Korg Monologue

wicked, sounds good to me :+1:

You can overwrite all 100 patch memories.

It’s just that the first 80 are already populated with patches and sequences.

Fear not! This is not like DSI synths where you have “factory” patch section and a “user” section.
All 100 slots are available to be saved to.

3 Likes

You’re damn welcome! :wink:

(of course I’d never own a synth with only 20 user memories myself)

And sooner than the DT, surely, because RED!!!

1 Like

I can’t confirm. But i can test tomorrow evening if no one else can confirm.

edit, @bradleyallen
just remembered I’m rewiring everything tomorrow , so did a quick test…

Yes, I just sequenced my AK with Monologue.

Furthermore, motion sequencing works as well.
So you can also sequence CC#s to external gear, assuming the external gear has some CC#s that are also in the CC# list that Monologue’s parameters are assigned to.

5 Likes

TL;DR

I have a Microkorg that I bought for the vocoder and cheap simple portable synth. Great so far. I probably would not buy another monosynth though since between that and the Moog and software VST synths, I have enough. Also look at the Microbrute and Minibrute those are great and have lots of dials and knobs for tweaking oscillators, filters and LFOs.

Last night I used my monologue to sequence and control parameters on the Nave VST plug-in, then used its keys to play a long 5 voice phrase on a poly string patch with ableton’s “Analog” instrument plug-in.

Even ML’s switches send MIDI CC#s, and I particularly like using the OSC 1 Octave switch to arm recording of a MIDI clip slot in Live.

It’s a great controller for a hybrid hardware/daw workflow, and a solid interface as well.
It operates as two MIDI devices in a daw, one is the kb/knob controller, and the other is the ML’s DIN MIDI input port.

4 Likes

Sounds like this is just what I was hoping it’d be.

:heart_eyes_cat:

6 Likes

nice (if obvious) workaround for latching a note for drones… i’d been using a card to hold keys down (for sustain) until now.

Hadn’t even thought of using it for drones but that’s a good idea, the I bet tempo knob could behave like an LFO rate knob for the drone too…

I set up a simple drone patch that I was going to use for a drone comedy show a few months ago. I f’d up and left the stupid backpack in the house - the one with the Monologue in it!! :sob:

Anyway, there is a menu option to set the tempo slower than the tempo knob will allow (30 bpm). My drone patch has the sequencer set to 15 bpm.

I was going to my MS-20 Mini for the same job, but laziness won the day - the Monologue can easily fit into a backpack - the MS can’t.

Might record a drone duet between the two as time allows.

2 Likes

What is drone comedy show? (Cranks reverb up to 65 percent wet and the audience roars with delightful laughter)

4 Likes

The concept started out as a joke between a comedienne friend and another mutual friend - a standup comedian would perform a set, accompanied by a drone musician. Originally the comedian and the drone-er were supposed to ignore each other.

I played with two comedians. The first turned around a couple of times to react - the 2nd time, he said “Where’s the wolf coming from???”. The 2nd followed the original concept more closely - pretty much ignored me. :wink:

7 Likes

Oh man I thought it might be a typo at first because it’s such a strange and intriguing combo of things… I think this story just made my day :smile:

1 Like

I’d definitely go watch this.

2 Likes

Huh, I wonder if Oscillator Sink (Youtube) is getting any credit for detailing these tricks months ago…

3 Likes

Cool, the Moog Music guy showed us the filter-as-oscillator trick and the “drum machine” trick on the Mother-32, at the Mother 32 workshop in DC last winter.

Fun tricks to try on any analog/VA synth that has a built-in sequencer and some kind of parameter automation (“motion recording” in Korg speak).

1 Like

In fairness to Oscillator Sink, here’s the first video of his Korg Monologue Tricks series:

He also has a Monologue…Let’s Build series, focused on patch creation.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I was kind of getting at - these tricks were discovered so long ago that we don’t know who deserves the proper credit. Best we can do is share the info and make music.