Maschine MK3 and Kontrol Mk2

I wouldn’t use one either unless they went as you said, full standalone.

I really hope Elektron take note of that user interface though. Imagine a Rytm with that sexy case.

4 Likes

I wonder just how big the new maschine pads are going to be… bigger than MPC pads?

And the new kontrol keyboard looks KILLER! No more faffing with both an APC40 and a ext keyboard, this baby will do both, saving prescious desk space. To me the new kontrol keyboard is the winner here and will undoubtedly become an ITB studio staple from now on, assuming the keyboard action is good.

1 Like

Tsutek do you use maschine?

How were you setting up the APC40 and keyboard? What steps do you see being integrated with this keyboard?

They say its the same keybed as the S61 MK1, in which case its a great action.

(This is entirely subjective of course, but its by far my favourite non-weighted keybed. I believe its the same Fatar TP/9S bed as found on Prophets, Blofeld, Novation SL MK II, etc)

1 Like

The Kontrol looks awesome. Wow. Wow. Wow.

So my Prophet 6 has that same keybed? I could just midi it up to my DAW / Maschine and go to town?

I’ve been thinking of getting the Komplete Kontrol as a master keyboard for a while, as well as upgrading from my old Maschine Mk1, and at that point diving into Komplete. These new versions look awesome (fuck yeah, proper pitch and mod wheels!), and are probably just what I need to get more into using VSTs again.

2 Likes

I don’t (yet) use maschine, but I’ve been on the fence for years. One of these days I’ll find a good deal on the mk II maschina on 2nd hand, and I will get one though.

But this has channel faders and clip launch (clip row, at least) and transport ctrls, and that’s about all I use my APC for anyways. Very tempted.

1 Like

DM me early October and I’ll have a great deal on a well cared for Mk2 for you! :wink:

3 Likes

The only downside for me is that I’ve never really found a flow that I like in using Maschine inside Live. So Live + Push remains a completely seperate entity to my Maschine Mk1 + Jam. Part of me would like to have the one ring to rule them all thing going and jus tadopt one platform but having the option is pretty cool.

I’ve also got an MPC Live to further complicate things and that’s basically sitting in the corner cowering right now at the Maschine announcement haha!

4 Likes

I just put it on a midi track in live and turn off the midi listeners and track out my audio individually through audio tracks.

What’s your workflow in live like?

I’m not exactly sure what makes the Maschine Mk3 better than MPC Live?

What am I gonna do with my maschine studio tattoo on my back?

5 Likes

I have to say to those that haven’t tried the Komplete Kontrol keyboards, they’re a great investment. I have the S61 and Komplete Ultimate, it’s really increased my workflow a huge amount. It’s a really elegant way to sort the presets in Komplete and a really easy thing to navigate around with.

I hope they don’t drop support for the original S-series keyboards as soon as the new ones hit the street though, that would be a bummer. NI has been known to move on from it’s own inventions pretty quickly…

3 Likes

It’s hard to explain really. Its just never really felt right. I like Live to be the master and when I say that I mean controlling everything from track volumes to scenes. Having MAschine on the go within Live just involved an extra layer of faffing about. Im sure I could get Maschine to change patterns/scenes via midi but I hate going down that route. I much prefer to approach Live and Maschine as two entirely different entities - I get more joy out of them that way.

Well, if standalone is your thing then there’s little to sway over the MPC. Since my holiday a month ago, I’ve used my Live maybe twice, both times it’s been in my study/studio within inches from my PC! Im in no rush to sell the Live at the moment, I think it’s got legs on it. But I’m not sure how much longer I can live with having 3 different “eco systems” on the go.

Of the two new NI units, it’s the new Kontrol that would probably go farthest in bridging my MAschine and Ableton experiences though.

Just put MK2 on the side because they probably release it at some point

2 Likes

A hummingbird told me there is a good chance that audio tracks are coming to Maschine standalone mode. :imp:

4 Likes

Yeah been on the cards for about a year now! Apparently it’s in beta so hopefully not too much longer to wait!

Standalone mode? Is this serious?