Moog Mother 32 "Extended Synth Capabilities"

As someone that knows nothing about modulars I have a question regarding the use of 2 (or more) Moog Mother 32s.

Moog mention that you can extend the synthesis capabilities when patching additional Mother 32s. I get how that works with different modules, but if 2 Mother 32s have the same spec/patching options how does patching from one to the other differ from using the same routings on just one Mother 32?

Cheers!

In theory you double the number of modulations, or even more than that as you might cross them and get a sum resultā€¦
Plus you can modulate a LFO by the other LFO, the result of which you cannot achieve on self.

But I donā€™t know the M32, donā€™t want to put a finger in any modular related stuff :tongue:

I donā€™t have an M32, but Iā€™m guessing there are many benefits from having 2.
I guess one of the big ones would be FM (i.eā€¦ patch the VCO from one unit into the linear fm of the other).
Or filter FM.
Or you could experiment from different routing possibilities like running the filters serially.
Or modulate one LFO with the other to create a complex LFO.
etc.

Sure there are many other things that could be done.

Ok, but hereā€™s what my non modular/pea brain doesnā€™t get.

If all the patch points are duplicates i donā€™t get how patching from 1 unit to another makes any difference.

If i was trying to modulate the filter with an lfo on 1 unit, why would using the lfo from the first unit have any different affect on the second unit?

Maybe it wouldnā€™t. Is that too basic a patch?

I feel brain damaged somehow. Not able to understand a basic concept.

Itā€™s just having two of everything, so you have two VCOs to play with rather than 1, 2 VCFs, 2 LFOs, etc. They arenā€™t necessarily all doing the same thing.

2 Likes

You should do a search on frequency modulation. The octatrack could give an idea of what an lfo can do to a second lfo. I donā€™t know if MM and MD have the same modulation possibilities. A4 probably has since itā€™s a synth and received a FM update.

Ok so you have lotā€™s of possibilities because lfos can reach audio range. So you could have pseudo polyphony just from two M32. Actually two ofthem is a pretty smart move since afaik people buy one M32 an then add an oscillator and/or modulation modules after that. So for not much than single modules (eurorack is expensive af with oscillators/complex function generators costing more than 200/300ā‚¬ for ONE module) you get a full voice+sequencer.

Also your second voice could serve exclusively as a modulation source: oscillator becomes a lfo, envelope becomes a kind of lfo (donā€™t know if M32 adsrs can loop?), sequencer can modulate other things than pitch.

You need a lot of modulations for slow droning stuff. And you need a lot of looping modulations for repetitive music such as techno. If you do melodic stuff like Berlin school (yuck lol) you can have 4 oscillators and 2 sequences. If sample and hold can be simulated you could technically have a 4 voices melody which is very cool for the price and size.

Ok peeps, thanks for the info.

Just received my 2nd Mother 32, so iā€™ll see what goes down.

Cheers!
A.

^this
The M32 is extremely good value, given you are getting a VCO, VCF, VCA, EG, LFO, sequencer and a powered case.
The only downside about having multiple units is the slightly limited patch points (eg. no voltage control over EG parameters), and the fact that youā€™ll only have one flavour of everything.
But seeing as the flavour is Moog, it will probably take more than 2xM32 before you OD.

Read up a bit on stuff, but experiment too. Just make sure you are patching outs to ins, but otherwise, go mad on patching anything to anything, tweak a few parameters and see what comes out.

Hello to all, hope somebody can help me

I have 2 mother 32s and would like what is the best way to use one of the 2 mothers as a second oscillator for the other one.

What is the best set up for this:

M32 # 2 VCA Out --> M32 # 1 Ext Autio
M32 # 1 KB Out --> M32 # 2 VCO 1V/OCT
M32 #1 Gate Out --> M32 2 Gate In

or instead of the main VCA Out use the VCO Saw or VCA Pulse Outs

When the Mix knob is hard panned to the left (M32 #1) does not sound exactly the same when the know is hard panned to the left (M32 #2)

Al settings are exactly the same on both mothers, what I want to hear is exactly the same sound when panned left or right.

Can you please advice.

Thank you very much
AdriƔn

1 Like

VCA out of 2nd mother into the Ext. input on the 1st should do the trick. Individual waveforms are patchable before they go through filter.

