Introducing Digitakt

It doesn’t.

It’s quite simple. If you want to intergrate the Digitakt into your DAW you get Overbridge Premium. If you don’t want to do that then no other feature is locked away.

4 Likes

Advertise Overbridge compatibility like crazy, then include a crippled version :smirk:. Very disappointing. If all products required a extra charge it might be expected, but this just doesn’t feel right.

Putting DT Owners in a different category by charging extra for OB is a low class move.

5 Likes

Dont think Elektron are going to win over too many long term users with the ‘premium’ OB issue, especially with it coming so late in the marketing for Digitakt.
Maybe newcomers to the brand will not be so bothered, everything seems to be ’ in app purchase’ or ‘subscription with ‘free’ updates’ nowdays and youngsters are probably getting used to it.
Me? I like to buy something once amd for it to be mine and fully featured without paying extra.
Just my way of thinking on the issue mind.
Was really interested in this machine to join my trinity but with the price hike and OB ‘upgrade’ id rather buy a second hand OT - or put a bit more in for an MPC live.
But i guess im not the target for this product and people will find it easier and more immediate than an OT i guess.
Ah well …

4 Likes

Thanks for clarifying.

Any chance you can tell us if that wave display will be useful for trimming and chopping?

1 Like

can the Digitakt can be use as a soundcard on regular OB or do i need expensive OB to be functional and stable? i ask this question because it seems that is not been very effective on analogheat or among the other flagship boxes that use OB.

1 Like
1 Like

Is it ok to tell us if it is capable of sampling two mono signals at the same time; and better yet, if it can maybe save them combined as stereo samples too if one pleases?

1 Like

so on paper it claims that it works as a soundcard with core audio on mac os with no issues? why i see on forums that has no been very stable at all or use the vst plug-in make it even worse?

See if you can find a used Octatrack first! It’ll be easier to load with samples(CFD drag and drop into folder) you can use the sequencer buttons to play chromatically,adjust delay for freeze delay features, you’ll have individual effects per channel. And you’ll have two stereo outputs to more finely mix things.

Also performance scenes and three lfos per voice. Find a nice used one, it won’t be TOO much more’

You might think be able to find one that’s only 150-250 more!

4 Likes

Despite North Korea going nuclear and Trump shutting down the U.S., it still takes a product launch to really upset an Elektronaut.

25 Likes

The feature of being able to send separate tracks to separate pedals is pretty locked away too no? Requiring OB premium…

Yeah agreed. MPC Live comes with V2 akai software for FREE. And that’s full on Daw software. DT and MPC Live are looking like total polar opposites in terms of bang for buck. God knows how expensive an OT2 would be under this kind of pricing structure. Like someone else mentioned, this feels like ‘in app purchase’ culture, screw that on a piece of gear this expensive…

2 Likes

Does it time stretch?

2 Likes

:smile:

Nails it !

4 Likes

Apologies in that this has likely been covered in this thread ad nauseum, possibly by me - akai’s recent track record is not encouraging.
On the other hand, as elektron folk, we pretty much have a good idea of what’s coming at a minimum.

1 Like

Normally I’d agree. But overbridge has had its fair share of Akai style delays/issues.
And way more workflow/feature info available for the mpc when pre-orders went live than there is for the DT atm. I still don’t even know for sure that it does internal resampling, timestreching, slicing etc…

2 Likes

I wonder if they are making last minute OS tweaks.

While we wait for those stats, anyone with an OT essentially has 2DTs + quite a bit more.
Edit: except the OB premium thingy. Wait. That’s pretty cool to have for a sampler, but I’ll probably wait for an OT 2.

1 Like

so if digitakt is a failure, sales wise, which it might be, can we please have a machinedrum mk3 black edition with 64 meg sampling, chromatic, and a one gig drive and usb?

6 Likes

Seeing the digitakt drop at this price with so few (apparent) features has somehow kinda made me forgive Korg for being so stingy with the Korg es2. Looks like a bargain now!?

I love Elektron sequencers but I think I can honestly say I’d enjoy adding the es2 to my current setup more and messing with samples on that than this new Elektron box. Which is weird, cos I was hating pretty hard on the Es2 til recently… Thinking about it now tho it’s like a feature fest in comparison…

Super cheap too and apparently has ableton integration and some free editor software etc. Plus ton of effects, poly tracks, expandable memory, portable, stereo samples, x/y pad, automation, velocity sensitive pads, more tracks than DT, bunch of other cool stuff… Looks like a killer deal all of a sudden…

3 Likes

I owned a Tanzbar for awhile. While it does a few neat things, there are mainly two things that makes it shine - the way it sounds, the way it plays.

Neither can be fully understood until you’ve tried it. You can listen to streams and look at videos, but it’s not until you put a pair of headphones on and build your first pattern, that you realise how absolutely amazing it sounds, if you’re into that sort of groove.

And granted, not everyone thinks its workflow makes sense, but if you do, if you use the Tanzbar version of preliminary parameter locks to work your patterns, and if you like it, nothing else compares.

Those two things can’t be explained in a review, nor in a post like this, nor in a video. Your fingers, ears and brain can understand this when you’ve tried it. Not before.

If the DigiTakt makes my samples sound great and my patterns sound tight, and I just love the way it makes my fingers move when I work it, I don’t care about the rest.

And nor will any of you, if the above statement falls out to be true.

You’re going to have to choose if it’s worth your cash. But you make that choice every time you buy a new piece of gear. So it’s not like you haven’t been in this position before, unless you’re totally new to electronic music (and if you are, I envy you for the amazing adventure you’ve got ahead of you).

Now, ask yourself this - why do you presume that the DigiTakt won’t be an absolutely amazing piece of gear?

Given the track record of Elektron’s hardware, what’s most likely? That the DigiTakt’s going to be great, or that it won’t be great? That you don’t know it till you’ve played it, or that you do know it even if you haven’t played it?

Of the above, what’s most likely?

10 Likes