Machinedrum and Bassdrum Samples with Space at the Start

as the MD does not have a visual graphical respresentation of a sample’s audio waveform, i sometimes forget that some of my fave bassdrum samples have a bit of silent space at the start of them.

then when i record/sample a drum loop to the Octatrack, i look at the start of the loop (via Audio Editor) and think "oh, i better go into Audio Editor Trim and set the Start time forwards a bit.

but the thing is if all the other samples or sounds used in the Machinedrum sequence don’t have any silent space at the start of them, then isn’t that then going slightly skew the rhythmic placement of the time feel of the sampled loop?

or is something else going on? am i thinking too much about this?

maybe i should go and edit all my fave bassdrum samples in Audacity so they start with no space whatsoever at the start of them, and reimport to the Machinedrum?

i don’t think it would matter so much with all the other samples (hihat, snare, etc) as it is usually the bassdrum that is on Trig 1.

That’s what I would do, at least if there aren’t too many of them.

Considering how little memory there is to play with, everything counts.

3 Likes

there are quite a few, and i’m not sure exactly of how many do have some space in front of them … but now after some thought, yes it does in fact make a lot of sense to do this.

cheers …

it isn’t so much a memory thing as i just load single drum samples and only use 50-80 percent of the 2.4mb flash memory.
anyway the groove is the important factor so it makes sense to go have a look at these fave bassdrum files and find out what is going on lol.

sample space on the MD is indeed at a premium, but if it’s just a few kicks you might try experimenting with start point first. the first half of the sample slots have a start parameter that is exponential, so you can make really fine adjustments. if your kick samples are saved to the second half slots, adjusting start time will have a more noticeable difference.

there can be advantages to having a bit of space at the start anyway. it can effectively let you go past 80% swing if need be. might also experiment with a random lfo aimed at start to give your groove a looser feel.

4 Likes

very cool … cheers for the loose groove encouragement.

i was momentarily wondering if i should sell the Machinedrum and go for a Digitakt.

but then found that an amazing groove interaction was happening between three rhythmic snippets of loops happening on the Octatrack, all of them previously captured from the Machinedrum.

it’s just sounding too awesome to even think of selling the Machinedrum ever again.

there is just so much character.

3 Likes

i sound like such a partisan fanboi when i say stuff like never sell the machinedrum, but: never sell the machinedrum. :smiley:

i’m quite looking forward to at least trying a DT/OT/DN trinity setup, down the road when i have the cash and elektron get a few more of their kinks ironed out. the new instruments have an undeniably great sound, and in any case i get nervous gigging with the silver twins now that they’re out of production. but eight years into MD ownership it still feels like a bottomless bag of tricks.

2 Likes

yes never sell the Machinedrum lol.
Although do gig with it as these instruments need to get out and about for the fresh air.

having a look at some of the bass drums used over the last few months …

they seem to be pretty tight at the start.

and how far does it need to be exactly trimmed … if i zoom in to the highest magnification in Audacity then i am noticing a very minimal amount of space at the start of the sample, but there really is not all that much space there whatsoever.

maybe other users could have a look at these and say whether they need a trim at the start?

i was recording the drum loop audio clips with the OT slaved to the Machinedrum … and they do say it is best for the OT to be master when recording. but i went ahead and did it my way anyway so as to maintain Swing function on the Machinedrum.

if i set the MD to sync to the OT’s transport and then set the tempo manually, yes that does then allow proper Swing function on the Machinedrum but then i also hear a detectable slight lag in the sync, as though the Machinedrum is playing a couple of milliseconds behind the OT.

that could be simply imagination or it might be real.
but then again it is a pretty simple task to go in to the Trim menu and push the start time of the audio loop forwards slightly. it isn’t much work to do that.

anyway everything is sounding pretty cool in the works-in-progress so most likely i’m thinking about this too much.