Modules for controlling modular with OT

Hello!
I am planning my Eurorack sytstem. Nothing super fancy, something portable for live, mainly just for glitchy percussion noises and arpeggiated basslines with some abilities to twist the sound, when my hands are free from playing guitar. I have question about sequencer. I am using OT as my mine seq, so instead of spending money and space on rack for separate module, I could also use OT to trigger modular, right?
What are your thoughts about OT as a seq for modular? Any limitations I should be aware of? What kind of MIDI to CV modules would you recommend? Anything additional for wider range of controlling options?

What I especially like about some modular sequencers is the ability to use separate trig outputs to control various parameters of modules - pitch, EG params, delay times, etc, so this is something I would also like to achieve with OT.

For now I am thinking to grab a Doepfer A-190-2. It looks like it could do a job and it is not pricey. Anyone using it with OT?

1 Like

Have you considered buying the analog 4 instead?

Covers your CV needs. Can be sequenced via the OT. Has the Arp. Does the glitched out pervs and so much more. Doesnā€™t lead you into a bottomless pitā€¦ :wink:

I use the Endorphin Shuttle Control, and it works awesome.

3 Likes

I use the Expert Sleepers FH-1 and FHX-1, which is a USB host and converts midi to CV in a bunch of creative ways. That said - you need a DIN to USB some-sort-of-converter as well. I use the iConnectMidi4+ but there are smaller ones.

I think this gives me way more flexibility than the four CV outputs from the A4/AK. I use the Octatrack or Digitakt rather than the A4 when it comes to controlling the modular.

First part of this is FH-1 with Digitakt and modular:

Second part of this is also FH-1 with Digitakt and modular:

FH-1 used here (with Squarp Pyramid rather than Octatrack):

5 Likes

Iā€™m using a CV.OCD with my OT. Itā€™s stand alone so it doesnā€™t take up precious HP., inexpensive, versatile and has lots of outputs.

3 Likes

Mutable Instruments Yarns (until Squarp Hermod lands) lots of added extras and configurations.

https://mutable-instruments.net/modules/yarns/

1 Like

FH-1 all the way, super configurable and expandable. Os is always keeping things updated also.

2 Likes

I use Shuttle Control - converts midi cc to non-stepped voltages for use in modular, and great customer service

1 Like

thatā€™s interesting. I always thought thatā€™s the drawback for using the OT and bought an ES8 to use the computer instead. Thinking about all the Lfoā€™s the OT offers, I might consider swapping it for the Shuttle control to be laptop freeā€¦

Besides being smaller and cheaper, does the FH1 offer other advantages to the Shuttle Control?
I read that you can use the shuttle also to power a small system, which is very nice.

The FH-1 also has smoothing of midiā€™s 128 steps/values - if you want. There are som modes for internal LFOs and step sequencing. If you have a midi controller/keyboard with USB, it can be powered from the FH-1.

Donā€™t know much about the Shuttle Control, though. But I do know Endorphin.es makes excellent stuff.

1 Like

If you or someone else can build it, Magpie Modular Dubldeca is a MIDI to CV module designed specifically for interfacing an Octatrack with a Eurorack system.

2 Likes

You can do stuff like thisā€¦ or have them all OT controlled as pitch/gate/trig/cv

1 Like

I am using a Vermona qMi with Octatrack and it works really well, very easy to understand and program but maybe to much hp for your actual system? :grin:

1 Like

Yea I did so much research on Midi>CV modules and the non stepped cc was a big factor in deciding on the SC :slight_smile:

Yeah I loved the simplicity of the Vermona, unfortunately it was a victim of hp requirements!
Felt like a cosmonaut flicking the switches, Iā€™d buy one again if I had space (and wasnā€™t such a slut for MI!).

I was looking for a qMi2 first but I had a really good deal for the v1 so I ended to buy this one and very happy for what it provides me.

1 Like

I love the ā€˜chunkā€™ of Vermona!

In french, ā€œcabinetsā€ means toilets too ! :smile:
I canā€™t make music there.

4 Likes

Where is your meme? :smile:

2 Likes