Logic Pro X and Overbridge

I think the AU version is just quite a bit behind the VST version at this point. Hopefully they’ll play catch up with it in the next update.

some little workaround for problem with individual track outs via OB AU:

• create an aggregat device or use your A4 as audio input
  • select aggregat device or A4 as audio input in logic
  • set your logic channelstrip to the corresponding inputs of the a4
  • create a new channelstrip with software instruments -> elektron overbridge

now you can edit your sounds via Overbridge AU and record via seperate audio ins :slight_smile: just turn the volume of the Overbridge AU down.

Do you select “sync A4 sequencer” in plugin parameters ?
How is it synced ?

yes i leave this always on, i also switched on “send sync to all midi ports” … but well, do not talk about latency ;)))

I even had to start TR8 manually
but Octatrack started nicely with the A4 via Midi cable

so prepare patterns, record them and tweak knobs, adjust timing / latency after recording per track in logic manually

How, i think you mean in Logic settings you send midi clock to A4.
But what i mean is do you select sync to a4 sequencer in Overbridge AU settings section ? For me it’s totally out of sync by using this method.

i checked yesterday … and “sync to daw” was switched off in Overbridge.
Otherwise I have also very high latency.

Thought I’d share my experiences trying to get Rytm/Overbridge 0.9.5 to play with Logic Pro X 10.1.

The first thing to be surprised at was that it all worked straight away – well, I had a glitch-free stereo track coming into Logic through the AU OB plugin. And it sounded really clean and sharp.

At first I had Logic’s MIDI sync set to output to the Rytm, but switching that off and switching on the Sync to Host option in the OB plugin seems to give better results (timing sounds more solid).

OK, next up was getting multiple track inputs happening . . . hmm, no multi-out version of the plugin means this is not possible for the moment.

So after reading this thread, I created an aggregate device in the Audio/MIDI setup and could successfully get multiple track inputs coming into Logic using either the External Instrument plugin on a Software Instrument track or a regular audio track. Problem is that it’s completely out of sync with the audio coming in through the OB plugin.

Apart from the timing, one other thing is very noticeable about the audio coming in via the OB plugin: The Rytm sequencer starts with Logic, but no audio comes for a couple of beats. The sound is not delayed; it’s just that there is no audio for a couple of beats or so. Capturing the audio with an audio track (rather than through the plugin on a Software Instrument track) doesn’t suffer from this problem.

So next up is recording . . . big surprise here is that recording on to an audio track seems to suffer from negative latency – recording from 1.0.0.0 results in the beginning of the first beat being cut off.

Automation: Twiddling knobs on the AR works as expected, and automation is transmitted from Logic to the OB plugin, but I can’t record automation from the OB plugin to Logic (i.e. setting the track automation to Latch (didn’t try Write or Touch) and moving some plugin parameters didn’t record any automation into Logic.

Programming sounds and kits from the AU plugin: Awesome! This is currently the best part of OB for me! So much better than using the unit itself.

Next to try: Using Virus TI Snow at the same time as Rytm/OB to see how well they play together.

Thanks for your reply.
Did you set the projet at 48Khz ?
Can’t undestand why it doesn’t work on Logic whereas it’s perfect on Ableton Live.

Almost no sound on Logic… By using the plugin output or aggreg device. Just some click sound sometimes

Thanks for your reply.
Did you set the projet at 48Khz ?
Can’t undestand why it doesn’t work on Logic whereas it’s perfect on Ableton Live.

Almost no sound on Logic… By using the plugin output or aggreg device. Just some click sound sometimes[/quote]
I work in 96khz because TR8 only streams audio via usb in 96khz. Overbridge will do the upsampling. I´m using Logic 9.1.7 .

same here … no sound for the first bars from the A4 when recording. You can hear this in my soundcloud link of the test recording.

Not checked automation yet … all what i noticed it, logic is recording midi cc even with overbridge on … so you can use automation in midi clips (the old fashíoned way).

[quote="“insect”"]

same here … no sound for the first bars from the A4 when recording. You can hear this in my soundcloud link of the test recording.

Not checked automation yet … all what i noticed it, logic is recording midi cc even with overbridge on … so you can use automation in midi clips (the old fashíoned way).[/quote]
Ok, little update. No clock send in Logic settings.
I tried to uncheck “follow song position” in OB plugin and check “sync to sequencer” and now i have the same probleme.
i finally have some sound but no sound during the first bars. Moreover when set a loop on Logic the sync and sound stop when the playhead jump at the start of the loop.
It’s a step forward but it’s not perfect actually, i hope the next versions will correct these problems :slight_smile: I trust on Elektron !

Insect - In aggregate device, have your audiointerface first in your chain and set to 44.1 or 48 kHz. Then the TR8 as second device. You will “force” the TR8 to record in 44.1 or 48. To do that you need Yosemite and LPX.

1.05 works fine for me in Logic straight out of the box. I didn’t get to test it in depth though.

Some things I find irritating: I can’t find a way to get an isolated stereo FX input into Logic. The main in on channel 1/2 and on the plugin track gives me only the total output, all tracks + FX. I was hoping for 4 separate tracks + stereo FX track for mixing things properly.
Also deactivating the Main out also deactivates all four tracks and basically mutes the whole machine.

thanks for the tip Calle! Will test … or even better trade my tr8 for an AR ;))

Same thing for me.
Now it works fine but I can’t seem to understand how to create the separate FX track.

Same thing for me.
Now it works fine but I can’t seem to understand how to create the separate FX track.[/quote]
I figured it out: In the plugins Kit tab under Voice Routing turn off the “Use Global Voice Routing Setting” switch and deactivate the four tracks to master. This way the stereo sum will become the wet FX track only and you can record it together with the four separate tracks.

Did Logic 10.2.0 completely break Overbridge?

My A4 will work fine and output all channels to the control panel but when I launch Logic, all hell breaks loose: the kit changes, notes pitch up randomly, and there is squealing and random held notes.

Tonight was the night I was going to sit and figure out multiple audio tracks with Overbridge but I’m not sure it works anymore. Anyone else update Logic?

Well, it wasn’t really useable in the full intended overbridge way anyway. Good as a patch editor though. When the (soon? to be released) non-beta for AU comes out I expect things will be good. Until then it’s probably too much trouble and best to wait anyway.

Good to know. I’ll hold off. It was one of the reasons I got an A4.

I couldn’t even use the editor. Just launching Logic with the A4 plugged in freaked the A4 out. Logic must be sending all sorts of garbage MIDI data.

I’m using Logic 10.2 on El Capitan so it’s not really a real-world scenario anyhow. I’ll try again when everything is out of beta.
thanks!

I got my AR yesterday, updated it to 1.21, installed OB 1.0.5.0 and wanted to give it a go with Logic. For starters I selected only main outs in the OB panel. Result…

I get sound, I get sync, the PlugIn and the machine communicate beautifully when twiddling knobs or using the mouse to change stuff… Then Logic crashes - hard!

This goes for Logic 9.1.8 and 10.0.0. After some twiddling, no matter what parameters, it’s beachball time, followed by force quit sadness.

So I went ahead and downloaded the ableton live 9 trial, uninstalled OB 1.0.5.0 and instead installed OB 1.0 for ableton live… Works like a charm… For hours and hours. Is this a sign I am meant to finally switch to ableton like everybody and his grandma has?