Modular? Monomachine? Something else?

I may be wrong, but I believe the MS20 is different voltages than the 0Coast and they won’t communicate well. With that said, I love my 0Coast and think it’s one of the coolest little symths out there. Also, I’m selling a pretty much mint Monomachine of you’re interested.

Hell, I mean, that’s an amazing point, if I really really want to have total control over everything I could just get into Max, which is a goal of mine eventually here (still using a very old laptop which, I suppose, could just run older versions on?).

The digitone can definitely have some really crazy stuff pulled out of it, and I still haven’t used the OT’s lfo’s or other MIDI send to control the digitone yet. Really amazing and powerful machine.

It’s nice to see some other options, such as exploring the nords. I knew they used them quite a bit but I was thinking that was mostly around Oversteps and did not realize what else they were capable of. Also nice to see other synths instead of thinking, “oh I’m just missing this one thing”, which is obviously bologna.

I really like the spirit of this discussion, thank you everyone for contributing so constructively, it’s a pleasure to read :slight_smile:

Here is my humble contribution to exploring pure Monomachine weirdness.

I have gone a little bit modular (104hp with mostly Mutable Instruments modules) but had had 0-Coast 18 months before diving. This synth still adds a lot to the rig, even when I use it for its parts. I recommend it before fully diving into modular, it teaches a lot as can somehow act as a substitute…

Having a few modules had a good influence on my comprehension of synthesis. Even thought me about the gear I already had.
But it’s an incredibly expensive road.

Anyway, for glitches and morphing, MM and OT are the machines I would use, MD being pretty capable in such domain as well.

My advice: treat yourself with an OT mk2 or MM mk2 UW+, possibly with good effects (Eventide Space, Strymon Deco, Red Panda Particle v2) and don’t spend anything else than time anymore :tongue:

9 Likes

This is so important. Obvious by the sheer amount of material they release (and don’t), the AE lads put in work.

4 Likes

What you get with a modular is not more possibilities but a different workflow, which translate to different ways to get inspired.

3 Likes

As stated here, there are many tools and ways to get into Ae vibes.
Eurorack would be the most expensive way. I guess it’s easier now than it used to be, cause there are many complex multi function modules available now. There are also single modules, were you can get a full drum kit out e.g. Noise Engineering Basimilus Interitas, Intellijel Plonk or MI Plaits. But still very expensive.

Almost every elektron is capable of this stuff. MD and MnM obviously, but the other boxes as well. The trig conditions on the later machines are very helpful. Some good elektron examples.

Software modulars, not only Max Msp but Reaktor, also Vcv Rack would be great tools. In reaktor you can use the countless ensembles or blocks already built by NI or the many users. There are ensembles that are really perfect for that style, like Twisted tools stuff, Blinksonic and many more.
I guess Max might be the most powerful solution - but at least for me - the most time consuming one. If you have no experience it is quite hard to reach a level, where the fun really begins. If you want to put that time into it, and like using the computer, go for it.
As mentioned several times, there are the nord modulars, with Nord sound being a trademark sound of “Lp5” era autechre. They used the nordrack mainly for drums, I think a nord drum 2 might be the better solution for that kind of drum sounds these days. Elektron midi sequencer + Nord drum 2 is extremely cool. I made a little video for this combination, maybe it serves as a demo in this context…

Or this thread and video by @pselodux with a nord modular. He really nails the vibes.

And not to forget. You can do all that stuff in conventional DAWs too. I read they made Draft and Untilted mainly in Logic. Ableton is extremely suited for that stuff with its Max for live integration. Max Lfo’s get you a long way and there are new probability sequencers available. With operator for fm and the new wavetable synth you have all the digital goodness available. Also Tension and Collider for physical modeling, which is very present on Oversteps and Exai.
Another option to mention would be an Ipad. There are many many apps that are perfect for experimental things. Complex and fun sequencers, great granular synths. Elastic Drums e.g. is a great app to get these vibes going. One example.

7 Likes

Looking into Nord Modular and it seems pretty nuts. I’ll have to do some digging into the manual to see what all the specs and limitations are. Don’t love the idea of editing patches on the computer but it really isn’t that big of a deal. Looks like there is so much you can open up with it.

yea thats what modular is to me too: a different approach.
Different input method etc leads to different results. it’s nice to have a few approaches in your arsenal.

downsides:
cost.
tuning oscs :]

2 Likes

+1 on iPad.

Borderlands alone is a morphing wonderland.

1 Like

Is that your track? Damn. Loved it! :slight_smile:

If you already haven’t,i suggest to try out „VCV Rack“. It’s a free software that emulates modular perfectly and has countless of free modules. Find out if it is something for you, ask yourself what exactly do you want to do with it.
I don’t own a Monomachine, but i think the only thing that can recreate the beauty of modular synthesis is software like Reaktor, VCV, Softube modular… IMHO my modular is like the ultimate custom dream (mono) synthesizer, that can do more then all my other gear together, but it’s never finished, which is a good and a bad thing. If you go Eurorack, you will eventually spend much more money as you might expect now. There are just to many interesting Eurorack exclusive modules.
You will definitely be able to create morphing sounds, or even complete sets (check out Colin bender :wink: ). If you like the elektron sequencer, maybe get a Analog four, to get the both of two worlds.
I have the OTMk2+A4mk1+Eurorack and i think it’s a perfect, ver inspiring setup, which i use on daily base, for hours :slight_smile:
You can save money by doing a lot of module research, doepfer stuff sounds and feels awesome and is still not too expensive. Mutable Instruments modules like „Plaits“ have 16 synthesis types for 240€.

Nope. I wish it was :wink:
It was the reason i got into elektron.
God knows why i never bought the MnM :slight_smile:

1 Like

this. if you want to sound like autechre you need to learn to build sound generating processes at an abstract level. eurorack is far too expensive to learn to think in terms of systems. even free languages like Processing might be a good start

2 Likes

i would also echo what other people have said, like take an external synth and build your sound making system entirely outside of it, not worth getting bogged down in the oscillators and filters of max, which need (maybe not with max 8, having only used max 6)

Afaik the only size rack I know of that can reach Max level is something like Richard Devines and I don’t even bother considering how much it must have all cost.

And i mean all power to him but I personally am just not going to do that.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Max/MSP 8 released by Cycling '74

The UI IMHO sucks big time. Loads of Key Combos you must remember and sampling is much more complicated than it is on Digitakt.

No. It doesn’t suck and it is underrated.
TRUTH :joy:

1 Like

Monomachine is an infinite well of inspiration and amazing sounds, especially if you’re into glitchy/noisey stuff. Never a bad choice.

Eurorack is fun, but very expensive, especially if you are interested in using it more as a music composing/generating environment rather than just as a complex mono synth type thing. You always wind up feeling like your idea could have been better with just a few more modules, but that few more just leads to another few more. If I were to start over, a hybrid approach seems way better. Use Max, Reaktor or VCV to generate your sequences and CVs with a cv converter, and have a smaller, more focused sound generating or processing setup in hardware.

These days I’m way more interested in Reaktor than I am in my eurorack. The only limit to my ideas is the CPU. And the ability to save and iterate patches takes it closer to a real composition environment than I was ever able to achieve in euroland. IMO it’s a tad more approachable than Max. It’s the ultimate audio Swiss Army knife, if you are willing to put in the time to learn it and to realize your ideas. Don’t want to overload the thread with tracks, but Reaktor can generate this in realtime with no edits or post processing outside of minimal limiting/eq. In fact everything on the page is from the same patch

7 Likes

Where do you start with reaktor? I always found max easier to navigate but these tracks sound great. Right up my street.

1 Like