How to sync Analog Heat's LFO? E-RM Multiclock and Overbridge

Hi there,

I have an external clock (E-RM Multiclock) sending out midi clock into the midi in of the Analog heat.
But when I have Overbridge running I seem not to be able to get a decent sync going.

Is there some setting in the AH I am overlooking or is it not possible to have USB and Overbridge running + Midi sync?

Many thanks!

Hey Deception you need to choose, you SYNC ALL by :
ERM gives midi sync to everyone… or the master Sync is Overbridge. By having both running you create conflicts

• Overbridge

or

• ERM

i have the same like you but ERM is my Studio Sync alternative. (my main when i need perfect recording timing and my main Sync in live performance)

2 Likes

Hi William,

Thanks for the swift response!
On the AH I only found:

1. Settings -> Midi -> Sync -> Clock Receive (which I have checkboxed) and
  2. Settings -> Port Config -> ‘Input from’ where I have selected ‘Midi’ (one can choose from Midi, Usb, or Usb + Midi)

So if I understand you correctly, when I want perfect sync I should not use overbridge but stick to the Analog Heat as an external effect (synced by the ERM Multiclock).

Cheers!

1 Like

i said it’s preferable to choose one way or the another… if you have 2 sync at the same time you introduce conflict in theory. So you need to choose which one works the best depending on what you try to achieve with Midi Sync and the Analog heat…

i imagine you try to sync LFO ?
is it for a LIVE performance or Working on a track ?

Can you describe what you looking for with SYNC, your setup, and also regarding the musical aspect ?

The AH is working on a track in the studio.
It is a saw wave LFO affecting the filter cutoff.

With overbridge in Ableton I can’t get a decent sync going.
I have put the Speedknob (on the AH) to 16 or 32 to have a straight timing and I would expect the filter cutoff to jump in time with the metronome. I can’t get that nowhere near in sync using just overbridge. With the ERM it works but only with overbridge off. This of course resonates with your suggestion to work with just one mastersync (OB or ER-M). I hoped there was a work around to still be able to use OB and work in sync within Ableton.

I have read some of your other posts regarding sync and overbridge with regard to the Rytm with interest.
I have pre-ordered the Rytm MKII and was hoping to use that in Abletonsync with OB and the ER-M.

Do you have a similar situation there you think?
Needing to choose not to use OB in order to get the Rytm to sync properly with Ableton?

Have a great weekend, thanks!

I think the next version of Overbridge which comes in February 2018 will solve things and make Sync Tighter…

Have you tried to set the SYNC OFF on Overbridge :

maxresdefault

And passing ERM clock Midi Out to Analog Heat Midi in (and set in Analog Heat Sync Midi clock receive, transport receive)

?

Abletonsync with OB and the ER-M : To me it’s a non-sense, it’s not working like that. You have one Sync solution to choose, something to be the Master Sync and all the other equipment Slaved on it. If you not keep that in mind you will experiencing the worst … and it’s not what’s Sync is intended to do to yourself, it’s intended to make life better and not the contrary.

Your ERM must provide a Sync where everything is TIGHT. You have delay know on it to make everything in SYNC it’s up to you to set it up and make things works.

IS600727-01-01-BIG

NB : You just have to set it up correctly. Hit records and shift things to get everything one by one in time. (you can help with the Ableton metronome) when everything is in Sync you forget Sync and work

Generally the Shift offset is usually in delay and not in advance because it’s the time for the audio to be recorded by the soundcard/computer you delayed it to match your DAW Grid

Do the same with your Analog Heat by setting a filter with LFO synced to the BPM you normally find your sync offset with something highly noticeable regarding the modulation depth it’s must be something rhythmic and kind of huge so it will be easier to find the appropriate amount of Shift offset on the ERM

Also if your LFO phase in not perfectly on Beat you may have difficulties to set it up i would choose a SQUARE or something more abrupt just to set it up you SHIFT when you find it you can do whatever you want.

Timing are not that bad… from what i have tested on my iMac (yes it’s depends on a lot of things so that’s why all people not get the same results)

Results vary regarding DAW, at the time i made the templates i notice i have slightly better timing with Bitwig.

On my computer i can work with Overbridge and Record without too much headache. Where it’s complicate things is when you want to be able to work in a loop matching elektron 4 bars… all the time and be able to record at any time in perfect tight on all individuals with 2 or 3 Elektron devices.
==> in this scenario i think a hardware midi sync solution is better because of its OFFSET/SHIFT Knob to put midi in delay so the audio is recorded exactly where we want.

But i think the next version of Overbridge will be better especially with Mark2 because of its upgraded USB Speed. And of course Overbridge enhancements.

1 Like

Hello gentlemen,

I guess I found the difference between our situations.
Heat’s overbridge plugin (overbridge 1.15) has no ‘Machine Sequencer Off’ setting like the Rytm has.
Please take a look at the print screen’s.

&

Last tests remain the same:

1. Perfect sync with just the erm multiclock in ableton with the AH as an external effect
  2. No sync (far from) with just using overbridge (so only the usb is connected to the AH)

I can’t swith OB’s syncing off, like you guys can in the Rytm vst.
I would prefer to use OB now but can only do so at the sacrifice of not being in sync.
The OB analog heat vst doesn’t tolerate for another device, like the the ERM Multiclock to take over syncing.

I hope in the next version of OB they build this in so that OB sync can be switched off just like in the Rytm OB vst plugin

So much disinformation spread up here!

Got the same advice in my thread, to turn off sync for Analog HEAT, while THERE IS NO SYNC OPTION FOR HEAT!

Am I missing something here?

You are right in this. I’ll delete those replies commenting the Heats sync option (which there’s none of)! :slight_smile:

I have major problems with OB and an ERM as well. I was running the ERM on all my gear except my Analog 4 which was synced via OB and it was unusable… OB swings all over the place while the ERM is rock solid. I have since abandoned OB and am using my stereo outs from the A4 instead of OB. It’s less than ideal but in my opinion, rock solid sync is much more important multitrack recording my A4…

For me, it’s RIP OB :frowning: its just not stable enough for proper studio use…