Korg Monologue

me too

You can rewrite all of the patches, and IIRC a factory reset will bring them back.

2 Likes

Are anyone elseā€™s Monologue OSCsā€™ sawtooth waveforms tuned an octave higher than the other waveforms?

On both my OSCs that is the case.
It doesnā€™t bug me but I wonder if itā€™s an intentional quirk or a defect.

(EDIT: Nevermind. Watching Marc Dotyā€™s video, this is intended.)

What a cool synth.
Iā€™m loving how you can mute steps of automation independ by of the notes.

1 Like

How would you compare Monologue to Mother 32 which I currently own now. Should I ditch the Moog for it?

Decided that iā€™m probably not gonna go on modular route for now, and if I do I would probably end up selling M32 anyway.

If you value patch/sequence memory, and motion sequencing, then yes.

Otherwise, the M32 is a great synth.

I never tried an M32 but I gelled with the Monologue quickly and Iā€™ve had it since it right when it came out so its been a longer love affair than some of the othersā€¦ lol It can do things like assigning cutoff freq to how hard you play the keys and the quirky joystick is assignable to more than just pitch so itā€™s a cool tactile synth to grab and play expressively

2 Likes

The sequencer wasnā€™t fun for me on the M32. The sequencer on the Monologue is fun.

3 Likes
4 Likes

sounds of the future coming from the mothership. :alien:

Pretty tempted to replace my MS20 mini with a monologue. How stupid am I?

Yeah, I just feel like the patch memory and seq would make it a much better live tool. Iā€™ll probably miss the weirdo self-generating bubblers but hey, maybe I can replace that side with System 55 or something.

Haha, I meant the iPad app! Probably has a different name.

1 Like

My realtime workflow is in love with the Monologue sequencer.
The ability to mute/activate motion sequence steps independent of note steps is marvelous.

Iā€™ve been heavily modulating decay, wave shape, and resonance with the motion sequencer.
Tweaking these parameters in realtime while activating/de-activating the steps that have that motion sequencing can take a single 16 step pattern/patch to so many places.

The switches for LFO and ENV type are fun for quick variations. As is assigning the mod stick to atypical parameters. I love how you can assign just one OSCā€™s pitch to it. Great for a quick realtime sub-OSC creation.

I keep a blank sequence/patch in the next slot to the one I am tweaking so that I can just quickly go to it and back to my main sequence/patch as a pseudo-ā€œreload saved programā€ function.

What an axe!
It is everything I wish my old BS2 were. Somehow the Monologue sequencer implementation and overall synth design makes up for it having less filter options, 1 less envelope, 1 less LFO, and no sub OSC or ARP, when compared to BS2.

9 Likes

If youā€™re timing is right, you can kind of switch two patches back and forth with the program knob, while the sequencer is playing, to hear how theyā€™d sound chained together.

This all sounds like tons of fun. How quick is it to respond to prog change for chaining sequences?

Iā€™ve been doing this. It can be done! Great for variations.

responding externally, I canā€™t say.
when chaining programs standalone, it stays quantized but sometimes mutes one step if your timing is off.
I imagine with a properly micro timed/nudged program change from DT, you could avoid that.

2 Likes

Via the monomachine it snaps to prog changes instantly, and also jumps pattern mid stream if its sequencer is running. Solid behaviour, though would be good to have an option to play from start of pattern on patch change as well.

Has anyone had any luck loading custom tunings?

10 Likes

Man do I look ce these two guys.
Thx @Prints, this made my day !

1 Like

Great read. His comments could could make many additional people buy a monologue, volca sampler and volca fm :wink: Me included :laughing:

3 Likes