Is Keystep the best?

Kinda weird that it starts on F… maybe it makes no difference in the approach / way of playing. I dig how the Monologue starts on E.

1 Like

The best? Not for me. Bought it and returned it.

I went for Samson Graphite 49. Mainly because of midi control. One template has like 16 pots, 18 sliders, 16 buttons and 8 pads. Switching is fast, see everything on screen. Has both 5pin midi out and USB.
Very basic midi assignment, but does the job.
I don’t lug it around.

It depends…

The small footprint and all the functionality is great, but with my Digitone i actually prefer a larger Keyboard. But e.g. for my MS20M or Peak the Keystep is perfect.

I’m wondering if to purchase the Keystep to use with a Digitakt and a JP-08. I see it everywhere and seems to be really good… the only thing holding me back is a bad experience with previous Arturia products in the shape of the SparkLe, it was the most buggy piece of software I have ever encountered. Reviews for the Keystep are generally positive, but there is mention of odd behaviours and crashes… how stable is the firmware in your opinion? Is the sequencer and arpeggiator really worth it? Or should I just go for something like the Swissonic 49 on Thomman?

1 Like

Same. The keybed is super great, as I’ve mentioned before on this forum.

I tried the Keystep in store, and the keybed just seems cheap and spongy in comparison. Great features though. If I didn’t already have the KMI QuNexus for CV I’d probably have to get one.

1 Like

I love my Keystep for the smart sequenceringy thingy and connectivity. I also use it as a midi channel swapper - [shift+key] easy! Smart device.
Reface CP for playing I like better. But hardly use it for playing, our piano has a midi connection so … that’s the real not so portable deal.

I stopped taking gear with me on all vacations, less worries. I listen to silence instead and nature - receptive senses, etc.
Family happy, me happy.
&
Recharged for fresh soundwork or ready to finish things that are overdue.

Have a good trip!
T.

PS: a small often local instrument I’ll buy on the spot or a few LP’s … it never really ends. :smiley:

PPS: Got mixed up with the VACATION post… good trips anyway :grin:

Most retailers are sold out of the Keystep. Surprised such a low price and useful product is so hard to get ahold of.

I would get a Keystep for the synths and a Beatstep for the drum sequencer features.

I had no idea the prices they are going for until I read your post and looked up sold listings on eBay. I own a black Keystep and here I am looking at eBay sold listings and the most recent black one went for $280. I like my Keystep but I don’t like it THAT much.

2 Likes

For its price its simply a no brainer.

2 Likes

The black edition was Limited. Thats why PPL want it. The White one for 119€ works the Same.

1 Like

The keystep is a winner because of its connectivity and form factor. I can actually fit mine into my backpack!

Now then, not overly fond of the keys and the modwheel/pitchbend strips are subpar. Even when I output CV, I can clearly hear stepping with the modwheel…

Much much prefer my Roland A49 keyboard. But when I need to be mobile etc, the keystep fits the bill, not too big but not unusably small either (unlike my QuNexus, which is to small to comfortably play fast stuff on)

I have the QuNexus for VSTs but it’s a real pain in the ass to use that MIDI expander (which needs its own power) when using straight into hardware. If not for the MIDI expander annoyance, the QuNexus would have been perfectly fine for me.

1 Like

word.

also, i switched from the qunexus to the keystep because the qunexus was such a pain to play and that expander, bleh…

crazy prices they’re going for…i got a black one for $119 shipped within the last year. maybe i should sell? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hey,
was thinking about to buy a keystep but figured out now that Arturia Microfreak has Midi Out. Is any of you guys playing A4/ DN with Microfreaks touch capacitive polyphonic keyboard with aftertouch? How does it feel/play?

Btw.: Sorry, but I did not scroll through 1000+ posts in Microfreak topic…
Thanks a lot!

…keystep can handle pretty much every task… has solid inbetween size keys with aftertouch…is easy to handle…rocksolid…and… it’s cheap in price…

a classic no brainer…while the “keyboard” on the freak is something totally different…

1 Like

I love my Keystep, and it was recommended up here.

Now that I have the “Arm to start” working from the latest firmware update, I really can’t live without it.

Best regards,

Gino

4 Likes

Ohh yes! Page 69 => 8.10.3.12. Arm to Start

ON: When set to On, the sequencer no longer executes automatically but does pass on
synchronization signals to devices that are daisy chained to the KeyStep. In other words, if
sync is set to external and no synchronization signal is coming in, pressing the play button
will make the play button blink but the sequence will not play until a synchronization signal
comes in. This is a useful feature in cases where you want to have manual control over
KeyStep’s sequencer but always want the synchronization signal to be passed through to
other devices connected downstream through the KeyStep.

That’s a great part of the update, must be setup asap.

5 Likes

Indeed :slight_smile:
Putting the Keystep between OT and DN has been such a nightmare!
I was so happy discovering this :+1:

1 Like

My turn :sunny: