Help me appreciate the Rytm

I know, it sounds like heresy, but the Rytm and I are just not clicking, same way as I didn’t click with the Machinedrum before, I think it’s because of the “machine” structure, ie, different machine for different roles.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some really outstanding tutorials that will make me love it (I’ve already watched all the usual suspects like Cuckoo, Dataline , the guy with the fancy gloves etc) or give me some hints/tips on how to get the best out of this and start a lovely relationship?

I used it paired to the OT and the OT gets all the love…

1 Like

Hi,
It depends on music you are doing, but I liked this two videos from utube:

Second one not really a tutorial, but it shows a lot of sonic possibilities…

Enjoy!

1 Like

I think the Elektron sample packs have some great example patterns and synth sounds to enjoy. They showed me all kinds of neat features I had no idea about. Just upload the samples and the Syx files and just inspect what’s recorded in each part and page through the machine setttings to see what’s going on in the sound generators. A nice bonus is you’ll have some solidly mastered samples to mess with in the future. 909/808 and VHS are all pretty cool in their own right.

Agree on your analysis about how the machines are structured. I know it’s first world whining but when I get to choose between different synth types, I get option paralysis. No such issue on the a4.
My solution to loving the RYTM is I basically use one kit and tweak to taste. I learned that I do not love all of the synth voices and that it’s not me. So I keep my favorite kit and play around with settings and patterns.

2 Likes

I love different machines, just wish there were more.

Also, put the real time recording on, 64 steps and start tweaking synth etc settings. Awesome variations and analog vibes!

I struggled with the RYTM when I first got it due to my want of using only synthesis and the limited machine options.

My main recommendation is to find some classic drum machine samples and other noises and such and stock your RYTM up. Then, instead of writing tracks and songs, just spend a few days making awesome presets. From there, I suggest getting an iPad and Strom. I loaded up a bunch of vocal samples, soundscapes and random “in the field” recordings into my iPad and now I have an extra 5gbs of sounds I can drop into the RYTM directly from strom.
If I already had an OT, I’d still do the same but would use the AR strictly for one shot percussion comprised from every and any sound I could get.

For me, once I stopped expecting perfection from synthesis only and embraced samples, the sound pool and the trig options I literally find myself stooped over this thing for hours a day.

3 Likes

The Rytm has, like any other drum machine, a very distinctive flavor. It is great for Dataline kind of music, more experimental and playful stuff. For raw techno the Tanzbär sounds much better to me. Samples don’t always cut it and then I’d rather use Ableton, it sounds better with samples (stereo and no noise floor).
The flexibility and interface of the Rytm is hard to beat though. If it had midi out I’d probably use it as a master drum machine controller.

Since i store my sounds… i only use a few… and it opened a new workflow where i have more focus on building up and playing with… and my different songs are more in balance with each other.

I use perf. To play with rev dec and rev freq, del fb and del rev send. I send auto to fx and play with it… i use song mode to create variations. I use scenes for breaks, fills (turning vol on and off of different sounds with their own patterns)…

I use trig conditions, 1:3 , 8:8, etc…
I use probavility like 15%
I use fill mode

So summarized…
I have my own sound… i make some patterns… then i have many ways to adjust things to build up and let go tention…

2 Likes

Very cool, nice way of describing your usage.

Theres a lot of depth lingering in these machines. Easy to get stuck in a limited workflow, not making use of all the options.

1 Like

It sounds like this could be my problem too, I try to see it a synthesis machine first…

Just keep using it it click eventually. Had the same prob now it’s like a extension of my mind

1 Like

yes definitely use samples tho.

http://www.valerrecords.com/store/?p=ar808.html Really convincing 808 sounds using only the synthesis engines.

This demonstrates how powerful the synthesis can be if you make use of the extra shaping abilities of the ONE shot LFO.

AR808 - Released @JustinValer talks a bit about his approach in this thread!

If you have iOS I’d say buy Collider and Strom, then if you still don’t like it give up and get something else!

1 Like