Hi quick octatrack question

i have a sample that is longer than 64 steps. is there a way i can play the entire thing and also have it loop ? if not then do i need to make another trig on a pattern and somehow arrange for the sample to begin where the last one left off>??

also; if i have all 8 tracks used up with samples loaded, do i need to switch projects before i can load new samples onto those tracks? for example; all 8 tracks have samples loaded on them, and i have actually 40-50 more samples and i want to be able to load a pattern on the fly that uses an all new sample “set” . plz helps

I think I’m right in saying :
Set the sample running using one-shot trig.
Set sample to loop in the audio editor.
Ensure option ‘plays free’ in track edit menu is also ticked.

edit : you may have to use a flex machine to do this. Not certain you can do this with static machine… would need to test to check

i am awaiting the arrival of an OT to complement my A4, does this mean you can have a sample/loop on a track that will loop independently of the sequencer ? so presumably you can slow/reverse or pitch change this and any other looping samples on other tracks !? ideally of different sample lengths for phasing fun #stevereich

1 Like

you can do that with flex machines, since you can trigger recording and playback without even starting the sequencer. unlike a looper however, they’re triggered independently, so there’s the added challenge of stopping recording and starting playback at the same time. there are various musical and technical ways of accomplishing that though…[/quote]
(from the ‘playing the octatrack’ thread)

sweet ! - i’ll read the forum front to back after i’ve got the OT booted up and have a bit of knowledge - helped enormously on A4 as the manual is hmpfff

so Avantronica you got the OT??

G R E A T !!!

The manual for the Octatrack is really good. I mean it’s a bit weirdly structured, but the information’s mostly there. When combined with a few youtube vids (both the Elektron ones, and those by Elektron users) and a dip into the forum you should be right.
I had a week of thinking ‘am I ever going to get my head around this thing though’ It is DEEP :slight_smile:

Hopefully tomorrow - expect lots of questions (i’ll read the forums first) !
I expect some early confusion about sets and parts and looking forward to making some source material for it to re-order. I won’t need any more Elektron stuff, I hope ! Looking forward to the bigger screen, is it HD ! :wink:

After three years, I still find new things to do with the OT. You made a very good choice Avantronica!

[font=Times New Roman","serif]cygnus
[font=Times New Roman","serif]i have a sample that is longer than 64 steps. is there a way i can play the entire thing and also have it loop ? if not then do i need to make another trig on a pattern and somehow arrange for the sample to begin where the last one left off>??

also; if i have all 8 tracks used up with samples loaded, do i need to switch projects before i can load new samples onto those tracks? for example; all 8 tracks have samples loaded on them, and i have actually 40-50 more samples and i want to be able to load a pattern on the fly that uses an all new sample “set” . plz helps

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hy cygnus,

depending on your way of “composing” there are several ways to do what you describe.
I think the easiest way would be the following:

1. Fill your slot list with the samples you like to loop (static or flex machine, for longer samples static machines are well suited, since their length is not limited by the available RAM, only by the capacity of your CF-Card)
  2. Select an empty pattern
  3. Use Function + Arrow down to select play mode “slot”
  4. Select one of the 8 tracks by tapping on it (by default they probably are all using static machines, which is fine)
  5. Start your first sample-loop by hitting a trig-button - it starts playing and looping
  6. Select another of the 8 tracks
  7. Start your second sample-loop by hitting a trig button - it starts playing and looping

Repeat step 4 and 5 if you want up to 8 samples looping together.
Change the activited samples by hitting a different trig-button (in slot-mode).

With the described method you would not need any pattern going. Probably you even do not need the sequencer running at all. You can just “play” your loops live, by activating them with manually with the trig-buttons.
However, if you want them to start at a defined time in sequence, you can program trigs in your pattern. One-shot-Trigs are well suited to set the start of your looping-action. Regular trigs will restart the loop in sync depending on the sequencer-movement.

But: It is also easy to combine sequenced patterns with manual live action, e.g. by “freeing” some tracks from the sequencer (by selecting plays-free-mode within the pattern-menu).

