How to connect aa new analog heat Mk 2 in my setup

Hey,

Am pondering getting the new analog heat to supplement the effects of my Octatrack but unsure of where / how to connect it with having to sacrifice one of my external pieces of kit.

This is my current setup

Octatrack mk2
Erebus
Dfam
Grandmother
Drumbrute

MIDI out of OT into a MIDI splitter
MIDI track 1 = MIDI CHANNEL 1 into EREBUS
MIDI track 2 = MIDI CHANNEL 2 into GrandMother which then sends clock onto the DFAM
MIDI track 3 = MIDI CHANNEL 3 into Arturia Drumbrute

Then audio into the Octatrack as follows;

EREBUS = channel A
Grandmother = channel B
DFAM = channel C
Arturia Drum-brute = channel D

So where best would a new analog heat fit in? Using the midi splitter then straight back through midi into Octatrack when all other sources are using audio and not midi? Would that work?

Thoughts welcome.

If you want to midi control the Heat’s filter and other parameters with the Octatrack’s sequencer you could just add it to the 4th output of your midi splitter.

If you want to use the Heat as a master effect just put it on the output of the Octatrack. If you want to be able to send certain Octatrack tracks to it you could premix all of your synths on a small stereo mixer and send them all into AB and use CD and Cue Out to use the Heat as a send effect.

If you want to decide when synths and the OT get sent to the Heat in real-time and when synths get sent to the OT for being sampled a better option may be to get a Mackie 1402 to combine with all of your gear and this would open your routing options up tremendously.

2 Likes

Hey there great reply thanks.

So to use it as a master effects unit you said to use it as an output from the Octa. Which output should be used for this?

As I’ve had issues with outputs in the Octatrack before so that’s why I’m checking. I think I’ll stay clear of external mixers with the Octatrack for now I think that would be overkill for me can see the advantage.

Main Outs to AH input. AH output to powered speakers or whatever. If using headphones use the headphone jack on the AH.

1 Like

As I use headphones I’d still use my headphones through the Octatrack. Wouldn’t I?

Not if you want to hear what the Heat is doing to your signal as a master effect. Sound goes out of the OT into the AH, out of the AH into a playback device (headphones, speakers, amplifier with speakers).

If you want to use it as a send effect, described above, then you can use the OT’s headphone jack.

edit: I previously wrote “insert effect” instead of “send effect”.

Ok so one last clarification. If I have it hooked up as a master effect but I’m editing a track through the Octatrack but not adding any effects I would still get my headphone audio through the AH? Or would that be silly? Just as an example.

Master effect implies that everything being listened to is listened to through the master effect. It effects the entire mix. All 8 tracks would be effected by the Analog Heat. You could just hit bypass on the Heat to turn it off and not have to change to the OT’s headphone jack if you wanted to listen to something without the Heat on it. But since your entire mix will effected by the Heat you may as well leave it on on the desired setting.

If you only want to hear the Heat on certain tracks then you need to set it up with the CD/Cue Mix method.

1 Like