Max/MSP 8 by Cycling '74

Yeah, I’m surprised how great the Mojave beta’s running

Awhile back they made it so you don’t need the OS in your purchases to download, I remember when it was like that though for sure…

I got the link from this page:

On bullet point 4 you’ll see the link, it will only actually open on a Mac because it points to the MacOS App Store…

You can also get Sierra by just googling download Sierra and finding a similar support page, but I’m not sure about Yosemite or anything before…

I did notice it says to be able to download the el cap installer you need to be on High Sierra or earlier, so there’s that… These are the full installers and I believe if your downgrading you have to format your drive first and prepare a bootable usb drive with the installer, there’s info available from googling how to do this, not sure though have never done it…

2 Likes

without wishing to take this too far off-topic - I am theoretically able to load Mojave so unable to do this el-capitan exception which I was aware apple did for machines which get dropped - if Mojave gets more good anecdotal feedback then I may have to investigate this - but I won’t be installing high sierra just on the off chance it may be better even though it’s matured - this stuff is a buzzkill

That ‘zippiness’ is what Karl was saying in a message when I asked how he was feeling about it earlier today. I looked into those requirements and I guess I need to look into all my OS and processor whatnot. Sometime around when they became animals and now whatever it is, I just stopped keeping up until I had to, so I have no clue where I am at this point with my OS ha.

C

1 Like

Right we should get back on topic, but maybe this will help someone else trying to run Max and deciding which OS to run.
Anyway, I do think you can load el cap from that installer even if you can run Mohave, I don’t think there are restrictions… They even mention “downgrading” in the link…

2 Likes

… well, I’m afraid even your optimism can’t trump this popup … ! :loopy:

1 Like

Sorry brother. Perhaps I create a network access for my laptop so you can play Ableton 10 and Max 8 remotely through my laptop. :smiley:

1 Like

yep that looks familiar. I think there’s App Store region lockouts to ^^&% with you as well.

This is why I have keep copies of the installers for pretty much every OSX since Leopard. El Cap is running OK on my 2010 MBP - actually it’s pretty good on my 2009 Core2duo Mac as well.

2 Likes

Yeah, I just checked and I’m not on El Cap either so I guess I have to find an installer before I can move forward :confused:

Nice – i like the way Sam screws up and then debugs in his head on the fly in this – like needing to convert midi note numbers to note names. So now i have (less vague) ideas of how to use Node for Max. Thanks for that. I’ll check this guy’s YT channel some more.

(Is it safe to come back here now, is the Apple Mac OS stuff over?)

2 Likes

This filled in a few pieces on Node for Max for me:

2 Likes

I’m just now trying to follow the Max 8 tutorials for M4L- and it appears that the MC command doesn’t work?

I’m just taking shots in the dark, so, if anyone can set me straight- that would trump my suspicion that ability is not included in M4L

Thanks!

I’m checking a few of the supposed new features of Max 8, and none of them appear available for M4L

(though, given my limited understanding of Max, I hardly seem justified to fuss over it)

:smiley:

Perhaps, I should start figuring it out so i can either strike while the iron’s hot when those features carry over

Or

Learn it and finally have a reason to crossgrade, and THEN I’ll be the kind of guy that has(and uses) Standalone Max/MSP/Jitter, and I’ll finally be able to pat myself on the back every morning for being such a cool and smart person.

Thanks for the info!

I’ve been fluctuating between yay and nay on my understanding of that.

But, I can’t stress this enough, though my wiser mind is like “Don’t pay for stuff until you hit a wall”, and with my current ignorance, I’m in the middle of a vastly open desert. Meanwhile, in my wild heart, I know Max is awesome and full of capabilities and I desire to be a man that is a Max Pro- and in nonsensical human logic- spending money is a signal of devotion- sometimes in lieu of effort.

PS:

I’m pretty excited about the Node for Max, though. I love that my future studies can run parallel with Max :heart:

Brilliant! Thanks for your insight!

I’m interested in learning the MAX/MSP modular environment. Is there any good places to learn?

1 Like

I don’t know what you mean by ‘place’, but since you’re online already, start with the Cycling '74 website.

You can download a 30-day demo. The documentation is extensive, and their examples are working patches that you can copy and play with. Trust me, that’s pretty cool.

There are several people/institutions sharing free lessons on YouTube. And if you prefer to learn in a formal educational environment, the Cycling '74 website provides links to those too.

5 Likes

Dear fellow cool people. A new Max 8.2 beta was released on September 9th which replaces the beta from August.

So far, so good, on my early 2015 MacBook Air running macOS Big Sur 11.5.2

3 Likes
2 Likes

Hello,everyone!I’m here just promoting my youtube channel.I’m a ambient sound designer using Max/MSP and use ableton for some music production.If you are interested in sound design,especially in ambient,you can check out my youtube channel!I will give you a lot of sound design ideas and tricks with Max/MSP!Thanks!!!
My Youtube channel
add movement to your ambient track in Max/MSP

7 Likes