Future Artist calls for modular-MIDI-processing ideas

in follow up to my previous post on the SuperBooth 2018 thread, I’m VERY pleased to see new (english) videos from Matthias and Co. at Future Artist showing at SuperBooth 2018.

Here, Gaz from SonicState go in depth about the MIDI Platform.

REALLY exciting to see things things lit-up and making sounds.
The text display on the screen, and the last-thing-touched chasing looks great.
From both the video and my various communications with him, I’m very excited to see…

• multiple MIDI I/O ports
  • generative LFOs and ENVelopes for MIDI data (CCs) OR for other onboard parameters
  • splitting and merging of MIDI data (i.e. one note-stream to multiple parallel Arps or sequencers).
  • Direct MIDI control of these plugin’s parameters. Imagine being able to use a bog-standard MIDI note/CC to control rec/play/clear/etc of a sequencer, which (still) requires front-panel fingers even on Elektron gear.

…so this thing looks like it could go REAL deep along the lines of what can be done within the MIDI side of the OT (LFOs, Arps on a Step Sequencer), so I wanted to share with you all.

Sounds like Matthias welcomes input and ideas for the Platform (plugins, routing, OS features), so if you’ve got ideas, email him directly at:
info@future-artist.com

dream deep !

Looks interesting, some of this can already be done on the Squarp Pyramid though, so it will probably not be of much use to me personally unless they add a kick-ass multi channel and full featured sequencer to rival the Pyramid. Still, nice to see more of this kind of thing, taking midi further.

1 Like

I can see how the Squarp is a comparable tool. Glancing at the manual, it looks like you’re limited to 4 MIDI FX per track, and that MIDI-processing path is isolated to track (like insert FX).

From my talks with Matthias at Future Artist, he’s interested in modular patching, so you could split/route/merge MIDI streams, much more like aux sends.

img63

The Squarp seems like a “power-tool” centerpiece sequencer, where the Platform might be more of a “mulit-tool” for extending control and expression of other gear.