Keys VS Four, is Keys worse?

So I’m starting to gas for the analog 4/keys and I’ve noticed a trend in the used market; the Keys seems to list cheaper then the 4 quite often.

I’ve never used either personally so I’m forced to research online. I was leaning towards the keys for the individual outputs (man I wish they would have put that on the four) but I’m worried now that the keys is just to large and puts the user too far away from the rather small screen. I also like the four because it is DC powered and I have a battery that will make it portable.
Anyway, does anyone have experience or opinions to share?

Thx

1 Like

I’ve seen a lot of people talk about loving the workflow of the Keys > Four. I think it’s just the size aspect that people are eager to get rid of it.

Dig my AK but often wish I had the A4 just for its footprint. So I could use it around the house or fit it on my main desk easier etc. AK perks have kept me from trading so far tho…

It’s more of a size issue. For example I have trolled the local classifieds in my area an an OB6 keyboard goes for less than the module because of the size. Once you have your favorite keyboard you want to use modules everywhere else.

I don’t know about cheaper but the ak seems more of a specialty product. I have both and the keys is way more usable if you ignore size. The keys are inspirational and inspire cool arps and playing in things like beats live. Ditto the joystick and bonus midi mode and outs. I think the short coming is when you compare it to another poly keyboard. Considering your options there, it’s a different calculation.

1 Like

let’s not go there !

Individual A4 outs are a possibility if you are good with a drill /soldering-iron

It seems a no-brainer to me if you don’t mind the added bulk of the keys, get the keys, especially as the s/h differential can be advantageous … personally i like the A4 form factor (and mini keys tbh) and consistency with the dark trinity, but in every other way the keys is just a little bit better (if space is not an issue) … get the keys

has a teeny bit of sonic finesse engineered in
has good keys(midi controller too)/joystick
has individual outs
has workflow boosters

Is it pretty easy to play chords/poly mode now? I know when A4 came out it wasn’t an option. I also thought it was a complaint people were making but it appears to have been remedied via some updates.
Also, can you capture the joystick with the sequencer yet? That might push me to the AK if so.

If you search the forum, you’ll see that’s a no - and it never will be a Yes btw.

Poly is easy, but i see it as a waste of the other tracks, the voices are so deep for doing stuff, i don’t turn to poly - but it ought to be just about as easy on the A4 to get poly set up and going

For the record, I own the RYTM and the screen doesn’t bother me at all. I’m just concerned about being farther away and what that will do to my neck if I have to lean farther forward to see it.

But yeah, im not trying to rekindle the screen size debate :slight_smile:

Well, that kinda settles it for me then. The joystick seems a little useless for me as I’ll be programming stuff more than live playing and I can add a cheap, small keyboard for the rest.
And maybe someone will offer the A4 ind out mod as a service down the road.

Thanks for the help everyone

1 Like

Dunno how relevant it is to your workflow or how well A4 covers the same thing, but having the LEDs on every key across the octaves on the AK is pretty useful for programming/reference etc. I kind of take it for granted now but it’s probably something I’d miss if I switched to A4.

2 Likes

Woah, I’ll have to check that out, I didn’t know about that feature

1 Like

A4 will show for the current octave, but not quite in the dynamic manner you see for the keys … certainly another plus point for the keys

If space isn’t an issue, for a s/h purchase it should be keys based on some of your points (outs) … but that A4 would sit very nicely with your AR :wink:

1 Like

If 2017 doesn’t suck as bad as 2016, I’m gonna get both.
Probably start with A4 for portability but the AK does sound better for workflow.
Plus 8 tracks is better than 4.
Finding a companion for the RYTM has been a real chore. I wanted to avoid another Elektron box so I could mix in some different character but after a year of buying and returning, the Elektron sequencer is just too damn good and fun and no other synth/sequencer combo comes close.

I used to own A4 but traded it for AK. It’s my only hardware synth at the moment and I love it. The keybed feels great and it also works nicely as a midi controller (even though it doesn’t sequence in midi). It is suited well to be the centerpiece of a small studio.

Ive been Toying with the Same issue.
I have been Testing The Keys At WestEndDj when Ever i am There an i find the Keys nice an Comfortable playing An Messing about With…
I suppose it Is All Down To Personal Preference?. I aM by no Means A Keyboardist/Synth/Pianist.
But id go for the Keys over The A4 But Would have Both if I COuld :grin:

I ended up getting both. Love them both for different reasons. Sound availability is more or less the same. Eight tracks of gooodness.

1 Like

I got the AK, sold it. I don’t miss the AK but sometimes I wish I had an A4.
The AK is a weird product, it’s half baked IMO. The small format makes more sense. I think it’s also easier to accept the limitations with the A4. It’s a better groovebox than a wannabe/failed master keyboard controller (midi fail).

I prefer the A4. I actually think the compact size and zen-like state that puts me in, improves the workflow. And I’m a keyboard player.

Oooh! I hadn’t thought until right now of the possibility of sending the note and joy stick information to the A4 and thus have the workflow advantage that is like having 2 AKs(just one of them being portable