Is it possible to midi CC learn blofeld settings?

Hey , I’ve recently bought blofeld to use with my octa and have been wondering if its possible to learn cc.

At the moment when i am trying this function on octatrack it shows on screen “listening for midi cc messages…” and while i twist the knobs on blofeld nothing happens.

Is it the problem that blofeld does not have midi out , is it possible to somehow integrate this function?

You need a midi out for that!

I think through USB you could set this up, with an external usb->midi solution! Also make sure the Blofeld sends out cc’s.

I never use midi over usb, but I am sure there are youngsters here that can assist you with that!

(great little combo, by the way! OT+Blofeld, mod those wavetables and fly away)

4 Likes

I have that combo, but since I have an A4…

On the Blo you can send midi messages turning knobs only via midi Usb, so it’s not that easy. Via a computer, or something like Kenton Usb to Midi, you can “convert” it to Midi DIN.

As there are only 10 Control Change per track in OT, i’d choose the corresponding CC numbers you can find in the Blo manual.
You can choose 4 CC corresponding the 4 Control WXYZ, and use it to control several parameters in the Matrix.
In OT there’s already modulation (CC1) and Pitch Bend, and Aftertouch midi messages.

You can use several tracks on the same midi channel, in order to add 10 more CC (per track).

2 Likes

Its never occurred to me that I could use the Kenton USB Host to do this, I happen to have one so I’ll try this sometime :slight_smile:

Edit: I seem to remember reading a thread about problems over USB midi with the Blofeld in multi mode. The channel for cc is hardwired to 1, or something like that. I can’t find the thread now though…

1 Like

Maybe the Blo has to be midi class compliant too.
IConnectMidi4 may have Usb to Midi Din too.

1 Like

bomebox would do this also …

1 Like

UI use cc IN to my Blofeld from OT on several channels in multi mode & it works fine.

Rarely used the usb out though so I’m not sure about that side of things. I use the midi cc table to set up manually rather than learn mode

Sorry - just read that you were asking specific to usb & I’m just using midi. But I’ll leave it up there as example of positive experience with the Blofeld multi mode as it has a bad reputation!

2 Likes

Yeah I usually assign the cc manually too and also use midi all the time, it just never occurred to me before that I could get midi out without a computer, I usually use the Kenton box the other way round.

1 Like

Up above it says the Blofeld only sends cc via USB MIDI.
Allow me to edit, this is true if you have the module, but I know from experience
I can control a Blofeld module connected via DIN MIDI to a Blofeld keyboard,
and its MIDI OUT.

Hi. I am trying to control one or more of the Blofelds matrix amounts via a single cc. It looks like single assignable (WXYZ) cc does not register the matrix amounts. Can anyone think of a workaround?

Your question appears to be nothing to do with MIDI learn on the Octatrack.

On the Blofeld, you can use one of the W, X, Y, or Z controls as a modulation source and either an envelope sustain level or modifier amount as a modulation destination in one modulation slot, then use another modulation slot with the affected envelope or modifier as the modulation source.