MD as Midi Controller

hi guys… just delving into midi machines with the MD to sequence and mess my A4 (not yet the rytm)

is the MD in terms of midi controllability TOTALLY underrated?

I am talking 16 midi machines, cc values, plocks, 8p machine, ctl machine … resampling / ups this aint midi … and 16 x midi lfo

I’ve been using my MDUW less as an instrument lately, and more as an effects unit, as well as a sequencer for my standalone effects. You can get pretty nuts p-locking CC values on other effects units.

Since you’re exploring the midi machines, do you mind checking something for me? It doesn’t appear that you an LFO assigned to program change actually does anything on the MD, which is frustrating as it is one of my favorite things to do with the midi machines on the Monomachine. Do you mind checking that so that I can rule out user error?

I also had no idea that you could use the CTRL-8P on the midi machines. You just opened up a wealth of possibilities for me :joy:

I would think a bit about what advantage you would gain by sequencing another elektron box with probably the most limited elektron midi sequencer.
It’s ok for triggering other boxes, but the boxes you mention all have vastly superior sequencers built in, and then that still frees yer MD up to be, ya know, a drum machine ;].

The answer is in your post.
Set a ctr8p parameter to ProgChange on the desired Midi Machine.
Point your LFO to that specific CTR8p parameter.

This technique should work for other Midi machine parameters that dont directly work with LFO’s also.

This technique should work for other Midi machine parameters that dont directly work with LFO’s also.[/quote]
Oh man, that’s brilliant! Not sure I would have thought of this. Not as ideal as a direct link, but it’s a totally acceptable workaround.

This technique should work for other Midi machine parameters that dont directly work with LFO’s also.[/quote]
Oh man, that’s brilliant! Not sure I would have thought of this. Not as ideal as a direct link, but it’s a totally acceptable workaround. [/quote]
ya know its probably better just to p lock program changes messages between steps…I hadnt tried using a lfo for this but I am surprised that it doesnt work…
BTW p lokcing program change message on a synth that is running through a delay sounds pretty cool.
here check this track i did a million years ago- the main program change goodness starts at .15. its a voyager fyi

Oh man, that’s brilliant! Not sure I would have thought of this. Not as ideal as a direct link, but it’s a totally acceptable workaround. [/quote]
ya know its probably better just to p lock program changes messages between steps…I hadnt tried using a lfo for this but I am surprised that it doesnt work…
BTW p lokcing program change message on a synth that is running through a delay sounds pretty cool.
here check this track i did a million years ago- the main program change goodness starts at .15. its a voyager fyi
https://soundcloud.com/phesago/stride[/quote]
I do agree that p-locking PC is generally better, but there are some applications where I really like assigning an LFO to PC when sequencing external effects units (on the Monomachine, which does not have this restriction). You can get some pretty cool glitch weirdness doing this with the right FX units. But p-locking PC can still be wicked…I recommend that every MD owner go pick up a Midiverb II just to p-lock some of those reverbs to steps.