Introducing Digitakt

I have no objections to this. Endless dialog is the basiss of all democracy.

3 Likes

I agree, not all products will strike a chord with everyone, I was bummed when I realised drum synthesis was missing. However to say they rushed the release of a product because Akai were showing MPC live is silly though.

1 Like

What strikes me as most interesting with Elektronā€™s communication around the DigiTakt, is that they once again remain silent on just about everything but a potential release date, and a basic set of features. Youā€™d think that after Overbridge, theyā€™d learned. Silence is not the option, just more clarity.

So either they donā€™t know, and the reason weā€™re not hearing more is that they actually donā€™t know yet if the unitā€™s gonna play back stereo or mono samples, if it samples in stereo, if it has synthesis and so on. Itā€™s in the cards, but until it works in beta and seems stable, thereā€™s nothing to tell. And thatā€™s fine.

But if they do know that synthesis was never in the cards, never gonna happen, and of course itā€™s a mono sampler - then not saying so, is just not a properly thought out communication strategy.

Compare to the MPC Live - thereā€™s a bunch of stuff we know for a fact. What we donā€™t know, Akai says ā€œWe donā€™t know yet. Or we canā€™t say.ā€

Itā€™s not - ā€œHaha, maybe we know, maybe we donā€™t, youā€™ll just have to see. One of the reps on the Namm floor might slip something, but officially, weā€™re just not telling. Hah.ā€

Given the cycles of development, itā€™s hard to believe that they havenā€™t decided by now if itā€™s a stereo device or if it has synthesis. An April launch would indicate itā€™s in internal beta, or close to it.

So letā€™s assume they want to aim for synthesis, but donā€™t know if itā€™s going to work, given hardware and software restrictions. You could then communicate:
ā€œAt launch, the DigiTakt wonā€™t have any drum synthesis of the kind. We repeat - no drum synthesis. Itā€™s a sample playback instrument.ā€

Or - ā€œWe are looking into options to implement drum synthesis in the future. It will not be available at launch. We canā€™t say for sure that itā€™s ever gonna happen, or that it will be part of a release in the future. But we are investigating it. But donā€™t hold your breath. This is primarily a one shot drum sampling instrument.ā€

As for stereo sampling:
ā€œRight now, we are aiming for mono sampling only. Itā€™s a focused one shot drum machine, and thatā€™s the way you should look at it. We realise stereo sampling is an attractive option and considered by many to be mandatory today, but for the moment, we believe that this more focused approach allows you to work with the instrument as a singular drum machine, which is what it is. Itā€™s not intended to replace the Octatack, but could very well make for a great companion, if your work is very sample-heavy.ā€

If you donā€™t know, thatā€™s fine. If thereā€™s nothing to tell, thatā€™s cool.

But if you do know, just be honest about it.

Haters gonna hate either way, and lovers gonna love you even more.

9 Likes

@tsutek all good mate, I was just kiddingā€¦ Iā€™m impressed how Adam remembered this sentence of yours though :wink:
I totally agree with you, fyi.

@andreasroman They totally need someone to deal with their communication.
If they made clear the points you underline, I canā€™t see how it would cripple their strategy and/or sales.

Maybe you should apply for such position !!

If you were doing this as a consultant, you could also apply to TE :wink:

2 Likes

Ah, the irony - I do this as a consultant, and I live in the same city as Elektron and close to the TE headquarters as well.

But Iā€™ve already been snagged by other parties, so theyā€™d have to offer me both milk and cookies, for me to consider it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Well, this thread is about ā€œIntroducing Digitaktā€.
Two words.
The Digitakt part, weā€™ve seen a bit, but the ā€œintroducingā€ is still perfectible IMO.
And I like your vision ^^

1 Like

Im always amazed by the culture of Elektron as a compagny. Basically all their devices are good drum machine even the monomachine and the A4. But it seems that melodies, chords, ambient stuff is slightly out of their DNA. I mean elektron is the only one compagny that can sell a Sampler at 1400 euros which can play only samples over two octaves, cannot play a sample in stereo nor a chord. But it is the only one which has record buffers and scenes : it is a bliss and a curse at the same time.

And im pretty sure the story will be the same with the digitakt. It will probably again be a great drum machine, good for glitches and fails as a traditionnal sampler. But if elektron try to extend their territory towards melodies/chords/ambient stuff it will be an incredible machine.

3 Likes

Just checked, you are totally right. And i fully agree with the posts about the communication as well.

Itā€™s simply not professional. Be transparent.

Frankly Iā€™m quite fed up with the whole discussion. Iā€™ve wasted to much hours finding out what this machine actually does.

Might as well leave it alone and shift focus.

Wait : OT does stereo sampling! Doesnā€™t it ?

OT samples stereoā€¦

My elektron gear does melodies, chords, and ambient stuff just fine.

2 Likes

And I use a lot the OT to sequence my Blofeld on different channels + Volca + PreenFM2 + Moog SP
(Plockable ARP + 10 CC + 4 notes + 3 LFO) x 8 tracks is pretty powerful. And, well, melodic !
Being able apply filters or FX and sample these all at the same time, I find it so powerful !

Now itā€™s true you cannot play a sample as a chord, a pity.
The chromatic limitation is also weird, as OT embeds tools to expand it in more or less direct way (BPM, rate).

Still, itā€™s such a musical instrument ! I mean, you can really PLAY music with it, not only PROGRAM it.
This being drums or melodies.

2 Likes

He said ā€˜elektron gearā€™ so I refer to akeys, afour etc etc.

Yes indeed.

I should have quoted the following sentence :

@AdamJay would talk about the tool in the right hand :wink:

Anyway, I understand @zite909 : Elektron logic is based on carving loops. If you comply to this logic, an Elektron magic is an incredible tool.
If you want to play it like a piano only, itā€™s still possible but maybe youā€™ll hit limitations more often.

Anyway, back to the topic : I can only hope there are still hidden specs that will prove us Elektron is still planning to come up with tools that help pushing the lines of today music production.

2 Likes

Iā€™m sorry I just canā€™t get over the fact that the buttons are labeled KD SN HH and so on, do people really need their hand held in such a way? Or is this a nod to the romplers of the nineties? A tongue and cheek design quirk? I think it is a retro look for a powerful futuristic mono drum rompler/sampler. Most Elektron veteran users are not going to be happy, but this box will have useful features. I donā€™t see myself shelling out $650 for what I essentially already have in the AR and OT but this will be a fun box to have nonetheless.

i think people need some more information the speculation is boring.

1 Like

The RYTMs pads are labelled too soā€¦ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

1 Like

Unnecessarily so but more pertinent for the toms, high hats and cymbals.

ā€œA loving throwback to the legending found on the MD panel.ā€
from 7 days ago, in this same thread:

3 Likes

The MD has been cited on this one.
Indeed, you can put any machine to any track on a Machinedrum.
Yet, the labelling is handy to know where you put which sound, especially on 16 tracks ^^
For instance, for me CB is alien sounds, HT some temporary weird phrase, etc.
Better IMO than some simple numbering.

EDIT: :thup: @AdamJay