Introducing Digitakt

Yes, direct. on its way!

1 Like

I think of it like a deluxe SP-404: itā€™s not meant to be an instrument or sequencer that does everything. Thatā€™s fine with me (in fact itā€™s exactly what Iā€™ve wanted for years), but I can see why these absent features will bother people who are expecting something closer to the OT or MPC. As always we should expect the feature set to grow with the OS.

So much of the DT appears to be designed around speed. Pattern chaining looks very efficient, for example. It canā€™t handle everything, but in place of all that functionality we get immediacy. Iā€™m sure Iā€™m not alone in feeling that immediacy has been lacking in many sample-based instruments.

8 Likes

hmmā€¦ itā€™s pretty obvious what the thinking behind this device was, imho.

focus on the essentials of an elektron groovebox; making these essentials shineā€¦ stripping out less-used thingsā€¦ cutting price in half. significantly upgrading the UI. Canā€™t wait to find out how it feels jamming out with it!

6 Likes

Yeah, I get it. But it just seems to veer toward stingey and un-inspired. Even at its ā€˜cheaper than old big boxesā€™ price. Those are two things I never would have said about AK or OT. Feels like a different company.

Edit - ā€˜Cheap boxā€™ didnā€™t have to = DT. They could have done loads of new/exciting stuff with this. Or at least been more generous with stuff pulled from other boxes.
Especially considering most of the DT features are old or slightly modified from old, tech/cpu is cheaper than when OT dropped and it has no separate outs etc. Ridiculous that you have to pay for OB. I wouldnā€™t call it anywhere near a ā€˜budgetā€™ box after thats includedā€¦

2 Likes

I left the internet for 10 days. This thread has 1240+ posts in that time. Nice work, people :thup:

6 Likes

Everything would have been ok if there were a compressor lol

2 Likes

Thatā€™s what my SW guy told me yesterday.

So they put in all these new fancy features in DT and the old box crew complain more they dont get the features. Elektron cant win either way.

4 Likes

Whereā€™s the ā€œfancyā€ feature that lets you save pattern chains? I guess I have to buy a fancy $99 Alesis SR-16 to be able to perform those futuristic feats.

2 Likes

Eight midi tracks with no song mode and no way to save chains. Might as well put 20 cup holders on a bicycle. Real fancy stuff.

3 Likes

Guess you will :slight_smile:

Just add beer :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Alright, alrightā€¦ lol! :sweat_smile:
Give me break, Iā€™d been drinking redonkulously strong breakfast stouts and it just seemed possibleā€¦ :smile_cat:
I like to keep an ā€œopenā€ mindā€¦ :smiley_cat:

1 Like

Youā€™d hope those kind of nonsense concerns arenā€™t really taken seriously at HQ :wink:

1 Like

think outside the box. Get yourself a midi cable.

3 Likes

If the DT doesnā€™t save pattern chains, Iā€™ll get creative and buy a machine that actually does some basic things that all drum machines should be capable of doing.

4 Likes

Some of you people really need an OS upgrade ā€¦ get on it, get like this catā€¦ please :zonked:

6 Likes

Iā€™m not familiar with conditional trigs. Could you feed a MIDI track back to the DT (externally) to change patterns with a conditional trig, so pattern A repeats 4 times then triggers pattern B that repeats twice, etc.? Essentially build the song within the patterns. Not ideal but might be a workaround.

I canā€™t believe that the pattern chaining is intended to be the ā€œreplacementā€ for song mode. The pattern chaining is an expanded version of whatā€™s on the MD and feels like a basic, expected feature rather than something new and replace-y.

Founders KBS by chance? :beers:

Electrons are great for jamming and improv, a lot of users switch patterns manually and hang on certain parts for various lengths of time and then switch. With practice itā€™s not that hard to remember some structure and recreate it manually. You can build your progressions in sequence, A1,A2,A3,etcā€¦ if you want so easy to chain back togetherā€¦ Not trying to defend lack of anything, just saying what you can doā€¦ I feel like most users donā€™t even use song mode, Elektrons have a certain dynamic flow that yields great to to recreating structure manually and taking tangents here and there, making chains on the fly is a great way to rebuild things similarly enough that itā€™s the same tune, but different and unique to that specific momentā€¦ :monkey_face:

8 Likes