Just using one sample examples

Hi
Its amazing to just use one sample and turn it into one track. But how do you go about this on the OT? Ive watched in amazement at Mr Dataline weave his magic.

Over 108,000 views. It seems so simple(but i bet its not). How do you go about taking one sample like he did and create a fantastic piece of music? Do you have to be a genius to do this?

Well it helps to understand how audio works from the ground up. I don’t own an OT, but with any sampler with a filter you can construct everything you need to create a track. The most important part might be to understand that if you loop the sample and make the loop short enough, you can use it as a single cycle waveform. You can play that and shape it as you would any kind of synth. All in all, start with figuring out how individual sounds are constructed from the bottom up. Start with a basic drum kit, kick hat, snare. Combine that with the mentioned technique of short loops for melody and bass, and you’ll start to see how you can do a lot with a single sample.

3 Likes

Examples of what we’ve made with OT’s metronome record only :

1 Like

Cheers guys. I can formulate a track with multiple instruments. But im not understanding how to get that beat down. My sense of rhythm is crap. Hence my soundscape/ambient work only. How do you get the rhythm going like he does? Do you go with stock rhythms like hip hop or do you create your own?

I never use loops, I either program or play in the beat. If you wanna learn how to get groovy beats, one trick is to find some beats you like, and try to approximate it by copying it. Basically do a little cover version. It’s a bit of trial and error, but it’ll help you understand things better. This is a good method for practicing all sorts of production elements. How do they get that kick sound? Why is this so groovy? Try and copy it and you might figure it out :slight_smile:

1 Like

What a great idea. I never thought of breaking it down like that. Cheers!

You will find many ideas how to do this in these two videos.
Although they are for rytm and digitakt, this is all doable in the OT as well.

In the second video you have to watch till the end, where he transforms the amen break into melodic sequences

3 Likes

Cheers for the videos. They look the sort of thing that will help :).

they will :wink:

1 Like

It requires lots of experimenting twisting knobs and parameters to hear how it changes the sound, and after exploring tons of them and getting the feel for how the sound changes, start combining them to make new sounds…

Loads of plocks are involved, and scenes, you basically just warp the audio extremely with parameter changes and lock them to trigs and scenes. Copy/pasting trig so with tons of locks helps to reuse the sounds…

I know that’s pretty general, but really just by tons of experimentations you’ll here tons of crazy stuff from the OT. Then lock the edit pages to a trig or scene and reload you part to begin tweaking again. Every time you plock a trig for a warped sound you have it to copy/paste.

Then there’s lfo’s, part switches, fx, realtime sampling and playback on warped flex tracks… Probably lots more stuff… I know I’m not saying how to do it, but thought the ideas could help…

2 Likes

Thanks Mike.
Thats really helpful at my stage of learning. Are these number of locked triggers and scenes unlimited ie tons? Or do you have to bank them somewhere for use later?

I have a lot of samples(i have ez drummer 2 and a lot of their library) is this cheating?

I think @AdamJay tested and plocked every parameter to a trig!

This isn’t something I do, I do all realtime sampling stuff with my OT, although I’ll definitely warp the schmack out of it with scenes and patterns of plocked trigs…

I’ve just learned and played with the OT enough to grasp how you’d do it…
I’ve definitely heard sounds from my live samples that are so far removed from the source sound it’s just crazy!

Folks usually want to know how to do things step by step, and that certainly helps to get going and is fine… But I always recommend experimentation and learning to grasp the OT features, concepts, structure, and how it all relates, instead of the steps to make it happen. If you do that then you can “see” how to do things that you’ve never done before, and by knowing the OT well you understand how different things you’ve never done before can work… It comes with time, research, determination, practice, determination, research, testing, testing, testing, and time… and practice. :rofl:

1 Like

Cheers Mike
I was looking at BOC. Or similar. This may be possible on the OT? Sampling heaven. But going back Datalines video what it does is probably imo its best feature. That is creating something from virtually nothing except a creaking door. Or a fan whirring. I get lost sometimes by having to much stuff at my disposal.

2 Likes

Sure did and OT is the only Elektron without a p-lock limit. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

How many plocks was that Adam?

All of them. Every single parameter.
I wasn’t counting.

3 Likes

I think you were counting, or you got a number from somewhere… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong, max plocks for scenes is (6 per page x 5 + 1 for Level) x 8 tracks + 2 XDIR = 250 ?
For trigs, 6x5 - Xvol = 29 ?

1 Like

Every p-lock conditionalized, wonder what that would sound like.
I guess for me, by accident it will be a saxophone again :sweat_smile:

5 Likes