Korg MS-20 Mini, Korg arp Odyssey and Akai MPC-1000 sync help?

Long story short. I have the following devices, which I want to use, as setup and both synthesizers does not have midi-out, but CV/Gate:
Korg Ms-20 mini
Korg arp Odyssey
Akai MPC-1000

I want each device to use their own midi-in port to Akai Mpc-1000, during recording sessions.

What options do I have? (I understand that Ms-20 is Hz/V, while Korg ARP Odyssey has V/Oct).

I was looking for a solution like Roland SBX-1, but this device is missing the Hz/V.

Any tips, suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Thank you :wink:

Two different stories here.

A) Sync … If you use the MPC as masterclock and midi-recorder/player, both synths should sync well enough with the MPC and play the midi notes.

B) Recording midi into the MPC

Quick and dirty … get a midi-capable keyboard connected to the MPC, play your notes and route the notes via MPC to your synths … finished … :wink:

Complicated and supposed to be more expensive … two CV/Gate-to-midi converters, one for each of your synths, which provide the converted midi for recording with the MPC

I fear that converters dealing with Hz/V to midi could be rare, because today the V/Oct is the most used standard. Nevertheless, you might find something via Google or in the modular department.

There might be a misunderstanding. If your synths have midi-in only, they will receive midi only. There is no chance to record midi directly from the synths to the MPC.

what’s the long story long ? what do you specifically want to do ?

it’s all confusing, I’m not sure what the sbx1 does, maybe that’d clear it up

you talk of sync, then cv-pitch standards and also that you want to drive the synth via midi … that’s three different approaches to doing something, but what’s the something(s) you want to do

fwiw - an A4 is a dream pairing cv-wise with those synths and it’ll sync up via midi too

I need to convert the signals from CV to Midi, so I can record it into my MPC´s sequencer and the mpc can then spit the midi back via their midi-in on the devices.

A picture says more than 1000 words, this is what I wanna do…and the mystery box is what I am searching for.

1 Like

Check out this …

http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/m-cv/pcvmidi.shtml

seems to have Hz/V too … :wink: could be @teevee 's mystery box.

But if you have a midi-keyboard already, it would be cheaper and more reliable to use the keyboard :wink:

1 Like

Just tried my MIDI modded Monotribe in the mystery box slot, it does do the translation, but more often than not the MIDI of the penultimate note played on the MS is sent via the MT, the MT will faithfully use the HZ/v signal and track the MS, but the MIDI is compromised, note though, that there is a way to calibrate the MT and this may improve the cv>midi accuracy, but I haven’t thrashed that out

see here for earlier attempts ( I just remembered trying this before )