Headphone Recommendations?

Sennheiser HD600/650 for mixing- these are used also by some famous mastering engineer

Beyer Dynamic DT770 for tracking

I have both and I prefer HD650.

It is super light and comfortable for long hours use.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/sennheiser-hd600?amp

3 Likes

This sounds literally great! If you donā€™t want/have monitors i would recommend to get used to the NDH 20 and keep the 990s to have a second pair for comparison.

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 for tracking and testing stuff.

Audeze LCD-X for careful leveling and balancing.

Shure SRH1840 - incredible cans, comfy, non-fatiguing.

I canā€™t recommend them high enough, they are my best ever purchase music production wise.

Warning tho, wouldnt by any cans of eBay - tonnes of very good fakes and eBay wonā€™t do anything about itā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ll be a good boy and open them on xmas eve

2 Likes

If money is not an object - senheiser hd850.
you wonā€™t regret it.

Iā€™ve been using the NDH20 for several days now, from listening to music on Tidal to Jamming on my elektron setup and mixing from within the instruments and Iā€™m really happy with how they vibe. This is my first pair of expensive headphones and Iā€™m not by any means an expert but the sound is just next level compared to something like the DT770 for example. And the 150 ohms really help compared to some of the higher class Senheisers which are 300 or 600 and you need a separate amp to drive. The build quality is 9.5/10, comfort - stable 7.5/10. If someone is looking for new headphones, I can recommend.

2 Likes

I had used Grado Labs SR225 for listening/studio duties for many years. Eventually a driver got damanged. I dealt with the Japanese distributor per Grado Labs advice. They repaired the drive for a decent price (less than 25% of the product cost). There was a problem with the initial repair, and they upgraded both drivers to the newest SR225e ones at no additional cost.

Compare that to recent problems with my Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros. The cushions are way overpriced. Once cleaned properly (which they will inevitably need), they loose their shape, and their sound quality diminishes. When asked about repairs (same driver problem as the Grados), the estimate was about 100% of the product value, and just ā€œbuying a new one was recommended.ā€

The difference between my experience with Grado and Beyerdynamic really left a bad taste in my mouth. Both issues with the DT990s really makes them an unattractive buy imo. I had even considered DT770s for commutes, but no longer.

I have Audeze LCD-X for detail and mixing duties. Anyone have a good rec for versitile studio headphones - specifically those with good customer service to back them up?

1 Like

I donā€™t know about their customer service because Iā€™ve never needed it, but I love love love my AKG K702s. I am not particularly careful with mineā€¦I take them to outdoor festivals as DJ headphones and just chuck 'em in a backpack. I leave them on the floor at home lol. They are still kicking with zero damage and the sound is fantastic. I guess a lot of people donā€™t like them for electronic music but I if they ever break Iā€™d happily buy another pair.

I think they may not be on the level of Grado but the only thing Iā€™ve done is upgrade the cord from the standard soft rubber to something more sturdy. No need to replace any parts due to failure. edit; oh yea, you can easily replace the cord! I donā€™t understand why other expensive headphones arenā€™t built like this.

4 Likes

https://www.themasterswitch.com/best-high-end-headphones

100%

best studio headphones Iā€™ve heard in years

Super flat, clear, and revealing.

They also go very low for an open back studio headphone.

Even better when combined with a subpac though

I had Sennheiser HD380, they have a bump at
6 kHz, before Sonarworks i always compensated for this bump.

Also high frequency is percieved louder at close range, so i turned percussions to less level. How do you cope with this?

i switched to 1990 Beyerdynamic, and are happy with them.

Iā€™ve started using Monolith m1060c converted to open back - theyā€™re good! Much less low end roll-off than others.

Hd650 best headphones I never had !

This makes a lot of sense to me. If you are used to a pair, whatever that pair is, you know how all the music you listen to sounds through them. The pair may not be ā€˜trueā€™ or ā€˜flatā€™, but however it warps a recording, you are used to that warping, and know how talking heads, joy division, etc, sound warped. And you mix against that. That familiarity is probably more important than the pair of headphones itself.

4 Likes

Sennheiser HD25. Classics .

8 Likes

For several years, the AKG K712 PRO have been my preferred headphones in the studio.

Iā€™m in love with the Audeze LCD-1. At 400 notes, theyā€™re hard to beat for clarity compared to Beyerdynamic 770 and 990 (my only comparisons), even with Sonarworks. Now Iā€™m listening to everything through the Auedeze so that I truly know them before mixing without any EQ correction.

4 Likes

I am using the Beyerdynamic 770 / 32Ohms for abut one year. Closed construction, solid bass and not too expensive. Also very comfortable to wear.

I love my Grado SR80e. Nothing fancy but sound and feel amazing for $99. Sold my Beyerdynamic as the Grados do it all now.

1 Like