Headphone Recommendations?

open backs right?

Yep

1 Like

AKG K371 (and K361 to a less extent) are tuned to the Harman Curve.

AKG is now owned by Harman/Samsung.

Ex-AKG in Austria have set up a new shop, called Austrian Audio.
Going to grab a pair of these Hi-X55s.

1 Like

which beyerdynamics did you replace with those ?

Would 63 Ohms be considered low or high impedance?

Probably high? I think anything >50 Ohms is considered high impedance.

1 Like

I have pretty big ears (I think? I certainly used to as a kid, maybe I’ve grown into them a bit!) and I don’t find the ear pads on the NDH20 an issue at all. I actually find them really comfy given the size, I probably enjoy wearing them more than the DT770 they replaced actually.

Great headphones, especially if closed back is a requirement (I use mine in the living room a lot, so my partner wouldn’t appreciate open back!), was really glad someone on this forum recommended them as I was looking high and low for suitable headphones and didn’t come across them – the music I’ve made on them translates to speakers much more easily than anything I did in the past, so a worthwhile investment in that sense.

Edit: oh, and no issue powering them reasonably loud from Elektron devices or my iPad

1 Like

Having Beyerdynamic DT990, AKG 271 and Superlux something as headphones, I prefer the DT‘s, but lately I am thinking about adding a pair of Avantone Planar, to go to the next level, so to say. Someone having experience with those 456€ heavy knockers?

Not tried the Avantone Planars but I researched them a lot when moving up from DT990/770. In the end, I went with the slightly cheaper but wonderful Audeze LCD-1. They’re well worth considering!

In fact, Sound On Sound compared them (and other Audeze planar headphones) in this review:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/avantone-planar

2 Likes

Nice, I was searching for reviews, but missed that one.

1 Like

Because of your rec, these are cued up for when I can do. :+1:t6:

1 Like

I have Beyerdynamic DT880, DT990 Edition, and Sennheiser hd600. I think they all sound great. The hd600 are the most “neutral” I would think. I like the sound of the DT990 the most for listening to music. I “mix” in the hd600.

1 Like

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro (250 Ohm) probably the best ones in price/quality/sound ratio. DT 770 (250) are quite nice ones too, but closed back cups have little bit smaller scene. They both have not excellent pure or flat sound, but with some calibrating soft like Sonarworks Reference or Sienne, etc its going to be the ultimate killa, in this price range ofc. Tank quality build is a big advantage as well)

2 Likes

I used to think Beyerdynamic were pretty good and used 990s and 770s with Sonarworks quite happily for a few years. Then I got some Audeze LCD-1s (as mentioned above) and I haven’t touched the Beyers since that day because now they sound muffled down low, harsh up top and generally ill-defined in terms of transient detail. The LCD-1s are a bit more expensive but well worth the extra cash.

1 Like

A bit more expensive lol

They are 4 times the price of the Beyer Dynamic DT770

2 Likes

whom’s using the Sennheiser HD 6XX, and what do you think of them?

1 Like

Kind of depends on what you’re comparing them to. They fit right in to that whole 580, 600, 650 range, with the 6xx sitting closer to the 650 to my ears. So if you’re familiar with those, there are no surprises here.

1 Like

I have had a set for a couple of years. They are my favorite pair of cans. They sound really nice for listening to records and are great for mixing. There is a bit of a rolloff on the bass that happens around 100hz, but that can be the case with open back cans. I don’t really notice it when I am listening to records, but for mixing, I use sonarworks, which compensates and gives a nice even response. And if you are going to incorporate mixing with any headphones, I would recommend sonarworks or something similar.

1 Like

anyone have these TE M1’s

I do. Very nice, extremely portable set of headphones. The drivers are a step up from what you’d find in an airport vending machine but are nothing to write home about. Same with isolation. They don’t block out much of the environment. But for on-ear headphones I find them pretty comfortable.

The little boom mic is likewise on par with tiny condensers and nothing to write home about except that it’s very posable and has a quite sturdy bendy-metal-thing arm. Ideal for getting just the right distance from your mouth/away from your breath/whatever.

I think where they really shine is their portability — just as the pair of headphones (and mic!) you always have with you ready to go. The real comparison in this case is with the ubiquitous white apple earbuds, and stacked up against those, the M1’s sound, mic, control (there’s a button on ear cups) and comfort are all way better, IMHO.

1 Like