How to use a sampler like musical instrument

Via Vox on youtube
8 Likes

That’s funny because Dilla is clearly one of the artists that motivate me downgrading to a much more simple set up as I said in the OB thread.

2 Likes

Inspiring and makes me question butthurt threads like ‘I’m done with elektron’…lol

1 Like

To be fair- the “I’m done with Elektron” thread(the OP at least) was not butthurt, but a logical conclusion of the workflow- but I get what you mean

2 Likes

Dilla couldve used a OT or DT and still be Dilla

1 Like

Dilla wouldn’t use an Elektron product(MAYbe the heat)- Dilla don’t believe in sequencers

mpc…zzzzzzzz

The MPC is very much a sequencer, albeit not the sort with steps and arpeggiators and whatnot.

1 Like

Why you gotta front like you don’t know what I mean?

1 Like

To be fair, the mpc is used as a starting point for the video because it’s now in a museum. I also feel that it might be easier to explain why he was so creative by explaining the initial constraints of the machine he used. But yeah, clearly, he could have rocked whatever he wanted…

I have never used oldschool mpc like 3000. Nevertheless, what struck me in this video was how much work he was willing to put into the machine. Working with quantised rhythms seems always to be way easier, especially in the world of sampling, where you already have tiny rhythms and grooves inside the slices. To reject that (at least up to extent) and go for the harder option of manually pouncing in the slices, looks awesome and inspiring. Makes me want to learn more about his technique.

1 Like

I think that it’s completely possible dilla would try an octatrack, it would be criminal if one of the worlds most influential sampling artists didn’t even try the worlds most flexible sampling instrument. I’ve always wondered what madlib would do with OT but that guy is notoriously lo-fi, I was reading interviews and I’m pretty sure he didn’t even start using the internet until recently

2 Likes

That video sort of came across as fetishism to me as well. I think the key is that much of what was referenced was comically and intentionally sloppy, as opposed to simply less quantized. That in itself is the sound.

I don’t disagree with the idea that one should perform and record sequences instead of strictly and lazily inputting the notes. Successful musicians have been doing this for decades and across all genres long before J Dilla. If you haven’t attempted this yet, well, you might be missing out.

4 Likes

I think it’s “syncopated” or “swung” rather than “sloppy” if it’s intentional.

:wink:

(but agreed, he didn’t turn quantize off so he could play badly, he turned it off so he could play what he wanted to play)

1 Like

I mean DAMN

3 Likes

I think the word you are looking here is ‘artistic’. It’s part of well orchestrated sound and aesthetic of an artist. Failing to understand that kind of misses the whole point…

Right. It’s the esthetic, not the box, much to the chagrin of those continually on the hunt for the magic box.

However, kick drums being played as if the drummer was a drunk 3 year old is definitely comically and intentionally sloppy, imho. :wink:

2 Likes

Deadly serious and intentionally groovy, is imo the intention here.

You guys get that I’m referencing a passage from the video, right? I didn’t come up with the drunk 3 year old drummer idea and I’m not hating.

2 Likes

tbf, the drunk three year old bit they reference does basically sound like he’s passed out onto the pads in an especially funky way.

1 Like