for a different reason :wink:

1 Like

I’ve mentioned it elsewhere but I’ll say it here as well. I love the Moog sound, it’s my number one preference for what a synth should sound like. But I have been known to buy a piece or two from Moog, just as much because I love and respect what the company represents.

We live in a world where some of the most powerful and influential leaders of our time can openly lie and abuse their way through the day and get away with it. Whenever someone else shows up and displays real honesty and integrity, it’s our damn obligation as global citizens to support them and show that in the long run, they’re the ones who got it right. As far as developers of electronic music gear goes, Moog is someone else. And if we can, it’s our duty to support them in any way we can.

7 Likes

I’m only judging on youtube videos, but everytime I’m hearing the mother, I think it’s the most lovely synth sound I can imagine. Don’t know there is something special about it. So brassy, warm, wooly.
Seriously thinking about replacing the 0-coast with it. Went for the 0-coast because of features, would go for the mother purely because of sound. Obviously I should pair them… 0 coast sounds also great in a completely different way.

The behringer is a steal for the money if you want the minimoog sound. Sounds very good.
There seems to be something about the mother in pure oscillator/filter sound I prefer over the other moog sounds, even the sub37.
But yeah, can only compare based on videos. Model d has 3 oscillators obviously so it can sound completely different to the mother.

1 Like

I agree. I had a Sub37 for years. Loved the sound. But the Mother is the dream’s analogue cream.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback…
Ya know, I tried pretty hard to not come off as a Behringer slammer on that reply but maybe I still did a little. To clarify even further, I don’t know what the Behringer people are like, I haven’t seen or read much about them at all, I have read and seen lots about Moog and I have a friend Taylor that works there at tech support.

Whatever I wrote about them is not what I’m declaring I think they are, but rather a feeling I get and really I don’t not know that much about them, it’s just a vibe I catch from the situation. Often opinions stated on gear forums are absolute, and they lead to clashes of people bickering over “who’s right”. It doesn’t always have to be that way. If I don’t know much about something but maybe have a hunch or idea of the vibe, I can say what my initial feelings or vibe that hits me is, but that does not mean that I’m saying that’s “how it is”, but rather “these are my first impressions of the matter”. Opinions don’t have to be set and forget, they can change with each new bit of information learned… But anyway the truth is I don’t know much about Berhinger, whatever I said is the feeling I get from the situation but not me stating how they are, they might be saints for all I know, but whatever I said is the initial kind of vibe I catch, could be right, could be wrong… Usually the answers lie in between…

P.S. I’m vegan… :rofl:

3 Likes

I dont think you did, at least not too much. I was emphasising my own uncertainty with the whole Behringer D topic which is quite the similar what you are describing. This way or other, it would be great to see Moog getting new business from what big B is doing. For the record, I have not heard the new D but the Mother sounds awesome. Greetings from vegetarian from this end of the conversation.

1 Like

I’ve found talking on the Internet to be very strange. People always seem to take things from replies that you didn’t intend. I speak on here much differently than I would in person, and very carefully think of the ways my statements might be interpreted wrong, and try to make them in a way that avoids misconceptions… It’s a bit silly though because I’ll include all these little disclaimers… Haha

OK, OK, Mother 32…
Sorry about my tangents, but somehow it was related, for some reason I’m prone to say tangential things and if I do it’s because I feel there’s something there worth speaking of…

1 Like

I think most people agree but at the same time most people can’t afford to be too moral about it. taking that approach to it just means that these sort of instruments are simply unattainable. Anyone who wants a real model D is gonna buy one anyway, and anyone who would buy a model D if it was $300 will buy the boog D. Moog still remains the respected original and the history maker. That’s why they can stay afloat.

It’s a shame and it’s a sad state of affairs but it’s just late stage capitalism. Monopolies are pretty much impossible to avoid, whoever’s on top with the most money/power will always have a pretty significant advantage and will seize the rest of the market. There will never be enough people taking the moral approach to stop that because 9 out of 10 will say fuck it and choose the cheap immoral option. Not to seem like a negative nancy but if you put your faith in the morality of other humans you will surely be disappointed.

