Machinedrum over a sampler for drums/bass

I have a super minimal setup (OT, small mixer and Ableton Live). I have an audio interface on the way I hope to use Ableton inside my OT midi tracks, mostly for synths sounds and fx.

But something got me thinking about replacing my sampler (OT) yesterday with a drum machine, mainly the Machinedrum. The reason I’m even thinking about this is, I would get a synthesis engine over using .wav file samples for drums (and bass) and I really like that idea. That way, it seems I would have a little (maybe a lot?) more control over my drum sounds, which is what I really need. And it looks as though it can do basslines, until I can get a bass synth. Also, for bass I could use a MD midi track for that as well. I do realize it’s not like the OT, where you have 8 audio and 8 midi tracks so that’s something to consider. I do a lot of drum sounds that might be consider industrial, with subtle (or something not so subtle) distortion and I see the MD have a dedicated track effect for that, which is nice as I can control the amount a bit better. Ultimately, it would be best to simply add a MD to my setup but due to many reasons I probably won’t be able to for a while so here I am considering the MD for drums/bass.

So, in your opinion would this be a smart move or not really? I’m getting along with the OT just fine and I really like it so it’s not a matter of it not being useful, it’s just I’d like to have more control over my drum sounds.

Also, it seems to be able to do pretty decent basslines, which would be a plus. Any disadvantages of using it for basslines?

Anything I need to consider as far as the Midi machines? I would be running an Ableton synth or two inside of the MD for every track…Any problems that I might not be seeing with this?

Ultimately, it’s really about having more control over the drums as drums and bass seems to be the most important for me…synth pads / samples come after. I didn’t realize how important drums/bass are in electronic music but I do now. :stuck_out_tongue:

Does Ableton Live not have any good way of synthesizing drum sounds or making bass lines?

I think it has basslines covered and probably drums too. But honestly, I don’t even have an audio interface just yet, it’s still in transit from a vendor, so not sure how I’m going to like using Ableton/software, it is nice when you don’t have a lot of cash to spend though. :smiley: One thing I do hate about using Ableton is it doesn’t have knobs or sliders so it’s not very “hands on”, the keyboard/mouse is no fun. Controllers might solve that problem but the ones I’ve tried are too fiddly. :-1:

I could be patient and just pick up a drum machine in December (that’s the soonest)…probably a MD if I find one in good condition…or a Rytm…would really like to use the OT as a sampler only…of course, I plan to use those MIDI tracks as well. :stuck_out_tongue:

I love my Machinedrum and will never be selling it. I’ll always use it for layers & because it’s downright fun to play and CTRL-ALL but with the knowledge I have now and the updates to the RTYM (mainly the Dual VCO), I wish I had gotten a RYTM

1 Like

Yes, the Rytm is very attractive as well. :thup: I do know one thing, I need a dedicated drum machine, whether it’s now or much later…OT can be my drum machine for now if needed, but I enjoy it more for sampling weird stuff to use in my tracks…ofc, midi sequencer is useful too.

Keep OT, save money for MD if you want it.
I got both and would never sell OT. :slight_smile:
Did you try drum kits with slices ?

3 Likes

You’re right, I think my want for a dedicated drum machine ASAP is fogging up my judgement. :sweat_smile: The OT is extremely useful so getting rid of it wouldn’t be smart. I think a little more patience is what I need.

Blockquote Did you try drum kits with slices ?

A little bit. I have one really good sample library and it comes with the OT chain examples so I really do need to explore that more. Maybe that’s what I’ll spend my time doing while I save up cash for the MD or… :grinning:

1 Like

I recommend Octachainer for quick drum kits sample chains !

And OctaEdit of course.

1 Like