Are you sure youā€™ve got the same knob/ transposed key settings on both units?

1 Like

Thanks VanillaSun for taking the time to answer

I think I got it, what I wanted was using the individual out, before being affected by filter, evencelope, lfos and vca.

Thanks again

2 Likes

Iā€™m curious,
Has anyone used a pitch shift pedal to shift the OSC output to another note, and then send that pedalā€™s output back into the M32ā€™s EXT IN for 2 note work?

I reckon that, using a Zoom MS series pedal (which allows FX chaining), you could use a pair of pitch shifters and some clever dry/wet settings on the last pitch shifter before the output to turn that 1 OSC pitch into 2 pitches (in the pedal), thus giving 3 pitch notes. Granted, only the root OSC will be fully analog, but using the EXT IN means it will all go through that Moog VCF and VCA.

2 Likes

here is a track using a single mother 32 for all sounds and sequencing thereof.
tracked into ableton, with little or no post-processing.
To perform the song live, I would require 4 mothers, possibly 5, if i wanted full tweakability.

Yesterday I was experimenting with how far i can get a 4/4 beat or a halftime dub beat going with only one mother, using KB out patched into multiplier, multi 1 and 2 out patched into cutoff and res (ā€˜BDā€™ is around C2, SN C4, and HH B8), might post results later.

1 Like

I borrowed my friendā€™s M32 and Zoom MS70cdr to confirm that this does work.
The pitch shifted waveform is a bit artifact-ey on the attack, though. And the output level is a little lower than Iā€™d like, but it is absolutely workable.

Chaining two pitch shifters (bass pitch shifters for lower register) gets VERY grainy, so Iā€™ve been using the LFO as a sub OSC instead

• (If using M32 sequencerā€¦ patch KB out to LFO rate in, LFO square out to Mix 1 in, Zoomā€™s out to Mix 2 in, VC Mix out to EXT Audio in).
  • (if using A4 CV, patch Pitch CV from A4 into Mult, then Mult 1 out to VCO 1v/OCT in, and Mult 2 out to LFO rate in, everything after that patch the same)

Iā€™ll attempt to make a video on it sometime.

I reckon an AD ā€œgrainshiftā€ module would be more forgiving, but at that point you may as well just get another true OSC module instead. Iā€™m wondering which cheap, non-Eventide pitch shift or harmonizer pedals might be able to do the pitch shift more smoothly.

3 Likes

AdamJay23h
Iā€™m curious,
Has anyone used a pitch shift pedal to shift the OSC output to another note, and then send that pedalā€™s output back into the M32ā€™s EXT IN for 2 note work?

Cool idea, been thinking about this for a long time too and Iā€™m currently bidding on a reasonably priced, used MF 107. That gives me a 2nd OSC that I can patch back into EXT IN and a number of other possibilities.

hereā€™s that video:

sequencing ā€˜drumsā€™ on a single mother.

2 Likes

Should work. Do you plan to use an attenuator for tuning or just dedicate one of A4ā€™s CVs as a second calibrated pitch source?

The more I read about the tuning / pitch tracking challenges of separate oscillators, the more I can see the advantage of a 2nd M32, instead.

1 Like

When you have 4 Moog Mother 32ā€™s you unlock the special bonus features.
You only need to buy two more :wink:

1 Like

Yes, if that MF107 werenā€™t so conveniently cheap, a 2nd M32 would be a much cleaner and versatile solution.

But since iā€™m not after precise tracking at the moment, I will experiment until I get something fun going. (Audio in + hard sync should be ok for starters, even though thatā€™s more limited than controlling the MF 107s FREQ IN with attenuated CVā€¦)

I donā€™t plan on getting an A4 at the moment, although P-lockable CV sequencing is tempting indeed.

Itā€™s a lot of fun, the two together.

Aside from the obvious, CV to Filter Frequency, p-locks, I like dedicating one of A4ā€™s CVs to send a CV envelope generator to M32ā€™s VCA.

This does many great things.
First, with the M32 VCA mode switch set to "ON, it allows you to dedicate M32ā€™s onboard EG as a filter (or pitch) envelope only.
And then on the A4, it allows you to p-lock attack, decay, sustain, release, and envelope amount which is a bit like a volume control for more dynamics.
5 parameters on just one CV.

1 Like