The positive side of thing is that from the sound of it it’s not coming from a chinese sweatshop but that’s probably bullshit too. Anyone with internet access can say they’re an electrical engineer who’s visited their factory. Uli behringer himself could be sat on reddit singing the praises of the working standards in factories producing Ds while whipping an orphan child with the other hand. I just choose to see things in a positive light though and assume that’s not the case, cause at the end of the day like it or not we simply have no control over it whatsoever. They don’t care if the moral minority buy or don’t buy because people will buy

1 Like

I live my life as an illogical experiment. To me having the thought that you can’t trust the morality of other humans, actually creates that situation for itself. I believe our thoughts help shape our reality and so I choose to rather illogically believe in the morality of humans, and therefore am energetically supporting that to be so… This goes very deep and I don’t expect people to fully understand straight away, I’m not a fool and there’s ways to navigate this reality and all the messed up stuff it entails while still maintaining a positive outlook. If other people think this is silly that is completely more than OK with me, I am fully comfortable living my life as an illogical experiment… :rofl:

1 Like

Moog Mother ($599) sounds like Moog Mother ($599). Behringer Model D ($299) sounds like Moog Model D reissue ($3499). To me, the choice is clear.

3 Likes

I get what you mean. By supporting that way of thinking youre definitely being part of the solution.

Ended up being a longer and more unrelated post than anticipated

For me it’s too frustrating to be that way. For example I tried being vegetarian for a while, lasted months until I came to the conclusion it’s an exercise in futility because you’d have to flip the world on its head to actually start to solve the problem. Even more so because so may people think exactly the same way, it makes a huge effort on my part feel very worthless. I truly hate what meat is and I hate that something lived a shit life and died for me to eat a sandwich, and I’m aware how much of a dick it makes me to make the conscious choice to eat it anyway because it makes me happy. I just feel there’s no point torturing myself over it because whether I do it or not I can’t escape the conclusion that it doesn’t make a blind by of difference what I do. Same applies for mom n’ pop shop VS huge companies. My clothes were probably made in sweatshops and my house is probably full of seemingly innocuous objects with shady origins. I, like most people just simply don’t have the means to find out. More power to you if you can truly just live positively and feel it makes a difference. For me though I just try to make the moral choice when I feel it matters. Not sure if that makes me a bad person or not. You’re definitely right, and if everyone thought like you do then the issues wouldn’t exist. It seems that not nearly enough people think that way to make a difference though

1 Like

Actually, the current Moog Music (formerly Big Briar) doesn’t have anything to do with the original R.A.Moog company that made the original minimoog. So in a sense, the reissue Moog Music is selling is a clone just like the Behringer one is.

Not so sure about that… Big Briar had Moogs name for awhile and Bob fought to got it back… I’m pretty sure there’s still a few people at moog that worked closely with Bob and I would imagine care deeply about the legacy… Having “nothing to do” with the current company seems like quite a stretch to me…

The new model D isn’t a copy, they opened the production lines again and make it as close to the original way as possible. There’s more specific quotes out there but I don’t want to hunt them down, the following are semi related but if you look up the production techniques used in Moog reissues, you’ll find that they are actual next production runs and not copies…

There’s tons of information about all of this available including stuff about their new management being close to Bob… If you don’t like listening to me just google this stuff and you’ll get loads of facts…

https://www.moogmusic.com/legacy

1 Like

Well, I just checked to make sure and yes, Cyril Lance is still chief engineer at Moog. He worked very closely with Bob and in fact they tripped out because they would envision the same circuits in their heads. This is how Bob knew he was the one…

Him and Bob are in that video I posted. The current Moog is very connected with its history, at least their chief engineer sure is…

Basically Bob designed everything and was pretty much the heart of the operation no matter what corporation currently had rights to his name or his design. He past the torch to people he loved, even his wife is good friends with them… This stuff is all pretty thoroughly documented on the Internet…

3 Likes

Maybe…
But watch some of the shootouts between the Boog/Moog D

Proof is in the pudding?