Modor NF-1

I love my Modor NF-1 :heart:

5 Likes

Just ordered one! Can’t wait for it to arrive, seems like a very unique synth! :blush:

Reviving this thread… I always forget about this synth. how did you like it?

Sound Design Dream!

1 Like

Not so many users here? Why?

Played it in a store today, the UI is killer. Best and most transparent interface I’ve seen since MiniMoog or MS-20, all sections are on their places, all super accessible.

However it sounds very “alternative”, a few truly beautiful sounds I’ve found, like sweet spots. Somehow few sounds really amazed me, like “I never heard that before”! Filter! Tons of options for experiments and “noise” and “industrial”. It isn’t a warm sounding synth of course…

1 Like

Thanks! I love it so much. Such a UNIQUE synth, with its own character :heart_eyes:

1 Like

…another belgium storm trooper…in this case a great one…
and as all modor stuff…super solid hardware with fancy details…

i had the small desktopversion of it…and sold it…since yes, indeed, it’s ui was a killer…
since it had to squeeze all options of the big version into the small one, too…which was a killer literally…

but if ur into ambient, sounddesign and psytrance almost a must have…
the best vowel filters i’ve ever heard…

how went the drumcomputer version testing for ur punchy whishes…?
by far no must have at all, right?
if that one would have those vowel filtering implemented, it could have made it a gamechanger in digital percussive sounds…
poor thing, that these smallbatches one man companies can only sell their stuff for boutique as boutique can pricetags…

1 Like

Well yeah! Not “must have”, but at the same time the idea to test them wasn’t good for improving my sleep schedule - spend all the night after with reading manuals, surfing all info… Honestly liked them both, synthi and drumma, A LOT.

But totally get your statement “they have no soul” - both sounds good indeed, but kinda super cold and “tactical”, “fatal”, and “suicide” and “hands up, get on your knees!” type of thing… how troopers can be different? And the whole sound experience from both is a bit hard to call “in love”, impressive - yes, but…

Vowel Filter and 3 oscs, and other features are super nice… it’s like having your favorite softsynth in front of you with proper control… Honestly, maybe synth is even more appealing than DR2… Was a big mistake for me to try it as well : )

At the same time, Waldorf M was sitting close to them and was telling me - “fkk those evil things - take me with you! I’m a lovely german machine, and will work hard to supply u with most beautiful sounding things till the day we die”. Analog filters still make sense - more warm, pleasant, etc…

So it’s a a good food for thoughts… I also asked for another 2 hour test session next week with both machines in their “monitor” / “listening room”. Actually store owner is so supper nice, they even offered me 1 week test drive for both machines… I denied at this point since then I’m sure I won’t give them back : )

And despite the sound, yes the build and interface on their bigger machines is insanely good! Was “at home” after 5 mins…

So yeah…

But again I’m not in rush to sell my 808 or Juno to get them… don’t know… will investigate further…

1 Like

Pricing - yeah… Would be MUCH easier to make decision on both if they are like 30% cheaper… But at the same time like that they are a bit “hard to obtain”. Never liked easy ways : )

1 Like

So…. This or Novation Peak? Both similar and not so similar!

Go with the Modor! It´s similar versatile, but more fun playing live.
Plus supercool company/cs

1 Like

Hey welcome!

And Thanks for the help…

NF-1 looks really cool both aesthetically and functionally…really tempted to pull the trigger… I’ll let it simmer a bit more

1 Like

Thanks. Yeah it´s really a good one. Sounds very in its own league somehow.
cheers!

I’m curious what you mean by more fun live…does it have some performance features?

1 Like

i´m sorry, maybe it was written a little unclear. i meant that it is a very satisfying experience to tweak sounds on it. don´t know about any specific live performance features …

i’ve had a Peak for a couple years and just picked up an NF-1m a couple months ago…i’m definitely still getting used to the NF-1m, but in my experience there’s a lot of different sounds between them. the tl;dr of it might be that the NF-1m acts/sounds a bit more like a VA than the Peak does. (i certainly do not mean that as an insult of any kind though, i’m really enjoying the NF-1m’s sounds so far)

i’m pretty sure the Peak has more mod options, but that of course doesn’t make it necessarily better…i’ve found the NF-1m to have plenty of mod options for any patch i’m working on, but i’ve admittedly only done so much work with it, so maybe there’s some walls i’ll hit eventually, or maybe the options are actually closer to the Peak than it seems to me at the moment.

Peak’s effects are definitely more useful and powerful, i don’t think there’s much comparison there, but the effects on the NF-1m are still good to have built in.

and obviously since i’m using the NF-1m and not the full version, i can’t really compare, but the Peak seems to be a much more intuitive interface for quick and useful sound design on a synth. this was one of the reasons i picked up the NF-1m instead of the full NF-1…the interface of the NF-1, at least in photos and videos i’ve seen, still doesn’t seem like a ‘full synth’ experience, which the Peak imo gets much closer to with its interface design. i still wanted to grab the NF-1m for the sounds which do seem pretty interesting overall and unique, even if there is some overlap with my Peak and some other hardware synths i have.

1 Like

Thanks for the write up… its a back and forth for me regarding NF-1 and Peak… I do think the effects on NF-1 seem more Octatrackish in that they’re a bit lower quality but much wilder then on the peak.

I think Peak has NF-1 beat on almost every point (except the two filters on NF-1) on paper. But the NF-1 seems to hold some special sauce still…

1 Like

Special sauce indeed, i love the design, sounds and the interface. For me its a keeper

1 Like

that might be a good point to help you narrow down the choice…do you want something more versatile with a little more room for the future with the Peak, or something a little bit more odd and unique while still providing lots of more standard sounds with the NF-1?

i’m sure you’re going to enjoy either, whichever you end up with :slight_smile: …if you have any particular questions i might be able to answer feel free to ask though!

2 Likes

Hi there, just opened an account in here although I am another long term reader in here :wink:
So I have had the nf1m for a little while now and really love its clever interface and vast sound sculpting possibilities.
However there is (this) one thing I can’t get it to do, maybe some of you can help me achieve it:
How can I create different ADSRs for the levels of each oscillator? I know theres envelope 4, which is the amp for all osc’s, but I want each oscillator to behave independently …
Am I overseeing the obvious here?
Thanks a lot for any help with this!
Best,
Gus