So, in principle, there are at least three ways to do what you described:
a) without sequencer running (you just do not need it running, to start a sample)
b) controlled and synced by the pattern-sequencer
c) with some tracks synced by sequencer and some started (played) manually.

Another thing: You say:

[font=Times New Roman","serif] “i want to be able to load a pattern on the fly that uses an all new sample “set” .”

[font=Times New Roman","serif]
A new “set” means you would have to load a new project, if by “set” you mean the “slot-list” of the static or flex machines.

[font=Times New Roman","serif]However, if you just want to have a pattern, that uses certain samples from your list, this is easy and you do not need a new project for this. Just use trigs in your pattern. Any trig can play any sample from you slot-lilst. Just “hold” the trig and select your sample from the list by using the “level-knob” (this is called “sample lock” and is tdecribed in the manual, page 89).
With “sample lock” you chose the sample on a per-trig-basis. But the “default” sample of a track is still defined by your “part”-setting. That means, you must change part if you want the “default” sample of a track to be changed. Parts can be assigned to patterns … so with for example by changing from pattern 01/part 1 to pattern 02 (with part 2 assigned to pattern 02) it would be possible what you asked …

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Sounds complicated? Not at all. You just have to experiment(!) to find your preferred way of doing things with the OT.

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Have fun!

You can have tracks playing at different speeds.

For example if your sample that is 8Bar long, you can set an OT track to play at 1/2 speed, so each step with last 2x 16/bar giving you an 8Bar long track.

In the same way you can set independent lengths and tracks will loop unlinked/asynchronous.

but that won’t let you do this ! :wink:

perfect - that’s been my experience with A4, it rewards digging deeper and curiosity ! :slight_smile: #keepsgettinbetter

That I’ll do it with four tracks, same sample started with a one shot trigger, no time-stretch, then subtle pitch modulation and level/pan automation.

hmm, analogous to tape then ,nice ! :wink:

Perhaps even possible with just two tracks?

I´m thinking each track with their own one shot trigger, into delay with an double LFO setup (first LFO with ONE setting controlling the delay time, second LFO with ONE setting increasing the LFO speed)… sloooooooooowly increasing the time parameter?

Fire off the samples, then turn each delay lock ON? And let the LFO´s take care of the rest?

Just from top of my head though. Maybe I´m forgetting something here…

this was extremely helpful. thank you!

perfect - that’s been my experience with A4, it rewards digging deeper and curiosity ! :slight_smile: #keepsgettinbetter[/quote]
can i ask u a question
i bought an a4 last yr and i use it quite a bit but,
mostly just for doing basslines and lead arp/sounds, future sounding shit
and its always u know, set track length to 64 steps, button-in a nice pattern,
this is completely within my needs, but, is there a bit more to do with this synth?
i mean, not rly from a sound design perspective, but (and i know this is an octatrack thread so sorry for going off topic) but whats some of the stranger territories on the a4? i’ve been staying safe w/ it so far. i do not understand the arpeggiator yet either

perfect - that’s been my experience with A4, it rewards digging deeper and curiosity ! :slight_smile: #keepsgettinbetter[/quote]
can i ask u a question
i bought an a4 last yr and i use it quite a bit but,
mostly just for doing basslines and lead arp/sounds, future sounding shit
and its always u know, set track length to 64 steps, button-in a nice pattern,
this is completely within my needs, but, is there a bit more to do with this synth?
i mean, not rly from a sound design perspective, but (and i know this is an octatrack thread so sorry for going off topic) but whats some of the stranger territories on the a4? i’ve been staying safe w/ it so far. i do not understand the arpeggiator yet either [/quote]
the a4 for me rarely sounds safe - i look for the dark corners with it, mostly without the sequencer - start here and never look (feed)back
++++++++++++++++++
Let the OT get here soon mr postman, looking fwd to trying this stuff out, especially w/o the sequencer

ok so ive got this track with this super long stringy part, and its at least 128 steps long
for that track its

start silent - auto
plays free - X’ed in
oneshot trk -

fuck it

super confusing. please help? manual does not help me either

i just want to it to play when i trig it from the sequencer and then let it loop itself